MQ Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone happen to know when we can choose classes for session 2?

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
Need to know your opinion guys. I got a letter from the head of the maths department for doing well in 132/133. He has offered to do a waiver so I can do math288 but my degree plan is pretty much full. Also because im doing applied finance/actuarial, the extra unit wouldnt count towards either degree but will still add to hecs + go on my transcript. So I'm just wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I don't know what to do. Edit I have space to do math288 cause I'm doing a unit over summer school currently.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Need to know your opinion guys. I got a letter from the head of the maths department for doing well in 132/133. He has offered to do a waiver so I can do math288 but my degree plan is pretty much full. Also because im doing applied finance/actuarial, the extra unit wouldnt count towards either degree but will still add to hecs + go on my transcript. So I'm just wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I don't know what to do. Edit I have space to do math288 cause I'm doing a unit over summer school currently.
http://handbook.mq.edu.au/2017/Degr...h+the+degree+of+Bachelor+of+Actuarial+Studies

Idk what you mean bro? You have 21 credit points of electives so you are totally fine to do an extra maths unit for "fun", or whatever your reasoning is.

In fact, your core degree only has 17 "200 level+ units" (51 cp) so you need to do 3 electives which are 200 level to complete your degree. Doing math288 would help towards this requirement.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Hi Ben, (I think we discussed this elsewhere but..) Math288 is a great taste of what the post-grad Math world could look like. The unit runs in conjunction with Math388 (the 288 students are supposed to be graded easier!) and the topics depend on the lecturers assigned to the unit. If you still feel inclined to enroll my advice would be to ask the department who the lecturers are for 2018 and then ask them nicely what topics would be studied. I would then strongly advise grabbing a library book on that topic and see how interesting you find it.
In my case, we explored the foundations of Measure Theory and Set Theory and I ended up dropping the unit just before census day (after submitting Assignment 1!). I found the whole experience quite worthwhile, however at the time my bread & butter Math & Physics was suffering a little too much because of Math288.

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the feedback. I can't do the unit though because all my units are already chosen for me to get all my exemptions for actuarial + get the required credit points for the finance and actuarial degree. I considered changing to to actuarial/sci maths but it would take me a year and fk over my exemptions. I regret now not just doing the single actuarial for year 1 (since all units are the same) and then selecting the degree I want for year 2. Oh well, math was getting a bit abstract anyways lol

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
It's going alright for me! Seems like a fairly straightforward unit. I've noticed (as we have a public discussion forum where you can see everyone's answers), others aren't doing as well. Some people don't seem to be able to follow the basic instructions!!!

On another note, I received an email about enrolment into S2 and S3 classes yesterday. It runs from the 23rd of Jan to the 30th depending on your group for enrolment.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
It's going alright for me! Seems like a fairly straightforward unit. I've noticed (as we have a public discussion forum where you can see everyone's answers), others aren't doing as well. Some people don't seem to be able to follow the basic instructions!!!

On another note, I received an email about enrolment into S2 and S3 classes yesterday. It runs from the 23rd of Jan to the 30th depending on your group for enrolment.
Completed credit points

Class registration
Group A More than 69 23 January
Group B 49 - 68 24 January
Group C 34 - 48 25 January
Group D 22 - 33 29 January
Group E 0 - 21 30 January

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
Good 1a is pretty easy and all lectures/tutes done now, final exam next wednesday

mrstripedshades

HSC
Why are people so obsessed with getting P&Planets out of the way? I swear so many first years have asked me which they should do, and even some of my friends which luckily held onto them now for some reason want to throw them away. I feel like doing an easy 1st year unit will pretty much feel like doing 3 units, which would be super helpful in later years.

That being said, my degrees fairly structured, so it may differ for how it applies to others.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
To the others with same/similar degrees, what units have you picked?

So far I've got STAT150, ACCG200, and ACCG250.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
You're not doing any finance units?
How AFIN102 was run gave me horrors tbh, I've hesitated on selecting any for now as I have 2 Law units, 3 Finance, 2 Econ and 1 Accg unit left in terms of 2xx units excluding p&p. I saw someone suggesting the two be done together so I've done this for now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)