MQ Chatter Thread (3 Viewers)

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
FML got my contract for my internship.

I start on the 28th (so 2 days after my last exam) and should finish on Feb 17th.

At least I'll get a week between work and semester starting up? :lol:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
One of the multiple choice in one of my exams today had "concerned with the ability of a financial manager to use a calculator" as one of the options.

Was a very entertaining multiple choice!

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
This email is to advise you that there have been some changes in Bachelor of Commerce – Professional Accounting program for the year of 2017. We understand that you have been admitted into the degree prior to 2017 and as such are not following 2017 handbook. However, we are writing to explain to you how this change in curriculum may affect you.

As per the new Bachelor of Commerce – Professional Accounting (2017) degree structure, Corporation Law (BUSL301) will no longer be a required unit as Business and Corporation Law (revised BUSL250) will cover the learning outcomes of BUSL301 (Corporations Law) and will meet the accreditation requirements for CPA Australia.
http://handbook.mq.edu.au/2017/DegreesDiplomas/Degree/Bachelor+of+Commerce+-+Professional+Accounting

However, since you are enrolled in BUSL250 (Business Law) for current session, we have listed possible courses of action you might want to take depending on Session 2 results:
Should you pass BUSL250 (Business Law), you can choose to remain in the handbook you were admitted to: In this case, BUSL301 (Corporations Law) will still be a required unit. BUSL301 (Corporations Law) will be offered in Session 3 of 2016 and all sessions of 2017 and it is your responsibility to enrol in BUSL301 (Corporations Law) in one of these sessions.
Should you fail BUSL250 (Business Law): In this case, we recommend you to transfer to 2017 handbook since the new program structure requires to do only revised BUSL250 (Business and Corporations Law) and not BUSL301 (Corporations Law). Also, this means you will have an elective at 200/300 level instead of BUSL301 (Corporations Law).
Should you re-attempt BUSL250 (Business Law) in S3, you will still need to take BUSL301 (Corporations Law) in 2017
You can apply for course transfer via the link given below at the end of Session 2 around the time when results are released (Note: you cannot apply for course transfer if you are enrolled in Session 3 units):
http://studentadmin.mq.edu.au/undergrad/currentstudents/coursetransfer.html

Please note that this is general advice for all students who are enrolled in Bachelor of Commerce – Professional Accounting program and not specific advice for your study plan.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
What the hell? That's really confusing.

More than anything, who the hell cares about CPA eligibility? It's the CA eligibility that's a bigger issue anyway.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
What the hell? That's really confusing.

More than anything, who the hell cares about CPA eligibility? It's the CA eligibility that's a bigger issue anyway.
Not to mention the fact that people in my year had to do STAT170 which you now have to STAT150 so we can't just "switch programs"

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Not to mention the fact that people in my year had to do STAT170 which you now have to STAT150 so we can't just "switch programs"
IIRC if you change course structures you'll get recognition for prior learning in that situation, because they're NCCW each other.

When I transferred to my current degree, i needed stat150 but had completed stat170, but they consider them equivalent. Mind you my degree structure is completed whacked up on e-student still, so I could be completely wrong. When I spoke to a course adviser at BESS recently though, it was fine.

Anyway, as your trusted guide to all things degree transfer, I'm going to recommend you DON'T transfer to the current year/2017 handbook. It makes it way more difficult if something goes wrong, and it makes it easier for you in the short term when it comes to having a CA recognised degree. They base it off the year you commenced that structure, and because we now have no guarantee it's going to be accepted, you'd be a fool to risk it so soon to when your supposed to complete your degree.

I hope that makes sense. I'm frying my brain studying for my exam tomorrow :lol:

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
IIRC if you change course structures you'll get recognition for prior learning in that situation, because they're NCCW each other.

When I transferred to my current degree, i needed stat150 but had completed stat170, but they consider them equivalent. Mind you my degree structure is completed whacked up on e-student still, so I could be completely wrong. When I spoke to a course adviser at BESS recently though, it was fine.

