MQ Chatter Thread (3 Viewers)

HSC
N/A

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Ah I thought I enrolled without issue last night. 315 is indeed a prereq for 399.

Currently enrolled for ACST201, ACCG301, AFIN270, ACCG308 in S1 '19.

Heard ACCG308 will be hard. Doing AFIN270 since it is a prereq for most of the finance 300 units.

If you liked/did well in mktg101 then the advisory part of the course should be relatively easy. Don't bother watching the online videos for the advisory parts, waste of time. Do put a significant amount of effort into the advisory part homework as it forms part of the business report which is your first major assessment.

ACCG301 is okay but is made tougher then ACCG200 due to very strict time limits for doing in class quizzes.

HSC
N/A
So in a blaze of no publicity, MQ seem to have dropped the People / Planet requirement for anyone starting a degree this year?
I heard from a staff member that this was the case a few weeks back but couldn't find any info. A look at this years handbooks and the requirement seems to be gone. Seems a bit sad really, being forced to do a people unit made me take a philosophy unit I never would have chose on my own volition and I really enjoyed it. I wonder what the thought process is in removing them?
Possibly the confusion that results from the 'must not be the same faulty' / 'must not be part of your major' stuff, I'm guessing.

pistachioman

HSC
N/A
So in a blaze of no publicity, MQ seem to have dropped the People / Planet requirement for anyone starting a degree this year?
I heard from a staff member that this was the case a few weeks back but couldn't find any info. A look at this years handbooks and the requirement seems to be gone. Seems a bit sad really, being forced to do a people unit made me take a philosophy unit I never would have chose on my own volition and I really enjoyed it. I wonder what the thought process is in removing them?
Possibly the confusion that results from the 'must not be the same faulty' / 'must not be part of your major' stuff, I'm guessing.
But ive heard thats its good doing them as your electives because they are normally easier than other units so they can bring up your GPA. Can someone confirm this?

mrstripedshades

HSC
But ive heard thats its good doing them as your electives because they are normally easier than other units so they can bring up your GPA. Can someone confirm this?
If you have electives you can literally choose any unit I think (i only have one elective for my degree but), and yes most people either use GPA boosters or get a minor if they have a lot of electives. People & Planet were in a way electives, but they forced you to choose out of a certain list for both units. Im guessing they replaced them with regular elective units in this case but not sure as I havent heard anything about it

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I only came across one of my favourate units as it was a people unit which did not have a very clear name so investigated it and realised I was interested in it.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
If you have electives you can literally choose any unit I think (i only have one elective for my degree but), and yes most people either use GPA boosters or get a minor if they have a lot of electives. People & Planet were in a way electives, but they forced you to choose out of a certain list for both units. Im guessing they replaced them with regular elective units in this case but not sure as I havent heard anything about it
Looks to be replaced with normal electives. Could've got my eco minor in if they did it earlier.

Anthel

HSC
N/A
Yeah I definitely agree, the requirement made me take a international relations unit which I also really enjoyed. The people/planet requirements really does fulfill its purpose of providing student with actually useful knowledge about people and our world lol.

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
My experience of people planet was a let down. There were lots of errors and the content was oversimplified. Albeit, I shouldve taken stat175 in 1st year not 2nd

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
When does ilearn display units again? The weekend before uni starts?
It depends some come up on Monday of the first week or some may already be out. There is a way to check the due date for when iLearn should be available but can't remember the whereabouts you can check at the moment.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
My experience of people planet was a let down. There were lots of errors and the content was oversimplified. Albeit, I shouldve taken stat175 in 1st year not 2nd
Or both over complication of relativelly straight forward concepts I found with my planet unit. My people unit was a enjoyable experience.

pistachioman

HSC
N/A
is there going to be tutorials in the first week? some people have said that they start in second week?! im confused af. This is my first year btw.

HSC
N/A
is there going to be tutorials in the first week? some people have said that they start in second week?! im confused af. This is my first year btw.
Check your unit guide (if it's out yet).. https://unitguides.mq.edu.au/units
Or wait for your iLearn to become active, this can be as late as the Monday of week1 (but only if you're doing physics!), most will come active the week or weekend before uni starts - don't panic, you'll be fine, all will be made clear.

HSC
I'm in the diploma and my class is monday to friday from 11 til 3. Are o week events still open by that time? i wanna check out the clubs and stuff

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Depends check unit guides, ilearn, and estudent (timetable) to find out. Which subjects are you doing? I might be able to look into them if you are struggling to find information relating to whether they are on or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)