Modern History? (1 Viewer)

JessicaMiller

HSC
I'm thinking about dropping Modern History. It's kind of boring me, we're learning about the fall of the Romanov Dynasty at the moment. To whoever has done Modern History, does it get more interesting? Because right now, my modern history classes are boring..
Oh and any comments if I drop Modern history and pick up Music??

mioumiou

HSC
I do Modern History too, but the fall of the Romanov Dynasty is our next topic. We're currently doing the presidency and the assassination of JFK. It's nearly Week 5 for this Term now, and most of the classes have gone through fair amount of work. Unless, you are really good at music or you're really interested at music than Modern History, than change it. But it's not the BESt option.

I think after these two topics, we're doing the Vietnam War and the stuff about the 20th Century. Modern History wasn't my first choice (I prefer ancient history more) but unfortunately, I've got clashes between my subjects but I love doing history and Modern turns out quite well for me.

But it's you're decisions anyway, and good luck with you're studies!

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Music is gay. K now that i got that clear.

No Modern is going to continue to be boring for you if you have the same boring teacher. So either get a different teacher or be gay. :rolleyes:

JessicaMiller

HSC
I only picked Modern History because world war 1 is in it..
And in year 10, I came first in that course.
And about music, I do music outside of school.. maybe that could help?

agathaa

HSC
It really depends on what your school has decided for you to learn in Year 11- make sure you ask your teacher about what else you're doing and you can make your decision based on this. If the topics you'll be studying aren't that interesting for you, then have a look at the other options that you can do instead of Modern History. :rolleyes:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
There are many great options in Modern.

What one person finds boring another will find the most interesting of all.

You need to find out what else your teacher has planned, read about those topics a little bit and then make a decision but do it quickly.

I don't teach the Fall of the Romanovs but every year I get kids desperate to study that as the Russian Revolution is something they find fascinating (and I have kids at this stage of the year hating Meiji Restoration but love the rest of the course and come back in Year 12 and say they really enjoyed the Japanese topic as it was something different but that they didn't fully appreciate it at the time).

agathaa

HSC
I don't teach the Fall of the Romanovs but every year I get kids desperate to study that as the Russian Revolution is something they find fascinating
I personally love the Russian Revolution :)

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I honestly loved the fall of the Romanovs, I really can't comment on music but really if you aren't finding it interesting you aren't going to score well. But check what topics you are going to do with your teacher and do a bit of side research to find out whether you'll like it later on.

Memi

HSC
N/A
I actually loathe Modern History (..not exactly. Just the topic! D:)
We are doing French Revolution and I find it utterly tiring. I feel lethargic constantly in Mod.
I just wanted to learn about Hitler honestly :p

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
We are doing French Revolution and I find it utterly tiring. I feel lethargic constantly in Mod.

Check with your teacher to find out if you are doing Germany and Conflict in Europe otherwise you won't be doing Hitler at all.

Sculzyoner

HSC
We're doing French colonisation of Indochina which is actually quite interesting. It leads on to the Vietnamese War next year.

Oobadoo

HSC
I feel exactly the same. I feel like falling asleep in modern right now, it is so utterly dull and SCish. The American Civil Rights Movement is hidiously boring.

Though I must endure to the better topics later this year. :p

duckcowhybrid

HSC
If you do the Arab Israeli conflict then you will truely know what boring is.
Well seeing all the people die is fun. We did Hitler (FUCK YEAH), Romanovs (FUCK YEAH) and Israel (FUCK NO).

Hitler is awesome, and very interesting, ditto Romanovs (Rasputin was weeks of us laughing at him). Israel not so much, probably since you hate/can't hate both sides equally. You can't feel sympathy (both are guilty) but you can understand their suffering.

Modern in general is a kickass subject unless you are really good at Music and are changing to Music 2 (don't do Music 1 it's an utter joke) don't do it.

gella

HSC
dude what decline and fall of the romanov dynasty is fucking ace

dan2452

HSC
IMO Modern History is a really good subject. We were doing the russian revolution and JFK which was really interesting. Buttt, if you don't like the subject or your teacher I'd think about dropping it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)