MQ Chatter Thread (2 Viewers)

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, my opal is officially being deactivated on the 31st of March. :cry::

I'll miss you concession! I guess 3/6 years at uni wasn't too bad overall.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, my opal is officially being deactivated on the 31st of March. :cry::

I'll miss you concession! I guess 3/6 years at uni wasn't too bad overall.

I'd like to meet you and IR sometime if you guys have ended up organising drinks after work or something?

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
.. got only the 1st question wrong in finance 1a quiz because I wrote it as a decimal.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd like to meet you and IR sometime if you guys have ended up organising drinks after work or something?
Ahh i completely forgot to organise those meets properly. I'm really sorry everyone! Between everything happening at work and being sick twice in a month, It just slipped my mind!

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Oh yes!

Could it be sometime, not this week but maybe next.

If after work im available on Thursdays - every other day I have uni after work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrstripedshades

HSC
.. got only the 1st question wrong in finance 1a quiz because I wrote it as a decimal.
i got this theory one wrong about neg. interest rates, was confused between that and the right one. Tho honestly I didnt find anything about negative interest rates in the lecture and the relevant textbook chapter, but myb I didnt look hard enough in the textbook.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Assignment submitted, today's lecture cancelled...

SWEET, SWEET TEMPORARY FREEDOM!

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Also a friendly reminder:

This coming Sunday, March 26, 2017 is the last day to drop a unit without academic or financial penalty.

After Sunday, you can still drop a unit, but you will incur financial penalty. The date for academic penalty (Withdrawn Fail) is not in the immediate future.

If your struggling with anything like uni life in general, your degree or subject choices, check this link: http://my.mq.edu.au/news/2016/03/15/not-sure-if-uni-is-for-you/

Campus Wellbeing is also a fantastic, free service there to help if your every struggling with any academic or no academic issues.

Trust me on this one, don't leave it until the last minute to get help. Your lecturers, tutors, unit coordinators, fellow students, Campus Wellbeing, Student Support services, even us here, all can help you! You just have to ask! :)

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
i got this theory one wrong about neg. interest rates, was confused between that and the right one. Tho honestly I didnt find anything about negative interest rates in the lecture and the relevant textbook chapter, but myb I didnt look hard enough in the textbook.
It's not really from the slides, but rather an understanding question of how negative values work. I got stuck on that one for a bit but if you think about the equation it'll be clear.

Explanation below
The Fisher equation is i = R + P, where i = nominal interest rate.

Rearrange to subject P (inflation rate).
P = i - r,
For it to be negative, i must be less than r or moreso, r has to be more than i.
For it to be positive, i has to be more than r, or r has to be less than i (more negative).

Assume all above values are positive.
For the question, you can think that r and i are both negative, and use different laws to get your answer.

Does anyone have any idea about the severity of attending another tutorial that you're unregistered in (already asked, waiting for reply)? This is just in case I get another disaster where I can't find parking. I might just do public transport next year. This is especially for ECON111 where tutorial homework/participation is assessed.

Last edited:

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone have any idea about the severity of attending another tutorial that you're unregistered in (already asked, waiting for reply)? This is just in case I get another disaster where I can't find parking. I might just do public transport next year. This is especially for ECON111 where tutorial homework/participation is assessed.
Some tutors will not mark (flat out refuse actually) your attendance or homework if your not in that tute. If this is an assessment requirement (ie. Must attend 80% of tutorials or must make a legitimate attempt at 9/10 homework), then you will have an issue.

Additionally, if the other class is full to capacity, they can ask you to leave because of OH&S requirements.

I've seen people attend other tutorials, but generally this is with written permission from their regular tutor/lecturer/unit coordinator and is only for a single occasion where they couldn't attend their regular tutorial but could't get disruption to studies.

TheMoney

HSC
Also a friendly reminder:

This coming Sunday, March 26, 2017 is the last day to drop a unit without academic or financial penalty.

