• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (1 Viewer)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
absolution* said:
Perhaps, but you know whats really tiresome.. your outdated ideas about how the world should work. I guess its just a natural disadvantage of growing up the country, not being exposed to ideologies differing to your own and reading the telegraph for your source of information. <3

What would you prefer? A world that is nothing more than a theocracy masquerading under the guise of a partially free world where the sovereign, liberal nations are dictated to by oppressive regimes that have no regard for anyone else's culture, views, or ideals.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
What would you prefer? A world that is nothing more than a theocracy masquerading under the guise of a partially free world where the sovereign, liberal nations are dictated to by oppressive regimes that have no regard for anyone else's culture, views, or ideals.
What on earth are you talking about :confused:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
HotShot said:
much like how 'muslims' dont tend to like western cultures...
Yes, i too noticed the blatant hypocrisy of that comment. Not considering something because you are opposed to it leaves no room for thought provocation. And i guess what you see is the end result of that.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
davin said:
if christians found it offensive that the quran doesn't acknowledge jesus as the son of god, would you support the quran not being published so as to not offend them?
heck, im sure those that would get offended over that would also get offended over the fact that christians that love mother mary prefer to dress up as a singer instead of her, and those that are meant to be offending him are following mother mary's dress code.

hasnt that bit of information nibbled at you mind at least once in your life?

Last edited:

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
absolution* said:
What on earth are you talking about :confused:

Well what the hell did you mean by that post? From what I can gather Katie is pointing out how muslims should not over react and you're saying that we should accept that they over react and not say anything against it.

davin

HSC
N/A
veterandoggy said:
heck, im sure those that would get offended over that would also get offended over the fact that christians that love mother mary prefer to dress up as a singer instead of her, and those that are meant to be offending him are following mother mary's dress code.

hasnt that bit of information nibbled at you mind at least once in your life?
my point is who decides what things that offend people one removes and what things that offend people one doesn't remove.

davin

HSC
N/A
you're talking in abstracts and subjective terms. whose common sense? clearly many disagree with you.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
you're talking in abstracts and subjective terms. whose common sense? clearly many disagree with you.
its common sense not to publish cartoon that would insult a billion believers, especially on such a sensitive period of time.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
HotShot said:
its common sense not to publish cartoon that would insult a billion believers, especially on such a sensitive period of time.
I'm sure playboy would offend more than a billion people, but those people can choose not to read it if they deem it inappropriate. Same deal with the Jyllands Posten.

davin

HSC
N/A
so, hotshot, i trust you're then most angered at the danish imams that made cartoons of muhammad as a pedophile and then used them to anger people?

and its common sense, to me, to not to let threats of violence, and actual violence, deter a country from giving its citizens rights such as the right of free speech. its common sense for a country to beleive in freedom. its common sense for a paper to discuss directly issues of self-censorship within the media because of intimidation by religious fundamentalists. its common sense, to me, that when a cartoon shows muhammad with a bomb on his head, its discussing the connections that have been made between islam and terrorism by fundamentalists and its common sesne that they are not trying to claim that muhammad was a terrorists and that every muslim there has ever been was also a terrorist. tahts MY common sense.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Oh wow even though there are horrible cartoons of Jews in Iranian papers every day OH NO DAY CRORSEED DE LIEN.
are there 'horrible jews' and i dont see the jews complaining?

davin

HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
Oh wow even though there are horrible cartoons of Jews in Iranian papers every day OH NO DAY CRORSEED DE LIEN.
hey, the world's worked very hard to make sure that cartoons about jews won't insult anywhere near a billion people. sort of.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
so, hotshot, i trust you're then most angered at the danish imams that made cartoons of muhammad as a pedophile and then used them to anger people?

and its common sense, to me, to not to let threats of violence, and actual violence, deter a country from giving its citizens rights such as the right of free speech. its common sense for a country to beleive in freedom. its common sense for a paper to discuss directly issues of self-censorship within the media because of intimidation by religious fundamentalists. its common sense, to me, that when a cartoon shows muhammad with a bomb on his head, its discussing the connections that have been made between islam and terrorism by fundamentalists and its common sesne that they are not trying to claim that muhammad was a terrorists and that every muslim there has ever been was also a terrorist. tahts MY common sense.
its common sense to prevent violence, terrorism! rather than to escalate it. its common sense not to discriminate, create hatred, anger etc. its common sense to respects other beliefs whether u believe in it or not. its common sense not to judge a n entire religion based on few a ppl's actions. its common sense to encourage peace, freedom, rather than to humiliate it and criticise it.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
davin said:
hey, the world's worked very hard to make sure that cartoons about jews won't insult anywhere near a billion people. sort of.
If the world doesn't do anything about Iran then cartoons about Jews won't offend anybody at all. (sort of)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
HotShot said:
its common sense to prevent violence, terrorism! rather than to escalate it. its common sense not to discriminate, create hatred, anger etc. its common sense to respects other beliefs whether u believe in it or not. its common sense not to judge a n entire religion based on few a ppl's actions. its common sense to encourage peace, freedom, rather than to humiliate it and criticise it.
Tell that to the Imams, not us.

(and the mullahs, shieks, muftis, and whatever else they call themselves)

davin

HSC
N/A
its common sense to encourage peace, freedom, rather than to humiliate it and criticise it.
YOURE the one arguing AGAINST freedom!

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Anyone noticed the double standard expected, and not just by muslims but by appeasing cowards such as Leuing (who I used to like).

He says that he wouldn't draw a cartoon of Mohammed but he would draw one of Jesus. Wouldn't it hurt the sensibilities of everyone who believes in Jesus when he is insulted just as much as it hurts the sensibilties of everyone who believes in Mohammed to see him insulted. (Of course the difference is the maturity of their reaction). So why should Mohammed get preferrential treatment.

And Leuing is quick to label Israel and America fasicist states but he does not criticise any of the Middle East theocracies who wouldn't even allow most of his cartoons to be published their and who would never have allowed him to criticise their government were their citizen.

Perhaps he should realise just how good people have it in these fascist states.

And it's also been pointed out that the ABC showed the cartoons of the Holocaust (which it is allowed to do) and an art gallery bought them and the ABC constantly campaigns freedom of speech and press etc and decries censorship but where are the cartoons of Mohammed?

Damned double standards. Sorry if this isn't actually to constructive but I read that article this morning and have been seething over it all day.

davin

HSC
N/A
my question...why does the media run the pictures from abu gharib? aren't THOSE offensive too?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)