• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (1 Viewer)

HSC
I need to ask these questions because you know.. I'll argue and then you'll move the goalposts around, so we need specific detail about what you are talking about it would seem.
if thats what you're referring to, yes i did see it and no i didn't ignore it.

but in the end, whatever reasons he had, he said them. i wouldn't expect anything new.

but hey :) s'all good. i said my opinion on the subject, and that's about it for me. if you're still not convinced, i'm not gnna bag you out for wanting a solid reason to believe the publication shouldn't have been published.

oh, and i have no intention of makin my argument look better. u believe the newspaper didn't do anything wrong. ur entitled to ur argument, i'm not gnna put it down...i just don't fully agree with it.

cheers =]

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Jordan.J said:
no need to act arrogant

The cartoons are clearly blasphemous towards Islam, you cant deny that

Those newspapers broke thier own anti-blasphemy laws, you cant deny that

who cares if they havnt used them in a while, the fact is its still there

Their courts did throw the case out, saying freedom of speech is important. But with this freedom comes responsibility
The blasphemy laws have been relaxed as a person may charge people for blasphemy if theyre religion is Invisible Pink Unicorns or Flying Spaghetti Monsters would be able to make a motzah out of the courts and religion is a messy heap of crap that is hard to define anyway. There is also lack of a proper definition of a cult from a religion as well.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The blasphemy laws have been relaxed as a person may charge people for blasphemy if theyre religion is Invisible Pink Unicorns or Flying Spaghetti Monsters would be able to make a motzah out of the courts and religion is a messy heap of crap that is hard to define anyway.
It said a 'nationally recongnised religion', so I imagine you need to fit some sort of criteria to be called a 'nationally recognised religion'.

davin

HSC
N/A
so can we swing that for Jediism?
or we start complaining about the prejudice against flying spaghetti monsters.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
davin said:
there's been plenty with no retaliation.

regarding religious freedom in Saudi Arabia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Arabia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_of_religious_freedom_in_Saudi_Arabia

the jew comment meaning what?
i didnt expect anything different about the saudis, i think i was referring to the fact that although they might not allow churches to be opened (and im taking your word for it btw) they are basically sucking up to america so hard that bush's stomack has gone through a passage no one thought it would go through.

saudi arabia gave the US alot of money (dont remember how much, but it was ALOT) straight after 9/11, to help them. now, i am not sying that this was a bad thing, but it definately could have given people the impression that saudi was apologising for something they didnt do, and also a portion of that money could have gone to third world muslim countries and would have had a larger benefit.

davin

HSC
N/A
ok, don't take my word on it, click the links. its a fact that there is not religious freedom in saudi arabia.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
and also a portion of that money could have gone to third world muslim countries and would have had a larger benefit.
Instead of spending your money on this computer, you could of sent that off to a third world muslim country and had a larger benefit.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Instead of spending your money on this computer, you could of sent that off to a third world muslim country and had a larger benefit.
i got my computer for free ^_^

and the speed that saudi arabia gave america the money was so quick it was unexpected. and unexpected stuff always get people thinking.

davin. i didnt say you were wrong, only that i didnt know about it.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The saudi's were scared they might face a backlash from america over the attacks... so to appear all-loving to america, they sent some money (as did many other countries). They were scared, it was diplomatic...

edit:

By the way... can you guys ever just say 'I am wrong' ?
I'm serious, the people talking about those blasphemy laws and how they broke them, please just admit your mistake - I just think this helps the claim to not be repeated again and I think we've sufficiently covered that point.

Last edited:

davin

HSC
N/A
davin. i didnt say you were wrong, only that i didnt know about it.
yeah, but what i meant was that you're acting as though i've made a claim with no verification.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
just convert away from islam. thats all i ask people. ill personally read to you Charles Darwins book of evolution. you will feel like a changed man/woman.

