Motorcycle Talk Thread (1 Viewer)

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Whats the deal with 250cc grey imports? If it fits the bill of a prohibited bike would it be banned or are they still legal seeing as all 250cc's are learner legal bar the 5 or 6 they've listed?

EDIT: I know with the prohibited vehicles list, even if a car isn't explicitly named on the list (ie 1992 HR32 Skyline GTR), its still banned if it has a turbo or 8 or more cylinders.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Whats the deal with 250cc grey imports? If it fits the bill of a prohibited bike would it be banned or are they still legal seeing as all 250cc's are learner legal bar the 5 or 6 they've listed?

EDIT: I know with the prohibited vehicles list, even if a car isn't explicitly named on the list (ie 1992 HR32 Skyline GTR), its still banned if it has a turbo or 8 or more cylinders.
I don't get the question?
All grey imports have to go through all the hectic compliancing. If it's one of the banned one's on the list, it's not legal. If it's not on the list, you can ride it.

I think what you're getting at is, if you imported a bike, that wasn't on the list, but was 250cc and had a hectic power-to-weight ratio, would it be learner legal?

The answer is yes, probably, unless the RTA took notice and decided to ban it. The RTA's method of determining what bikes to ban wasn't exactly rigorous. They banned the most numerous 250cc 2-stroke sports bikes, but a few bikes with equal power-to-weight ratio's got through.

They don't test these things in general. There would have to be a spate of accidents on some new high-powered 250cc, or someone would have to lobby the RTA to have it added in general.

It's the same with bikes 250cc> * <660cc, with less than 150kw/tonne, the manufacturer, importer or owner has to petition the RTA before it gets added, they don't automatically add things based on power-to-weight data.

For example, there are a few TDR250's in this country, all grey imports. They're a hectic 250cc 2-stroke supermotard, using the full gas version of the banned TZR250 motor. They're definetly learner legal at present, even though they would exceed 150kw/tonne, mono and accelerate in an exciting fashion.

There aren't many exceptions, due to the difficulty of importing bikes.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
ahhhh love you

I came across an ad on bikesales for a yamaha fzr250 and looked up the specs and was pretty shocked to find out its legal.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
FZR, ZXR and CBR 250's have the same HP, 40-45hp depending on who you ask. They're nothing special, there are plenty of better performing learner bikes.

Hell, I owned one of these and it was learner legal
1998 Yamaha SZR 660 specifications and pictures

660cc single in a TZR250 frame. Similar power-to-weight to the 250's, more than twice the torque motherfucker.

I loved that thing

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
I'll be going for my L's at the end of next month, whats a good thing to learn on? Price isn't too much of a worry seeing as I should be able to get my parents to fork out for it.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Depends what you want to use it for.

The standard recommendation for all new riders is to get something unfaired, because if you drop a CBR, a complete set of fairings goes for like $1500 or something ridiculous. Even a standing drop at 0km/h can break fairings and it does happen.

Dirt bikes stand up great to abuse, and are the most fun things to ride around town. That's what I'd get. Something along the lines of XR, KLR, XT etc...

If you want a cheap, reliable, basic roady to get some miles up, before you buy something cool, CB250, GN250, XV250 are all fine. Easiest to learn on, most easy to ride and best value for money.

If you want something a bit sporty, GPX, ZZR, yamaha zeal, suzuki bandit (strongly recommended), balius, hornet 250.

If money was no object, I'd get this NEW SV650SU Learner Approved SV

Feel free to ask us later about anything you're thinking of buying.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
No way my parents are gonna get behind the idea of me sitting on a 650cc bike, and tbh I'd rather start small. I think I'll go a CBR or ZXR til I'm unrestricted.

And yeah I know I'll get bored of it real soon, but I probably won't be riding it all the time so it shouldn't be too bad.

ks21

HSC
i passed the practical (for learners) on the weekend...and was lookin to get a bike for under 4K. I've looked into the following:

Honda CB250s - apparently pretty reliable, low maintanece, easy to ride, etc.
Honda CB400s - learner approved, basically a CB250 but juiced up and more expensive...struggle to find one under 4 K
Honda VTRs? are they similar?

Suzuki GS500 - guy at work has one...reckons its good (learner approved)

what do you guys think of hyosung ( i looked at their website and apparently they are one of the best selling bikes in australia)...GT250/GT250 R

are there any other particularly good bikes out there for learners...

quik.