After Sunday, you can still drop a unit, but you will incur financial penalty. The date for academic penalty (Withdrawn Fail) is not in the immediate future.

If your struggling with anything like uni life in general, your degree or subject choices, check this link: http://my.mq.edu.au/news/2016/03/15/not-sure-if-uni-is-for-you/

Campus Wellbeing is also a fantastic, free service there to help if your every struggling with any academic or no academic issues.

Trust me on this one, don't leave it until the last minute to get help. Your lecturers, tutors, unit coordinators, fellow students, Campus Wellbeing, Student Support services, even us here, all can help you! You just have to ask! :)
Is it at all possible to unenrol from a unit and enrol into a new unit now? I just screwed up really bad

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Is it at all possible to unenrol from a unit and enrol into a new unit now? I just screwed up really bad

I believe you can't add units after week 2 normally. I'd ask on ask.mq to see what the actual date is. We are only approaching week 4, surely you haven't had enough assessments or time to screw up yet?

Another FYI, dropping from 4 to 3 units still means your a full time student.

TheMoney

HSC
I believe you can't add units after week 2 normally. I'd ask on ask.mq to see what the actual date is. We are only approaching week 4, surely you haven't had enough assessments or time to screw up yet?

Another FYI, dropping from 4 to 3 units still means your a full time student.
Nah didn't screw up academically. I just wanted to change a unit so I withdrew from it only to find out that it's too late to enrol in any new units and so I only have 3 units this session now. Guess I have to apply for credit over load next session.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Not gonna lie but I've had a much better first seminar experience at UTS than I did at MQ...

Maybe it's because it's a later unit and everyone there are people who've survived law school up to fourth year, I don't know.

Maybe it's too early to say which I like better...

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Not gonna lie but I've had a much better first seminar experience at UTS than I did at MQ...

Maybe it's because it's a later unit and everyone there are people who've survived law school up to fourth year, I don't know.

Maybe it's too early to say which I like better...

Stop that.

I've personally found higher level subjects to be better. People seem to actually start caring about the content and doing well :lol:

Nah didn't screw up academically. I just wanted to change a unit so I withdrew from it only to find out that it's too late to enrol in any new units and so I only have 3 units this session now. Guess I have to apply for credit over load next session.

Can you take the unit over summer instead of overloading? Overloading may be difficult to get permission for after only a semester, especially with 3 units completed.

TheMoney

HSC
Stop that.

I've personally found higher level subjects to be better. People seem to actually start caring about the content and doing well :lol:

Can you take the unit over summer instead of overloading? Overloading may be difficult to get permission for after only a semester, especially with 3 units completed.
Yea but I want to transfer to comm/law next year and 24cp is a requirement and if I do it over summer school the earliest I can transfer is next yr session 2. In a bit of a tough situation right now hahaha. But how hard would it be to receive permission for overloading with only 3 units done though?

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Yea but I want to transfer to comm/law next year and 24cp is a requirement and if I do it over summer school the earliest I can transfer is next yr session 2. In a bit of a tough situation right now hahaha. But how hard would it be to receive permission for overloading with only 3 units done though?

Well permission for overloading is at your faculty's discretion.

If I remember correctly, you'll need at least a 3.0 GPA (on the new scale that's probably a 6.0 or distinction average) and a minimum of 1 semester full time study.

Obviously, 6.0 after only one semester with 3 units isn't impossible, but though 3 units is technically full time, they may be hesitant about you taking on two more units on top of what you've shown to be capable of handling.

Delaying your transfer by one semester isn't the end of the world. You can easily take summer classes and overload later in your degree when you've adjusted to University life some more.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Talking about lecture being cancelled, E7B's fire alarm went of again today.
It can never match the exam I had were the fire alarm went off and it had to be abandoned. Coming home to ilearn imploding with students rage and the staff having no idea what was happening was wonderful

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)