MQ General chatter thread (1 Viewer)

dolbinau

HSC
Re: MQ General chatter and timetables thread (+ Conception Day!)

Random question, but does anyone know what's happening to the old library once the new one is built?

Poad

HSC

Back when they had that MUSRA voting stuff, one of the people from Action told me that the uni is thinking of selling the library, or getting rid of it or something, so basically we'll still just have the one (newer) library.

Although I have no idea if that person had any idea about what they were talking about, or even if my recount of what they said is entirely correct. >_>

X

xeuyrawp

Back when they had that MUSRA voting stuff, one of the people from Action told me that the uni is thinking of selling the library, or getting rid of it or something, so basically we'll still just have the one (newer) library.

Although I have no idea if that person had any idea about what they were talking about, or even if my recount of what they said is entirely correct. >_>
They can't get rid of it; that whole part of the uni is heritage listed.

Tabris

HSC

Yes it was me. The photocopiers used to be so awesome there; much better than USyd's ones. But they haven't maintained them properly, so like half were out of order. :-(
In the past 9 semesters, I have never used the library's photocopier and print facilities ever. Surprisingly, I have enver found the need to use those facilities....

Poad

HSC

They can't get rid of it; that whole part of the uni is heritage listed.
Ahh okay then, that person who told me was wrong then. (Or, y'know, I was totally conned into voting for them)

macca1819

HSC

hahah welcome to ancient history.
AHST 101 is ridiculous. All the questions every week have so much required reading. I gave up on it. There's no exam so I'm not worried, but if there was I would have dropped. Are all ancient courses like this one? If so I'm not doing any more.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

AHST 101 is ridiculous. All the questions every week have so much required reading. I gave up on it. There's no exam so I'm not worried, but if there was I would have dropped. Are all ancient courses like this one? If so I'm not doing any more.
er, there is an exam. And yes, ancient history generally requires a lot of reading, 101 isnt too bad, there are others that require quite a bit more.

macca1819

HSC

er, there is an exam. And yes, ancient history generally requires a lot of reading, 101 isnt too bad, there are others that require quite a bit more.
There is an exam, but we get the questions beforehand, so it's not quite the same. And are you kidding? Each week we have to read online texts consisiting of about 80 pages.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

There is an exam, but we get the questions beforehand, so it's not quite the same. And are you kidding? Each week we have to read online texts consisiting of about 80 pages.

We get the questions a week before the exam, and while it is extremly helpful you cannot come up with four solid essays in a week (if you can i commend you but i certainly can't).

For some of my other subjects i read double that, we have lecture readings as well as tute readings. If you don't do them the lectures really don't make a whole lot of sense =s

macca1819

HSC

We get the questions a week before the exam, and while it is extremly helpful you cannot come up with four solid essays in a week (if you can i commend you but i certainly can't).

For some of my other subjects i read double that, we have lecture readings as well as tute readings. If you don't do them the lectures really don't make a whole lot of sense =s
Shouldn't we get them on the 9th? The exam isn't until the 24th, so that's 2 weeks to come up with 4 answers. It's not that hard. What are lecture readings?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

Shouldn't we get them on the 9th? The exam isn't until the 24th, so that's 2 weeks to come up with 4 answers. It's not that hard. What are lecture readings?
Where does it say the date we receive the paper? I was told we would get it the week before the exam. Lecture readings are just like tute readings i suppose, except you don't discuss them. They provide you with the necessary information to understand the lecture.

EDIT: i see, its in the tutorial program, but its not necessarily the 9th, just in week 13.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Are all ancient courses like this one? If so I'm not doing any more.
Yeah I think you should drop out of uni, tbh.

-may-cat- said:
Where does it say the date we receive the paper?
The amount of time they give you is fine; it's long enough so you can remember the sources and ideas, but not long enough to really remember your essays by rote.

I remember I essentially wrote all the essays out in idea + evidence form before hand and just remembered them. I got ninety-something for the course, so I guess I went well.

What subjects are you doing next year do you think?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

What subjects are you doing next year do you think?
I can't decide! There are so many great Greek and Roman subjects to choose from. Though im pretty sure i'll be doing AHST270 women and gender in the ancient world and AHST272 classical traditions of thought. I was also thinking of maybe applying for AHST310 archaeological fieldwork, but i have a feeling that might be a bit ambitious for someone only in their second year...

X

xeuyrawp

I was also thinking of maybe applying for AHST310 archaeological fieldwork, but i have a feeling that might be a bit ambitious for someone only in their second year...
Well you need to figure out who you'll do it with... Ie speak with a supervisor and/or come to a Tele's Angels archaeology thing.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

Yeah i plan to, i missed all the other ones, they were all on during lectures.

macca1819

HSC

Where does it say the date we receive the paper? I was told we would get it the week before the exam. Lecture readings are just like tute readings i suppose, except you don't discuss them. They provide you with the necessary information to understand the lecture.

EDIT: i see, its in the tutorial program, but its not necessarily the 9th, just in week 13.
Yeah, it doesn't say what day. I'm guessing Wednesday, because that's the day that o which the lecture is held. I only have one other exam, so it shouldn't be that hard to come up wit 4 answers in almsot 2 weeks, especially if I just study a lot for my other exam from now until the end of semester. I have a 3 step process.

1. As soon as semster ends, get straight into it.
2. No procrastination, prepare and memorise answers from 10am-6pm.
3. Avoid walking past X5B on last day of semester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)