HSC
Hyosung is pretty sketchy. They're a new manufacturer, and at the start it showed. A lot of people were quite vocal about engines seizing, horrible quality etc. They have probably improved, though I don't have any personal experience. If you are tall, the hyosung 250 has the same frame as their 600, and so you will be in less of a monkey fucking a football position.

Unless you plan on hiring for P's, remember you will have to do the u-turn etc on whatever bike you buy as well.

Tonthat

HSC
RTA said:
On 11 March 2009, Premier Nathan Rees announced the introduction of a new licensing scheme for motorcycle riders to help reduce the number of beginner riders involved in crashes.
Mr Rees said that young and inexperienced riders are significantly over-represented in crashes.
“Motorcyclists aged under 20 are almost five times more likely to crash than other motorbike riders,” Mr Rees said.
“Last year, around 350 beginner riders were involved in crashes across the State.
“That’s why we are introducing this scheme which will be similar to a motor vehicle licence extending the minimum provisional period for motorcycle riders from one to three years.”
Mr Rees said that the changes will be introduced in June and mean that riders will stay on a provisional licence for a minimum of three years with the same P1 and P2 phases as car drivers.
“Provisional rider restrictions will now be in place for a longer period giving riders time to gain confidence and experience on the road.
“The restrictions for P1 drivers are a zero blood alcohol limit, a maximum speed restriction of 90km/h and a loss of licence for incurring four or more demerit points.
“For P2 drivers it also means a zero blood alcohol limit, a maximum 100km/h speed limit and a licence suspension for their second speeding offence.
“This is about saving lives and reducing the number of people injured on our roads by ensuring riders gain more experience.”
Roads Minister Michael Daley said that currently riders must hold a learner licence for a minimum of three months before attending a pre-provisional course.
“They must then be on a P1 provisional licence for a minimum of 12 months before applying for a full licence,” Mr Daley said.
“The minimum three year period on a provisional licence will raise the age for getting an unrestricted rider licence from 18 to 20.
“The provisional P1 phase will be a requirement of all riders, regardless of age but there will be an exemption from the P2 phase for riders over 25 who also hold an unrestricted car driver licence.
“This exemption recognises car driving experience and brings NSW in line with other States.”
L-platers, get your Ps soon.
I got mine today so it won't apply to me.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Nah seriously fuck off. Does he honestly think that another 2 years of p's will make a significant fucking difference to any of those stats? Doesn't matter what class license they hold, inexperienced riders/drivers are more prone to accidents. Bringing in stupid fucking laws like this will achieve NOTHING except further skew the distribution of accidents towards the lower end of the license scale, its so stupid.

Also how the FUCKING FUCK do people get more experience by wearing p plates on their bike? For the life of me I cannot understand the logic of this legislation.

Tonthat

HSC
Nah seriously fuck off. Does he honestly think that another 2 years of p's will make a significant fucking difference to any of those stats? Doesn't matter what class license they hold, inexperienced riders/drivers are more prone to accidents. Bringing in stupid fucking laws like this will achieve NOTHING except further skew the distribution of accidents towards the lower end of the license scale, its so stupid.

Also how the FUCKING FUCK do people get more experience by wearing p plates on their bike? For the life of me I cannot understand the logic of this legislation.
Yeah, I can't see how it will make a difference. Do you know if bike restrictions for P2 will be the same for L and P1?

I would be pissed off riding 250s for 3 years...

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Yeah, I can't see how it will make a difference. Do you know if bike restrictions for P2 will be the same for L and P1?

I would be pissed off riding 250s for 3 years...
you're gonna be heaps pissed then

my bet is yes, seeing as they want to bring the laws in line with car laws

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
The thing is, when they threw in power restrictions for drivers, they made it clear that people that got their licenses beforehand wouldn't be subject to em, they've made no such effort with this.

Tonthat

HSC
The thing is, when they threw in power restrictions for drivers, they made it clear that people that got their licenses beforehand wouldn't be subject to em, they've made no such effort with this.
But a year from now I'll have my unrestricted license. So it won't be a problem. It'll be like people who got their Ls before you had to do 120 hours.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
I guess, won't really know til they say so. Either way I don't care, no way I can dodge it.

Unless I can book in before june and be all "sup rta"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)