• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (1 Viewer)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
Exactly. That's why they should be criticised etc. And that is why the West should not be intimidated by these tyrannies seeking to oppress the rest of the world. One could be forgiven, upon reading your past posts, for thinking you were defending the riots.
You know, its feasible to be critical of both the US and Islam. And if you read my comment properly youll note that i assign a similarity of tyranny to both Bush and Muslim extremists, so you have obviously misinterpreted what i said.

neva say die

~~<<NeVa SaY DiE>>~~
HSC
this is indeed very controversial. I myself am against violence.but this is more than about religion...its about provokation.its about human psychology. When even the gentlest person is provoked they can commit murder. I think for muslims its their religion.Which is being continiously provoked.The soft spot is being pushed really hard.Perhaps a misunderstanding of the culture/religion coupled with the label of muslims being "terrorist" has already made these ppl extremely distressed.then all of these things happen and it just helps further up the whole concept of misunderstanding and anger. I believe tht rather than publishing these cartoons if the cartoonist actually took time to understand the religion they may have been enlightened. I suggest if the places of muslim in this world has to be known all the world should teach about muslim history..muslim idealism rather than drawing cartoons of provocation.

its not a matter of freedom of speech....not at all...if it was a could be swearing in public to a prime minister( doesnt ammter which country) and still not be arrested for it. if freedom of speech means u swear at your parents and teachers well i reckon western world is moving at a fast rate towards civilisation( this ofcourse is sarcasm)...
atleast i respect my religion..parents and teachers....and this has nothing to do with suppression or freedom of speech...it is to do with the muslim ideologies which i have been brought up with. to respect others...to content with peace...
its upto u to make a judgement...ps..thts called freedom of thought.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
absolution* said:
You know, its feasible to be critical of both the US and Islam. And if you read my comment properly youll note that i assign a similarity of tyranny to both Bush and Muslim extremists, so you have obviously misinterpreted what i said.
I was going off more than one post. It was more a general impression.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
I was going off more than one post. It was more a general impression.
Well in that case you should consider the fact that being critical of both sides, i will undoubtedly be apprehensive of comments made by people with uninformed viewpoints of US foreign policy under Bush.

davin

HSC
N/A
When even the gentlest person is provoked they can commit murder.
completely disagree.

I suggest if the places of muslim in this world has to be known all the world should teach about muslim history..muslim idealism rather than drawing cartoons of provocation.
can't speak for europe, but i did learn about islam several years back in school

davin

HSC
N/A
from a site called "We are sorry", http://www.sorrynorwaydenmark.com/ , describing itself as
In the middle of all the mayhem surrounding the Danish cartoons controversy, a group of Arab and Muslim youth have set up this website to express their honest opinion, as a small attempt to show the world that the images shown of Arab and Muslim anger around the world are not representative of the opinions of all Arabs. We whole-heartedly apologize to the people of Denmark, Norway and all the European Union over the actions of a few, and we completely condemn all forms of vandalism and incitement to violence that the Arab and Muslim world have witnessed.
i found this to be pretty well said
We will note that we find the cartoons to be incendiary, insulting and very abrasive. We also take issue with the general stance of the Danish Newspaper Jyllands-Posten, which has a reputation for publishing inflammatory material. Yet, it would be wrong to take away their freedom of expression, regardless of how horrid their material is. We affirm our belief in freedom of expression and people’s right to express whatever opinions they hold. However, at the same time there is a need to realize that freedom of expression is a responsibility that should not be used to gratuitously insult people’s beliefs.

When confronted with such a situation, we deplore the use of violence in all its forms, as well as threats of violence and derogatory and racist remarks being thrown in the opposite direction. We condemn the shameful actions carried out by a few Arabs and Muslims around the world that have tarnished our image, and presented us as intolerant and close-minded bigots.

