Most expensive P plater car (1 Viewer)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
This thread is so redundant.

I would not buy the most expensive car out there because high price does not always mean good quality.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Badge snobs are the scourge of the car enthusiast world. Exotic/super cars and sports cars are completely different to luxury cars.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
i be cruising in my 335...after i get a mgmt consulting job.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Porsche, Mercedes, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Maserati, Lotus, Audi...need I list any more?
Please do list more.

You have forgotten the pinnacle of the improved old school age of engines.

Boxer4lyf.

In all seriousness, barely any of those are actually p-plate legal, hence making your point more redundant than the thread.

You've just proved his point.
Hahahaha.

Badge snobs are the scourge of the car enthusiast world. Exotic/super cars and sports cars are completely different to luxury cars.
This is so true. Top gear was an awesome show pre-2008 until they started to make more episodes based on the snob enthusiast audience. Then everyone began to bandwagon. I don't know if they have gotten better or worse since because I stopped watching them episodes while I was still young.

When you have been in a luxury car, which with the right maintenance can last you for years and years without problems, you can appreciate how all the parts work together in harmony. Super/exotic cars are susceptible to easy trashing and malfunctioning because they are pretty complex and one small error can have an exponential effect in a more complex system.

Last edited:

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Super/exotic cars are susceptible to easy trashing and malfunctioning because they are pretty complex and one small error can have an exponential effect in a more complex system.
I'm going to go with because a lot of them suffer from niche production, parts are hand fitted and much of them are hand finished and will not have the quality control of a production line product. Quality and performance are not the same thing, and certainly was not the point I was making. The Zenvo in one of the late season episodes of Top Gear has ludicrous performance, 1300 horse power. That's insanely fast and also set itself on fire. It also costs in excess of a million AUD. Money might buy you performance but you can get great quality from a $5000 used Toyota Yaris.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I'm going to go with because a lot of them suffer from niche production, parts are hand fitted and much of them are hand finished and will not have the quality control of a production line product. Quality and performance are not the same thing, and certainly was not the point I was making. The Zenvo in one of the late season episodes of Top Gear has ludicrous performance, 1300 horse power. That's insanely fast and also set itself on fire. It also costs in excess of a million AUD. Money might buy you performance but you can get great quality from a $5000 used Toyota Yaris.
Actually I would say the niche production is even more of a reason to their malfunctioning than the complexity. Also, the fact that they make so little of them means that they do not undergo testing which is everyday type driving under full performance conditions, etc.

I was not making the performance point either. The boxer bit was more aimed as a quality thing not performance. They have had their ups and downs but in my experience (which is very little) and in my father's experience (this is quite a few decades worth), we have not met good quality with reasonable pricing like Subaru's before.

I've been in a Yaris before and they do have quite good quality for price.

In fact, most Toyota's have quite good quality for little price.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
This is so true. Top gear was an awesome show pre-2008 until they started to make more episodes based on the snob enthusiast audience. Then everyone began to bandwagon. I don't know if they have gotten better or worse since because I stopped watching them episodes while I was still young.

When you have been in a luxury car, which with the right maintenance can last you for years and years without problems, you can appreciate how all the parts work together in harmony. Super/exotic cars are susceptible to easy trashing and malfunctioning because they are pretty complex and one small error can have an exponential effect in a more complex system.
Top Gear can be a bit self conflicting at times, obviously written by multiple people and not always the presenters true opinion. Besides that Top Gear have criticised base model "luxury" cars in the past, and rarely review them. Praise given to an SLS will not apply to a fwd A class.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
most expensive from the top of my head could an Audi Q7 V12 twin turbo TDI, being turbo diesel makes it legal

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Top Gear can be a bit self conflicting at times, obviously written by multiple people and not always the presenters true opinion. Besides that Top Gear have criticised base model "luxury" cars in the past, and rarely review them. Praise given to an SLS will not apply to a fwd A class.
Top Gear is an entertainment show, if they started reviewing stuff that everybody could get into I'd stop watching it. I watch the show because I wanna know what the new supercar made out of unobtainium is like to drive, I couldn't care less about a base model 3 series or the new Chrysler Voyager. They do plenty of iconic lower range cars, the VW Golf GTI has been done a few times by the show as had the WRX and the Evo. The show does what most people want to watch and nobody cares about a car that anyone can access for the most part.

most expensive from the top of my head could an Audi Q7 V12 twin turbo TDI, being turbo diesel makes it legal
You can't drive a V12 car on P plates.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I actually did not think of that (where the presenters could have a different view to what they say). But many people take what they say as the absolute best advice you can get, when clearly that's not always the case.

Even though I've bashed on fwd a lot in the past, they do have advantages over other systems in different cases, and in saying that, most cars with fwd have it for a reason which can be applied just as well to luxury cars (definitely not performance though :p).

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Tesla Roadster is more expensive, faster and P plate legal as there are no specific electric car laws. (or weren't a few years ago)

Top Gear is an entertainment show, if they started reviewing stuff that everybody could get into I'd stop watching it. I watch the show because I wanna know what the new supercar made out of unobtainium is like to drive, I couldn't care less about a base model 3 series or the new Chrysler Voyager. They do plenty of iconic lower range cars, the VW Golf GTI has been done a few times by the show as had the WRX and the Evo. The show does what most people want to watch and nobody cares about a car that anyone can access for the most part.
Yeah, I agree. But hot hatches or higher specced versions are different, it's rare to see Top Gear do a review of a base model Golf, Lancer etc.

You can't drive a V12 car on P plates.
Can drive whatever diesel you want.

Last edited:

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Tesla Roadster is more expensive, faster and P plate legal as there are no specific electric car laws. (or weren't a few years ago)
I don't think there are at the moment, you would technically throw the SLS electric supercar in there as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)