Module B - Critical Study of Texts (1 Viewer)

vicburke

Capt. Schneider Bandwagon
HSC
Its an essay - you dont use personal pronouns! Geez
I liked the question - it was similar to last year and it did make sense of course context will influence the interpretation of the novel - without the influence of context there is no novel.

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Ahhhh this question had me stumped for a while (Speeches)...in fact if it wasn't for rest breaks, this question probably would've screwed me over quite a bit. I left it until last and if I hadn't have had that time to clear my head...my writing wouldn't have made any sense at all.

But in comparison to the other questions, I only managed 6 pages on this one :s whereas I was writing 11 for the others...

HSC
yeh i f*cked it up a bit

most of my grade didn't write their own interpretation im fkn lucky i read the question like 12 times coz i wrote my own interpretation (which is a family tragedy) but i forgot to write how my time and place has influenced that oh well i wrote that that fkn old peice of shit deserved everything that came to him and 'the punishment fit the crime' lol.

by extracts it meant versions, readings

as in brooks, eyre, tate etc

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
totally not what i expected from this question
it throw me for along time
still don't completly understand it
how can i just us 2 extracts from cloudstreet
its a fucking novel!
i can't talk about it if u say 2 extracts
i cannot go into depth when the board say that
why couldn't i just learn two scence
why did i have to learn the whole book
if you were just going to ask me for 2 extracts
ARGHHHHH i hate english
i am so glad i never have to do it again
and the board should make questions understandable!

greentree

ahh shit, bloody extracts!!!!
i did a tate one and some other shit but there was so not long enough, for any of it!!!stupid Lear, doesn't dserve a question alll to itself!!!
and i agree that the questions were a bit ambiguous, though at least i kinda knew what to expect after the first one, can't wait till its all over!!!!!!
damn stinky hsc:)

babygoose!

>>rraahhh<<
HSC
i'm so glad they didnt specify a speech for us to write about...made it so much easier...i didnt think the question was too bad..just mainly talked about the context of each and how they dont apply to my life in Australia..sorta put my own interpretation in there as well

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
yer dat extract question in k lear was f#ckd up bigtime.....like i didnt get wtf it meant like if it was quote or scene or production or wateva, i ended up riting everhtin i cud remember but still dat was a stupid qn!!!

Cab31

HSC
people seem to have answered a fair bit different to me.
i started of by doing act 1 sc 1 in depth and how that related to my 'family psychological'view of the text. but i didnt really refer to the eyre production too much...just a little of how he changed the text in that scene to suit the same view of the text i had.
then i went on to argue how the storm scene was all Lear's fault because in my opinion it is Lear who's character flaw causes the chaos...then i compared a little to a marxist interpretation and then finished it off saying something about Lear being universal.
the question had to be one of the hardest they have i ever given for lear i wreckon

Eddie2004

HSC
oh that was baaaaaad

God, that must of been the stupidest question ever!!! Your context? God, I don't have context, I just sit there and never pay attention to what's around me. Is it ok I crapped on about textual integrity, a bit on marxist, and kinda skipped the whole context thing? That was bloody aawweffuull!!!!

Just like Mondays one - journey of the heart (for inner) what the hell?! We never learnt ANYTHING that you could use for that, and I, like a total moron dont do the physical one! I deserve a crappy UAI for beig such a dumbass! Damn BOS!!!

Although, section 1 & 3 today wern't too bad.

L45er

Booyakasha
HSC
The whole point of this module is to study texts in various contexts. For example, Gwen Harwood can be read from a psychological context in that some of her poems portray Sigmund Freud's oedipal complex. Another context is theological with emphasis on religion. You are supposed to "evaluate skillfully the reception of the text by different responders in different contexts." Although the question didn't necessarily specify this (although between the thick black lines at the beginning of the question it does) this is was you are supposed to write about.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
steph@nie said:
i got ass raped.
Some people on this board may take that mean that you did well, differing receptions, differing contexts :uhhuh:

_megs_

hmm english paper2

i found king lear alright, it's my worst module of english but it was sooo much better then the catholic trial! the place bit was strange, i didnt understand that. but u know ya can know everything
i loved frontline, i was hoping the miracle of a speech question and it was!!! :) i must say listing to my orm; "tabloid magazine" by living end right up until i left home was the best thing i did :)
in the wild was pretty good to, not saying that any of my responses were good but, i felt comfortable with the question.
maybe im just delerious, because i was terrified of this exam i really wanted to achieve the best i could. and i've already completed 1/2 of my exams... so tired.... good luck to all of u!

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
yea .... but we wanna know what happened DURING the exam.
mabye she is recalling what happened during the exam, you can never trust those old ladies that supervise, they might be man rapists in disguise ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

matt_a

Har Har Har!

I thought the question was brilliant! For once it asked what the Module is all about. YOUR INTERPRETATION and the TEXT! Yes, you actually had to have a deep understanding of the Text itself and the way it works to answer it. I have a feeling this will sort the kids from the goats, as it will be clearly obvious the people that just learnt other people interpretations without actually analysing THE TEXT!
It allowed you to talk about the way it's written (Prose to Verse (Private to Public), The simplifying of language throught, the negativity of the language, and blank verse and the effects such things have like "nothing", the structure in relation to the Sub Plot), and the Symbolism phwoar! (crown on stage? the pieta image at the end, the storm (storm still, what does this mean to a reader??), the fool (what if the fool is played by the actor who plays Cordelia??), the role of Gods vs Nature, Illegitimacy vs Legitimacy). And finally how and why can this be made relevant to you as a responder to a production of Lear, in your context? What do you believe about it, how are those beliefs created and their effect.

Ahh, I can't believe we only had 40 minutes. The question deserves a researched essay, because there is just so much content.

It's good to see that the focus is back on what it should be. The TEXT, and not on what other people think about it. Hopefully this will serve as a wake up call to all those teachers and students who think all you need to know is interpretations, and that you don;t actually need to know the text.

Loved it :D

mack

Banned
HSC
withoutaface said:
FUCK YOU SHAKESPEARE.
FUCK YOU BOARD OF STUDIES.
I HOPE YOU FUCKING DIE IN YOUR SLEEP TONIGHT YOU BASTARDS.

I plan on obtaining home addresses of employees and committing chainsaw massacre. I certainly wasnt expecting "extract". Whoever came up with that idea will soon experience the pain of medieval torture. Bastard!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)