Motion and physics (1 Viewer)

Mightymullet

HSC
Hey guys,
I was wondering, for someone who isn't doing physics, would learning mechanics and circular motion be a difficult task? opposed to someone who is doing physics for their HSC.

tashe

HSC
N/A
No, not at all.

Mechanics isn't a hard topic to understand. I will be more worried about Inequalities and Probability (both under harder 3U).

Back to the question, as long as you understand that you can consider a motion in components (i.e. horizontal and vertical (same as physics)) then you're fine.

It's a nicely constructed topic. It starts you off with simple mechanics (like resisted motion which is ONE DIRECTION) and slowly builds you into circular motion, banked track and other stuff. It's easy to grasp.

Last edited:

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Someone doing physics would have little advantage over someone that isn't. HSC physics doesn't even come close to touching on the maths that you will use in mechanics, so while they might have a little advantage with the concepts of mechanics, it will be an even playing field when it comes to the maths.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Just one thing. Doing prelim Physics was a little help for me and I had already learnt the concepts before hand.

However, this doesn't place you at a disadvantage, because it is super easy to learn these concepts and you should have no problems.

Mightymullet

HSC
Ahaha 'super easy', that's a relief. :p
But i think memorising the formulas will be a pain early on.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Ahaha 'super easy', that's a relief. :p
But i think memorising the formulas will be a pain early on.
You barely need to memorise formulas.

You just derive them as you go.

Only some formulas will require memorising (barely though) and if you do consistent work you will already know them off by heart.

tashe

HSC
N/A
BABY YOU LIGHT UP MY WORLD LIKE NOBODY ELSE!! sorry had to :p it was bolded and asking for it!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Wait until next term in physics (I believe you're doing motors and generators next).

You will definitely hear your teacher say "The DC current moves in one direction" at least once.

That would be the time when you sing your post.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Mechanics in extension 2 mathematics is pretty much glorified integration, you don't need to do physics to get a good grasp of it

Mightymullet

HSC
Only some formulas will require memorising (barely though) and if you do consistent work you will already know them off by heart.
Yeah that's why I said at the start haha :)

BABY YOU LIGHT UP MY WORLD LIKE NOBODY ELSE!! sorry had to :p it was bolded and asking for it!
HAHAHA dis guy, seems like a true 1D fan ;)

Mechanics in extension 2 mathematics is pretty much glorified integration, you don't need to do physics to get a good grasp of it
Nah like conical pendulums and those stuff but yeah, cheers bro. :)

tashe

HSC
N/A
Alright. Are those HSC lectures good? Do you go to tutor?

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Yeah that's why I said at the start haha :)

HAHAHA dis guy, seems like a true 1D fan ;)

Nah like conical pendulums and those stuff but yeah, cheers bro. :)
haha even conical pendulums, the concept of it is mostly algebra, and is beyond the scope of hsc physics anyway, you will be deriving formulae that you otherwise just assume in hsc physics, so you will still be perfectly fine without doing physics :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)