MQ Chatter Thread (2 Viewers)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
We've been emailed something about a "A new curriculum in 2020"

Key extracts from the email sent by the VC

"In July this year Macquarie University designed and approved a new curriculum architecture for all students studying at Macquarie in 2020. The new curriculum offers greater clarity around their study path – from start to finish - and will increase both the breadth and depth of study options available.

The intention is that existing students who will still be studying with us in 2020 will transition to the new curriculum. For many of you there will be minimal or no changes to your current studies. For others, a more flexible curriculum architecture could mean there are new options to consider. Either way, it’s important to note that no current Macquarie student will be disadvantaged by the curriculum changes."

There is also a video avaliable on this

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
If it is implemented... Will it be compulsory?
I should mention that I’m a tad suspicious due to the “architecture” comment but could easily not be trimesters.

There isn’t consistency with UTS or UNSW approach towards trimesters so I couldn’t possibly comment on if it were to be implemented how MQ would “swing”

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
yikes, one of the main reasons I didnt move to UNSW. It'll only be my last year though which is bearable i guess
I’d presume we’d be safe until 2021 as it takes a couple of years to figure stuff out and none of us have heard any rumours about it.

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
Good but all my lectures are full must be a glitch

SM2001

HSC
N/A
hi guys im going to mq next year hopefully since i got an early offer there. I'm just wondering how did the tutors or lectures (whoever decides) make the groups for the group assessments? Does he or she let you pick or go like "1,2,3,4,5.." and sort it like that?

Also, do i need to enrol into every single unit in my study planner? Ive only enrolled into the level 100 ones and put them into my timetable but im not sure if im supposed to enrol into everything.

Thank you!

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Firstly welcome to Macquarie University! What degree are you studying/ planned majors?

hi guys im going to mq next year hopefully since i got an early offer there. I'm just wondering how did the tutors or lectures (whoever decides) make the groups for the group assessments? Does he or she let you pick or go like "1,2,3,4,5.." and sort it like that?
For tutorial group assignment it depends on whether they will let you or not. Typically later 200+ or 300+ units you seem to get to pick your groups.

Also, do i need to enrol into every single unit in my study planner? Ive only enrolled into the level 100 ones and put them into my timetable but im not sure if im supposed to enrol into everything.

Thank you!
You don't need to/probably shouldn't enrol in all your units yet for the degree.

I would enrol in Semester 1, and Semester 2 so you can make your timetable for both sessions.

SM2001

HSC
N/A
Firstly welcome to Macquarie University! What degree are you studying/ planned majors?

For tutorial group assignment it depends on whether they will let you or not. Typically later 200+ or 300+ units you seem to get to pick your groups.

You don't need to/probably shouldn't enrol in all your units yet for the degree.

I would enrol in Semester 1, and Semester 2 so you can make your timetable for both sessions.
Thanks! I'm doing a Bachelor of Business Administration/Bachelor of Arts. I was going to major in HR but decided that I want to at least have one degree that I'm doing for sheer enjoyment/a passion so I instead decided to major in creative writing, they didnt let me pick a major for business admin. I just enrolled into semester 1/2, filling my timetable is a drag. Some lectures have U-Live stream on there, does that mean i dont need to go to uni at all for those ones and just watch it later? and wont be marked down for attendance/participation?

Also i have to drive there since it takes like 3 hrs through public transport from here, is MQ parking good? I read you need to pay 1.00 an hour but I want to know if its worth it- is it easy to park/is there generally a lot of space? and easy to get in and out?

Thank you again!

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks! I'm doing a Bachelor of Business Administration/Bachelor of Arts. I was going to major in HR but decided that I want to at least have one degree that I'm doing for sheer enjoyment/a passion so I instead decided to major in creative writing, they didnt let me pick a major for business admin. I just enrolled into semester 1/2, filling my timetable is a drag. Some lectures have U-Live stream on there, does that mean i dont need to go to uni at all for those ones and just watch it later? and wont be marked down for attendance/participation?

Also i have to drive there since it takes like 3 hrs through public transport from here, is MQ parking good? I read you need to pay 1.00 an hour but I want to know if its worth it- is it easy to park/is there generally a lot of space? and easy to get in and out?

Thank you again!
U-live means that you are enrolled in the "live lecture" so are expected to watch it at the same time as the lecture is taking place in real life through an online plateform that streams lectures called echo360. Most lectures don't record for attendance unless explicitly stated.

You pay through an "app" for parking. Parking is a max of $6? a day I think. Last semester parking in campus didn't seem to packed so you should get a spot if you are prepared to pay. Should be fine to get in and out, traffic congestion along epping road etc is an issue so maybe try avoid driving at peak hour if possible.

More difficult to get to the "free" parking spots now I suspect but you should be fine as you are planning to pay.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
We get our results the same days that HSC kidlets receive their subject results, however, ATAR is the next day.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Dear BLIT,
Congratulations on the wonderful achievement of qualifying for your award! This is indeed a
commendable accomplishment.

Got my completion letter so undergraduate is now completed! Still got the graduation ceremony next year left :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)