• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (1 Viewer)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
Anyone noticed the double standard expected, and not just by muslims but by appeasing cowards such as Leuing (who I used to like).

He says that he wouldn't draw a cartoon of Mohammed but he would draw one of Jesus. Wouldn't it hurt the sensibilities of everyone who believes in Jesus when he is insulted just as much as it hurts the sensibilties of everyone who believes in Mohammed to see him insulted. (Of course the difference is the maturity of their reaction). So why should Mohammed get preferrential treatment.

And Leuing is quick to label Israel and America fasicist states but he does not criticise any of the Middle East theocracies who wouldn't even allow most of his cartoons to be published their and who would never have allowed him to criticise their government were their citizen.

Perhaps he should realise just how good people have it in these fascist states.

And it's also been pointed out that the ABC showed the cartoons of the Holocaust (which it is allowed to do) and an art gallery bought them and the ABC constantly campaigns freedom of speech and press etc and decries censorship but where are the cartoons of Mohammed?

Damned double standards. Sorry if this isn't actually to constructive but I read that article this morning and have been seething over it all day.

actually Leunig was against the cartoons of the holocaust, after one dude from Chaser posed as him and sent a cartoon to the iranian newspaper. Interesting isnt it, that leunig is against a cartoon of a holocaust but not one against muslims..? he claimed the the cartoon which he drew wasnt anti-semitic?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
It insults america to highlight to bad aspects of their society, just as it insults muslims to highlight the bad aspects of their religion.
But surely if we are to believe the rhetoric of the Bush Adminstration such indecent acts at Abu Gharib are being carried out by a few bad apples, and thus are not reflective of the American populace as a whole.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
It insults america to highlight to bad aspects of their society, just as it insults muslims to highlight the bad aspects of their religion.
thats ur perspective to say bad aspects of islam. wats so bad about it?

HSC
Enlightened_One said:
Anyone noticed the double standard expected, and not just by muslims but by appeasing cowards such as Leuing (who I used to like).

He says that he wouldn't draw a cartoon of Mohammed but he would draw one of Jesus. Wouldn't it hurt the sensibilities of everyone who believes in Jesus when he is insulted just as much as it hurts the sensibilties of everyone who believes in Mohammed to see him insulted. (Of course the difference is the maturity of their reaction). So why should Mohammed get preferrential treatment.

And Leuing is quick to label Israel and America fasicist states but he does not criticise any of the Middle East theocracies who wouldn't even allow most of his cartoons to be published their and who would never have allowed him to criticise their government were their citizen.

Perhaps he should realise just how good people have it in these fascist states.

And it's also been pointed out that the ABC showed the cartoons of the Holocaust (which it is allowed to do) and an art gallery bought them and the ABC constantly campaigns freedom of speech and press etc and decries censorship but where are the cartoons of Mohammed?

Damned double standards. Sorry if this isn't actually to constructive but I read that article this morning and have been seething over it all day.
It could just be as simple as sticking with what he knows. I'll pile shit on pretty much anything I'm given the opportunity to, but Jesus is a much better target (Than Mohammed or others) because I'm somewhat more familiar with the subject material (Not that that's saying a lot, as my indifference towards religion has led to a fairly significant lack of familiarity with the specifics of any religion). Perhaps it's just that he (or the ABC, or anyone else this is directed towards), is sticking with the criticism and/or parody of things which they see as being (most/more) relevant.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
absolution* said:
But surely if we are to believe the rhetoric of the Bush Adminstration such indecent acts at Abu Gharib are being carried out by a few bad apples, and thus are not reflective of the American populace as a whole.

That's the same rhetoric under a different guise that is said about the extremists of islam.

HSC
HotShot said:
Absolutely nothing, it's perfect and if you follow Islam to the letter you shit clouds of butterflies. Are you really that keen for an argument that you missed the fact that that wasn't a specific attack on the shining beacon of light in our world that is Islam?

davin

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
so...terrorism isn't a bad aspect?

same with the cartoons...not portraying all muslims as terrorists, but some used it to generalise. plus, don't the pictures offend muslims? or are they cool with it?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
That's the same rhetoric under a different guise that is said about the extremists of islam.
Your point? They are both tyrannical and evil structures.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
so...terrorism isn't a bad aspect?
that exactly the fucken problem with u idiots., Terrorism has nothing to do with islam.
just cause the terrorists are muslims doesnt mean that islam promotes or is a 'terrorist' religion.

There are other extremist terrorists from other religions, like Jews, Chrisitians, does and even terrorists who have kno religious background. Does this mean that the religion is itself a terrorist organisation?

fucken get ur head right before making stupid remarks.

freedom, is not just what america does!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Same as if we are to believe the rhetoric of the muslim community on this issue - only a few bad apples are terrorists. It hurts people whom want to believe their country is perfect to have to see pictures of their soldiers being total fucks and read stories about how this permeates throughout the chain of command... just as it hurts muslims whom don't want to realise their religion is being hijacked by a more radical form of the religion which is using terrorism.

Both I think are fair commentaries of different situations, however only the one about the US gets published.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
HotShot said:
that exactly the fucken problem with u idiots., Terrorism has nothing to do with islam.
just cause the terrorists are muslims doesnt mean that islam promotes or is a 'terrorist' religion.

There are other extremist terrorists from other religions, like Jews, Chrisitians, does and even terrorists who have kno religious background. Does this mean that the religion is itself a terrorist organisation?

fucken get ur head right before making stupid remarks.

freedom, is not just what america does!
There may be a few terrorists from other religions, but nothing breeds them like Islam.

davin

HSC
N/A
terrorism is a prominant feature of islamic culture as it is a very vocal group that has interpretted islam that way. that doesn't mean all muslims are terrorists, it means that within the islamic world, there is a segement that supports terrorism very activly.
its similar to how fundamental christians pushing for teaching creationism is an issue with christianity. its not all christians, but its a part of them

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well about Islam breeding terrorists... I don't think that's quite accurate, I don't think it's the religion its self but an expression of unhappyness with the world (economic / political / etc) through Islam.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
It could just be as simple as sticking with what he knows. I'll pile shit on pretty much anything I'm given the opportunity to, but Jesus is a much better target (Than Mohammed or others) because I'm somewhat more familiar with the subject material (Not that that's saying a lot, as my indifference towards religion has led to a fairly significant lack of familiarity with the specifics of any religion). Perhaps it's just that he (or the ABC, or anyone else this is directed towards), is sticking with the criticism and/or parody of things which they see as being (most/more) relevant.

But he said pretty much that Jesus needs to be parodied etc. Why not Mohammed then.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
absolution* said:
Your point? They are both tyrannical and evil structures.

Exactly. That's why they should be criticised etc. And that is why the West should not be intimidated by these tyrannies seeking to oppress the rest of the world. One could be forgiven, upon reading your past posts, for thinking you were defending the riots.

davin

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Well about Islam breeding terrorists... I don't think that's quite accurate, I don't think it's the religion its self but an expression of unhappyness with the world (economic / political / etc) through Islam.
exaclty....also why the more oppressive governments in the region lead to the more extremists. saudi arabia comes to mind. i've not been hearing much of the muslims in india...even though there's a lot of them.
its a lot of both education and political freedom

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)