MQ Chatter Thread (3 Viewers)

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Can someone elaborate what's the difference between getting a CPA accreditation whilst at Comm Prof Accg / App Finance, and just doing it after?

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Well on the bright side CPA is allegedly meant to be easier
Ive been told if you want a challenge, to do the CA.

CPA apparently is easier - ive been told the exams are multiple choice. Also, they tend to be more corporate, whereas CA is more revered in the accounting space.

I say, each to their own. I have pledged allegiance to the CPA albeit being employed by a CA firm. Haha.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
https://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/become-a-cpa It says here under "Your experience" that you need 36 months of experience to become a CPA so I believe you can't do your CPA whilst at uni.
http://courses.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/degree/bachelor-of-commerce---professional-accounting

What's this meant to mean then?

The professional accounting sequence meets the tertiary education requirements of CPA Australia, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ), the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA).
I'm guessing it means that you don't need the 36 months.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I only just noticed that my degree doesnt cover business law or audit, so CPA life it is thankfully did bus law already as a part of my law degree and will have to pick up tax as a law elective.
Did I not mention this when I changed? I'm like 95% certain I did :lol:

Some days I feel like your some sort of parallel universe version of me.

Can someone elaborate what's the difference between getting a CPA accreditation whilst at Comm Prof Accg / App Finance, and just doing it after?
You don't actually receive an accreditation, you simply have met the knowledge requirements to commence your CPA upon graduation.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
I started on a massive ramble about CA vs. CPA but I really don't want to get into it. It's far to difficult and confusing to explain in writing, especially considering how much of it is personal opinion.

Just to note, if you still want to study CA but haven't met the requirements, they've recently started offering a "foundations program" which would allow you to complete the areas of knowledge you're missing before starting the CA program. Think of it as taking a few extra classes and it should pass by quickly enough!

Anyway if your double degree is anything like mine, you'll probably have a tonne of electives you'll have completely forgotten about. Enrol in the subjects you need and you'll have met all the knowledge areas!

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Did I not mention this when I changed? I'm like 95% certain I did [emoji38]

Some days I feel like your some sort of parallel universe version of me.

You don't actually receive an accreditation, you simply have met the knowledge requirements to commence your CPA upon graduation.
lols sorry i dont remember

And you can technically enrol in the CPA before you finish... and if youre working can get it recognised as 3 years exp.

I thknk youve got max 6 years tl finish it

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I started on a massive ramble about CA vs. CPA but I really don't want to get into it. It's far to difficult and confusing to explain in writing, especially considering how much of it is personal opinion.

Just to note, if you still want to study CA but haven't met the requirements, they've recently started offering a "foundations program" which would allow you to complete the areas of knowledge you're missing before starting the CA program. Think of it as taking a few extra classes and it should pass by quickly enough!

Anyway if your double degree is anything like mine, you'll probably have a tonne of electives you'll have completely forgotten about. Enrol in the subjects you need and you'll have met all the knowledge areas!
Nah i think ive mapped mine out - i looked at the number of units i need to complete to get the award and have somewhat followed their course structure guide. This includes all the core stuff, major, electives (so many of them to do and theyre not even good subjects) and the people/planet units (i think theres something about a PACE unit - whatever that means).

If all goes to shit with UTS im going to see an academic advisor just to make sure.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Important!

For students who:

-commenced at Macquarie University from 1 January 2017;

-course transferred into a program of study which commences after 1 January 2017; or

-returned to your studies following a period of absence after 1 January 2017

Your GPA will be calculated on a 7 point scale.

Continuing students unaffected by one of the above remain on the 4.0 scale!!

http://www.students.mq.edu.au/student_admin/manage_your_study_program/gpa_information/

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
I honestly am going to have the worst timetable this semester. Looks like 3/4 classes are evenings only (like 6-10pm lectures and tutes, no other options). :(

I still can't decide on my mystery 4th class either. Looking at taking a 100 level subject so it's easier, but I can't decide what!

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I honestly am going to have the worst timetable this semester. Looks like 3/4 classes are evenings only (like 6-10pm lectures and tutes, no other options). :(

I still can't decide on my mystery 4th class either. Looking at taking a 100 level subject so it's easier, but I can't decide what!

:( Well at least they don't go night time then early morning

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Important!

For students who:

-commenced at Macquarie University from 1 January 2017;

-course transferred into a program of study which commences after 1 January 2017; or

-returned to your studies following a period of absence after 1 January 2017

Your GPA will be calculated on a 7 point scale.

Continuing students unaffected by one of the above remain on the 4.0 scale!!

http://www.students.mq.edu.au/student_admin/manage_your_study_program/gpa_information/
Distinctions no longer can give you a perfect GPA :((((, my goal was to graduate with a 4.0 or very close to it.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Distinctions no longer can give you a perfect GPA :((((, my goal was to graduate with a 4.0 or very close to it.
On the plus side, you can join the #PsGetDegrees crowd now and still achieve your goal!

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
So I've enrolled into my units for this semester. Went with the 100 level isys unit (isys104) to compliment my 300 level ones :lol:

It'll mean I'll have done all isys units except one, even isys100 and isys200! :p

Might change depending on how full classes are or how terrible my timetable ends up!

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Also out of curiosity, what is everyone's date/time for timetables?

I'm rather curious because ours should all be slightly different :)

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
24th from 8am for me

I might have a shot at getting decent classes pending how early I get into work just to use a computer :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)