MQ Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
you applying for big 4?
Made a lot of progress with kpmg because of foundations program. Haven't been rejected from the others. I'm applying for about 8 firms but there's only a couple I'm interested in.

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Got this weird thing by the English department...

Macquarie University will be introducing a new curriculum structure in 2020. All current students will be transitioned seamlessly into this new structure.

Due to this process of curriculum renewal, the Department of English will be offering a new curriculum in 2020. Much of the content will be based on existing units, but there will be some changes.

If there is any ENGL unit that students would particularly like to study in its current form, students are advised to enrol in those units this year.

Can MQ stop being cryptic and tell us what these changes are? Preferably before census date?

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Any accounting grads interested in a role in insolvency on this thread, or know any who may be interested?

The team hiring is a super busy team. You will get exposure to voluntary administration's / trading on businesses / SME liquidations (CVL/court liquidations).

You need to be a strong communicator, have an interest in law, strong numeracy skills and an analytical/inquisitive mind.

You will be given responsibilities on smaller matters from day 1 and an opportunity to progress within the team.

Let me know if you're interested.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Got this weird thing by the English department...

Macquarie University will be introducing a new curriculum structure in 2020. All current students will be transitioned seamlessly into this new structure.

Due to this process of curriculum renewal, the Department of English will be offering a new curriculum in 2020. Much of the content will be based on existing units, but there will be some changes.

If there is any ENGL unit that students would particularly like to study in its current form, students are advised to enrol in those units this year.

Can MQ stop being cryptic and tell us what these changes are? Preferably before census date?
Probably cutting/condensing certain courses to lessen costs associated with running units. Budgets are getting cut around the University.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Probably cutting/condensing certain courses to lessen costs associated with running units. Budgets are getting cut around the University.
Ouch. Glad I'm overloading and hopefully graduating at the end of this year. As much as I love Macquarie University (kind students, nice campus, passionate staff, good atmosphere)- I don't see myself doing postgraduate here. There's some really bright people in the English department, and it will sadden me if any of their work is in jeopardy. I'm currently considering doing a MRes or a Ph.D. in Literature and I've noticed less scholarships and grants being available.

Maybe I'm overlooking things... but I don't think Macquarie is doing well on the research front at least in the Humanities & Social Sciences. Not a fan of the direction Macquarie is going into, as I'm sure my post indicated.

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Also, virtual internships are also possible to do alongside university if anyone is interested. Not sure how useful they are from an employment point of view.

King & Wood Mallesons Commercial Law Program https://www.insidesherpa.com/virtual-experience-program/Dqj7t7hotvomefD7Z/KWM

KPMG has a data analaytics programme to https://www.insidesherpa.com/virtua...h9Nb2c/KPMG-Data-Analytics-Virtual-Internship
Did a virtual internship last year with an NGO. Granted, it was content writing but I managed to put the skills I learned on my resume and created a portfolio. Will apply to more content writing positions that are paid at the end of the year. No clue what its like for business or law- two professions that can be prone to an 'old school' mentality.

Doing an internship in an office where you get to meet people directly, communicate ideas and get helpful feedback will always be better than an online alternative- even if we are moving into a 'virtual' workforce era.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Macquarie is really pushing degrees such as the Master of Research so maybe they are trying to improve reputation\ranking through that.

Does anyone else’s journey to Macquarie increase by at least 30-40ish minutes when travelling during peak times?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Any accounting grads interested in a role in insolvency on this thread, or know any who may be interested?

The team hiring is a super busy team. You will get exposure to voluntary administration's / trading on businesses / SME liquidations (CVL/court liquidations).

You need to be a strong communicator, have an interest in law, strong numeracy skills and an analytical/inquisitive mind.

You will be given responsibilities on smaller matters from day 1 and an opportunity to progress within the team.

Let me know if you're interested.

Any GPA/ WAM requirements? Market pay? Or higher?

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Any GPA/ WAM requirements? Market pay? Or higher?
- WAM/GPA ideally credit average above, however is not a deal breaker if the communication skills are there

- Market (progression/pay will come fairly quickly thereafter, the team is high performing)

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Macquarie is really pushing degrees such as the Master of Research so maybe they are trying to improve reputation\ranking through that.
The Mres (Arts) isn't approved by the AQF- but apparently the second year is part of the Research Training Program.

Urgh. I love you Macquarie Uni but sometimes you get me down.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
The Mres (Arts) isn't approved by the AQF- but apparently the second year is part of the Research Training Program.

Urgh. I love you Macquarie Uni but sometimes you get me down.
If you can get a certain GPA then you can get your first year paid for if I remember correctly.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Also does anyone know if places on the merit list have been announced yet?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)