Anyone offended by the content of a publication has a vast choice of democratic and respectful methods of seeking redress. The most obvious are not buying the publication, writing letters to the editor or expressing their opinions in other venues. It is also possible to use one’s free choice in a democracy to conduct a boycott of the publication, and even a boycott of firms dealing with it. Yet an indiscriminate boycott of all the country’s firms is simply uncalled for and counter-productive. We would be allowing the extremists on both sides to prevail, while punishing the government and the whole population for the actions of an unrepresentative irresponsible few.

davin

HSC
N/A
i dont' think simply anyone can commit murder

davin

HSC
N/A
transcendent said:
tell that to those murdered last month, one of the highest rates of murder on record.
tell them what? i never said murder doesn't exist. i just disagree with the premise that anyone would murder someone. some people have what is neccessary to murder, others dont

transcendent

HSC
N/A
with the right motivation i believe the majority of people have the capability to murder. it's just a matter of pushing the right buttons.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
everyone could...

at war

same dude kills everyone you love.

capable much.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
Re: Jihad Against Danish Newspaper

withoutaface said:
The muslims can go fuck themselves quite frankly. If they dislike freedom of speech they can move back to their aristo-fascist islamic states in the middle east.
U can go shove that freedom of speech up ur fkn arse.

Freedom of speech does not mean no respect for values and beliefs of others. Not everyone's values are based on sex, drugs and money. Freedom of anything does not mean walking over rights, beliefs, traditions or values of others.

transcendent

HSC
N/A

LoneShadow said:
U can go shove that freedom of speech up ur fkn arse.

Freedom of speech does not mean no respect for values and beliefs of others. Not everyone's values are based on sex, drugs and money. Freedom of anything does not mean walking over rights, beliefs, traditions or values of others.
It does if it's done in a satirical and humourous manner. Some uber l337 nerd could take into offense your signature cartoon, or completely disagree with Calvin and Hobbes comics. To you this might seem silly but it may completely offend they sue the cartoonist then you would be without the cartoons. This in itself is offensive because you are allowing tyranny to grow. Without criticism, without scrutiny, we'd be no better than living in a government that told us how to think, how to feel and how to live our lives and for that I defend the right of those Danish editors and the cartoonists to publish those cartoons. We don't live in a fanatic theocracy full of crazed believers and I intend to keep it that way. This is Australia, not the Middle East, not East Asia, not Europe or America, Australia.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

You fucking moron! THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT FREEDOM OF SPEECH MEANS!!! FREEDOM OF SPEECH MEANS THAT I CAN SAY WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT AND THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS (some western nations do have some clauses against it on broadcasting, but i'm against that too).... In fact the first ammendment in america was directly set up for the purpose of allowing people to say whatever they want about other peoples values, beliefs and religion - you just want to be a fucking tyrant and impose your own view of the world - I want everyone to be free.

Last edited:

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A

Not-That-Bright said:
You fucking moron! THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT FREEDOM OF SPEECH MEANS!!! FREEDOM OF SPEECH MEANS THAT I CAN SAY WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT AND THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS (some western nations do have some clauses against it on broadcasting, but i'm against that too).... In fact the first ammendment in america was directly set up for the purpose of allowing people to say whatever they want about other peoples values, beliefs and religion - you just want to be a fucking tyrant and impose your own view of the world - I want everyone to be free.

You ignorant waste of DNA, I'd like to see anyone making a public joke about gay people or Jews. In fact I think John Laws had made some comments about gay people. I think he's in court now. When not talking in the interest of a group of people, whom not many support, you go to court in this country. But when it comes to values of one fifth of world's population, it's OK.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

You ignorant waste of DNA, I'd like to see anyone making a public joke about gay people or Jews. In fact I think John Laws had made some comments about gay people.
Well racism and homophobia have no real justification... there is no 'gay' position on issues or 'jew' position on issues, so your speech is just hateful words with no justification.

You said:
Freedom of anything does not mean walking over rights, beliefs, traditions or values of others.
That is the worst definition of Freedom I have ever heard.

Last edited:

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A

Not-That-Bright said:
You said:
That is the worst definition of Freedom I have ever heard.
You ignorant piece of shit. When did I define freedom? All I said was that freedom did not contain those. Learn to think before you bark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)