MQ Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

Orwell

HSC
Is the GLEP offer conditional? I've enrolled and it says 'admitted' but I've yet to select my units because I'm still trying to figure out the best set-up. I don't want to wait too long and have the offer revoked though.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Is the GLEP offer conditional? I've enrolled and it says 'admitted' but I've yet to select my units because I'm still trying to figure out the best set-up. I don't want to wait too long and have the offer revoked though.
Pretty sure it isn't. Try checking your email/application?

Orwell

HSC
I checked today and I've still got access to e-student. I should probably just fill out my units once and for all lol.

Orwell

HSC
On second thought, I just saw the email informing me of the Info Day this Saturday and how I can get help with enrolment and what not. Will probably choose units after I get some advice.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
If anyone is looking for a 300+ commerce level, and is good at writing essays then I'd recommend BBA350.

Snowflek

HSC
Hey guys, when is the last day to accept a offer from MQ? Thank you.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, when is the last day to accept a offer from MQ? Thank you.
Probably would depend on what "scheme" that you are under. You'll have till late January at the earliest time that you'll be expected to suspect.

If in doubt, you can always call the MQ or drop into muse to get enrollment support.
Phone +61 2 9850 6410 Hours Monday - Friday: 8:30 - 5:30
or through submitting a ticket https://www.mq.edu.au/study/high-school-students/contact-us/online-enquiry which they typically respond to fairly fast.

Orwell

HSC
I tried my best to not expend both my People and Planet unit in the first session but it didn't work out - everytime I tried to select another unit, there was always some prerequisite I hadn't met so I had to use the people and planet units to fill up the first session.

Now that I'm up to selecting classes, can someone explain the difference between a tutorial and a lecture?

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I tried my best to not expend both my People and Planet unit in the first session but it didn't work out - everytime I tried to select another unit, there was always some prerequisite I hadn't met so I had to use the people and planet units to fill up the first session.

Now that I'm up to selecting classes, can someone explain the difference between a tutorial and a lecture?
What degree are you doing? There aren't a lot of degrees that force you into electives semester 1, so maybe we can put you into the right track!

A lecture is held in a theatre. Generally, there are a few hundred people. The lecturer generally presents slides which usually the content for that week. You make notes and listen. Some times they'll ask students to participate, other times they may not.

A tutorial is a small class of no more than 30 people. Your taught by a tutor (who may or may not also be your lecturer), and you'll either be given questions to do, have to go through homework or readings nyou did beforehand, or maybe even have a discussion.

You may also come across practical classes later in your degree. These usually revolve around use of a computer lab or science facilities, and as the name implies, do practical things.

Orwell

HSC
I'm doing law/arts majoring in politics. I think it's too late to change units anyway, because I hit enrol but anytime I tried to substitute one of the suggested people/planet units in the first session with another one of the blue highlighted law units, it didn't allow me to enrol because I hadn't met the prerequisites.

So when selecting a class for a particular elective, it doesn't make too much a difference, content wise, whether I opt for either a lecture or a tutorial? Or do I need to select one of either/would it be more optimal for me to do so?

HSC
N/A
I'm doing law/arts majoring in politics. I think it's too late to change units anyway, because I hit enrol but anytime I tried to substitute one of the suggested people/planet units in the first session with another one of the blue highlighted law units, it didn't allow me to enrol because I hadn't met the prerequisites.

So when selecting a class for a particular elective, it doesn't make too much a difference, content wise, whether I opt for either a lecture or a tutorial? Or do I need to select one of either/would it be more optimal for me to do so?
You can change your enrollment in units. If you have a pre-req requirement that are just a misunderstanding or some sort of obstacle you think you will overcome then you are best served submitting an askMQ request form. Depending on the unit you're dealing with, you should find that you need to click on all lectures and (usually) choose one tutorial - *caveat ; if you've done everything right your timetable will show a Green light for that unit...
If none of this makes sense to you, Dont Worry!!! It WILL work out, you can submit questions anytime or make phone calls or visit the campus where staff will help you; don't panic :)

Last edited:

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
U Live streaming means that you aren't registered for the lecture class, you are registered for listening to them online.

Even if you register for a lecture class, you still (should) have access for the lectures online and most, are non-compulsory unlike tutorials.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad

You can change units right up until the Census date, which is a few weeks into semester.

If you haven't already seen, this is your handbook for your degree. http://handbook.mq.edu.au/2018/Degr...r+of+Arts+with+the+degree+of+Bachelor+of+Laws

The handbook tells you all the units you are required to take or choose from, and also sets out other requirements (such as you must complete a major in full, you must have a certain number of credit points at a 200 level or above etc.)

Now i'm guessing you are trying to enrol in either Laws108 or Laws104. These both have Laws115 as a prerequisite. So in your first semester, you should enrol into Laws115 in order to do these two later. Seeing if something has a prereq is really easy on the handbook page. Either hover over the unit name, or you can click into it.

Prerequisites: must be completed before you can enrol into a unit
Corequisites: mean you can take the unit and its matching one at the same time
NCCW(s): Mean you can not take the unit you are looking at and the one that is listed there. Essentially they are either old versions of a unit, or the content is too similar.

Anyway as I said, you can continue changing units right up until. In eStudent go to "My Enrolment" and select "Withdraw from Units" on the left hand side. Then you can go back to "Enrol in Units" and choose what you want.

Finally, you need to attend both lecturers AND tutorials/practicals. Usually you will be forced to select at least one of each. Some units will have multiple different lectures and tutorials a week, in which case you will be prompted to select more. If you hover over a specific lecture or tutorial, it will highlight any that are the same. There is also a little counter at the top that will say 3/4 classes enrolled or something similar.

Some classes will have attendance requirements (These are set out in the unit guides, but those haven't been released yet). You may not have to attend lectures, but you may need to attend at least 8/11 tutorials for instance.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
U Live streaming means that you aren't registered for the lecture class, you are registered for listening to them online.

Even if you register for a lecture class, you still (should) have access for the lectures online and most, are non-compulsory unlike tutorials.
Just to add to this:

Live streaming is as its described: Live.

Regular recorded lectures are not available until after a lecture finishes. They also may not record, so don't rely on them unless you have to. (TBH in a semester I'd expect about 3/4 lectures to have issues where they dont record in full or at all. Some lecturers aren't the best with technology, and some lecture theatres just suck!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)