Anyway, as your trusted guide to all things degree transfer, I'm going to recommend you DON'T transfer to the current year/2017 handbook. It makes it way more difficult if something goes wrong, and it makes it easier for you in the short term when it comes to having a CA recognised degree. They base it off the year you commenced that structure, and because we now have no guarantee it's going to be accepted, you'd be a fool to risk it so soon to when your supposed to complete your degree.

I hope that makes sense. I'm frying my brain studying for my exam tomorrow :lol:
Yeah I'm hoping I pass BUSL250, so I can just continue following the handbook I signed up to.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
If you guys know any grads or undergrads (willing to do afternoon/night classes) wanting to enter accounting (insolvency) on a full time basis, let me know.

We are looking to hire two people at the junior/intermediate level for one of our teams.

We're looking for two people who are serious in developing a career in insolvency, and want to progress over time into a more senior role.

Thanks peeps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
If you guys know any grads or undergrads (willing to do afternoon/night classes) wanting to enter accounting (insolvency) on a full time basis, let me know.

We are looking to hire two people at the junior/intermediate level for one of our teams.

We're looking for two people who are serious in developing a career in insolvency, and want to progress over time into a more senior role.

Thanks peeps!

If we could time travel back to 2011/2012, little young me would have been all over this.

But alas, I'm getting a free trip to Brisbane and am joining a Rocket League league at my internship, so yeah... Nah.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
If we could time travel back to 2011/2012, little young me would have been all over this.

But alas, I'm getting a free trip to Brisbane and am joining a Rocket League league at my internship, so yeah... Nah.
lols I was in year 10 then [emoji23] would not have been any help hahah

That's cool, whatever floats your boat - everyone's career is different. I'm just trying to rustle up some interest [emoji846]

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Aaaaaah, so torts assignment marks came out and I'm pleased that I've gotten a distinction for the unit... 81 isn't bad considering I thought I was failing the entire time [emoji23]

My tutor was great at the fear mongering...

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Aaaaaah, so torts assignment marks came out and I'm pleased that I've gotten a distinction for the unit... 81 isn't bad considering I thought I was failing the entire time [emoji23]

My tutor was great at the fear mongering...

Congratulations!

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
lols I was in year 10 then [emoji23] would not have been any help hahah

That's cool, whatever floats your boat - everyone's career is different. I'm just trying to rustle up some interest [emoji846]

Has your company posted on any of the university careers sites? They're a pretty good place for recruiting students. A lot of people also start looking for grad jobs now because exams are just finishing too :)

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Well the ISYS301 exam was exactly what I expected. Still an awful unit though so I'll be really happy if I get 40+ marks and never have to look at it again :lol:

Now to finish getting ready for Accg355 tomorrow. The only exam I haven't been worried about!

crazy_paki123

HSC
I think i may have failed my first unit in uni... in my last semester too fml. Stupid exam ridiculously hard. Hopefully scaling (i believe is a myth) comes into play since everyone reckons they failed. Unit was Afin329 btw

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
I think i may have failed my first unit in uni... in my last semester too fml. Stupid exam ridiculously hard. Hopefully scaling (i believe is a myth) comes into play since everyone reckons they failed. Unit was Afin329 btw
Ouch, sorry to hear! I hope it goes well for you.

HSC
N/A
if its your final unit, I believe you can get 40? and you can take a supplementary, but it has to be a final unit in the degree

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
if its your final unit, I believe you can get 40? and you can take a supplementary, but it has to be a final unit in the degree
Not sure where your hearing that. While I hope it's true, I sincerely doubt it.

MQ did introduce a supplementary exam policy this semester where by if you made a genuine attempt and were within a certain grade you may be able to reattempt the final exam. That being said, it was only mentioned in 2 of my 3 units and the marks required were different for both.

crazy_paki123

HSC
Interesting. I dont think i failed miserably. Either just failed or just passed betwen 45 and 55 i reckon. And yes it woukd be my only unit left but ill double check

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)