Simpson Freak

HSC
davin said:
so can we swing that for Jediism?
or we start complaining about the prejudice against flying spaghetti monsters.
The jedi themselves have contradicted each other on numerous occassions almost as much as the bible, (sry jst a simpson joke, there are a few with mohammad but ...meh...i cant live w/o my beloved simpsons)

Anyway onto the jedi, the new republic jedi restrict the council to a dogmatic narrow view, and members who choose to see the force as a whole, like Luke Skywalker when he begins the new jedi academy, are often asked to leave the jedi order.

rather ironic since memorable jedi such as Master Revan and Jolee Bindo have had wives, not to mention luke skywalker who married soon after Endor. yet the jedi council of the clone wars era would forbid love.

then there are their laws, such as "a jedi is not a moral creature" which makes no sense in some circumstances. like if a canibalistic species was to go eat humans, the jedi would have no right in stopping them from basically eating their own, since his morals are null when it comes to the larger view of the force.

errr....i seriously dont think anybody has managed to read this far down, so i will just stop.

davin

HSC
N/A
cannibals eat their own, not other species.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Simpson Freak said:
The jedi themselves have contradicted each other on numerous occassions almost as much as the bible, (sry jst a simpson joke, there are a few with mohammad but ...meh...i cant live w/o my beloved simpsons)

Anyway onto the jedi, the new republic jedi restrict the council to a dogmatic narrow view, and members who choose to see the force as a whole, like Luke Skywalker when he begins the new jedi academy, are often asked to leave the jedi order.

rather ironic since memorable jedi such as Master Revan and Jolee Bindo have had wives, not to mention luke skywalker who married soon after Endor. yet the jedi council of the clone wars era would forbid love.

then there are their laws, such as "a jedi is not a moral creature" which makes no sense in some circumstances. like if a canibalistic species was to go eat humans, the jedi would have no right in stopping them from basically eating their own, since his morals are null when it comes to the larger view of the force.

errr....i seriously dont think anybody has managed to read this far down, so i will just stop.

i wish you put that much effort and actually looks into the millions of flaws with islam , instead of some jedi religion. you'll find that this jedi religion will look flawless, when you compare it to islam teachings

Simpson Freak

HSC
SashatheMan said:
just convert away from islam. thats all i ask people. ill personally read to you Charles Darwins book of evolution. you will feel like a changed man/woman.
You are a waste of data on this thread, i saw you post ever since the "questions to muslims" crap and you havent given any useful input to any thread.

though you deny this, you are just an ignorant and pompous windbag,

everything you say is somantically null and if not that, just plain moronic.

do you know that charles darwins theories are not even currently accepted as the theory of the evolution of species. punctuated equilibrium is accepted over the classic darwinism theory, but even that has its limits according to scientists. that does not mean, forget science and just pray till you die, it means we keep searching with an open mind. heck i would certainly like to know how we came from a bunch of hydrogen gas, to here, but then even the big bang is a theory so i shouldnt even hold that as gospel to how exactly we were first made.

the only way i would be changed by listening to you recite darwin's books would only to go backwards. science has explained that his theory of a slow and progressive change over millions of years is not supported by the fossil record, rather there are periods of stability followed by rapid change and mass extinctions.

are you trying to say that because people have a faith, that possibly this universe was created, is unscientific? i bet i would flog you in any science anyway so lets not go down that road. but there are many people with religious beliefs who are scientists and have no problem with trying to research how we came to being, you are probably generalising anyway, just because the christians tried to shelter themselves off from science in the time of darwin does not mean all faiths do that.

no matter how many times you tell yourself the otherwise to make yourself feel superior, people with a faith in something higher do want to know how we were created.

Simpson Freak

HSC
davin said:
cannibals eat their own, not other species.
by cannibals, i mean lets say a human on tatooine eating a human on corrusant, even thought they have diff homeworlds

tempco

HSC
Simpson Freak said:
You are a waste of data on this thread, i saw you post ever since the "questions to muslims" crap and you havent given any useful input to any thread.

though you deny this, you are just an ignorant and pompous windbag,

everything you say is somantically null and if not that, just plain moronic.
Should've stopped right there.

davin

HSC
N/A
but then even the big bang is a theory so i shouldnt even hold that as gospel to how exactly we were first made.
gravity is a theory too. feel like jumping off a bridge?

the theory of evolution holds out, darwin has been refined through more information, but its strenghthened the case, not weakened it.

davin

HSC
N/A
Simpson Freak said:
by cannibals, i mean lets say a human on tatooine eating a human on corrusant, even thought they have diff homeworlds
if i eat a guy from russia, i'm still a canibal, even though I'm not from Russia.
cannibalism is species-based, not culturally or racially based.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)