Multiple Choice Analysis (1 Viewer)

VeronikaB

HSC
*cries*
DAMN YOU QUESTION 8.
i seriously thought about it in the most retarded way.
i got A, cos New Age spirituality focuses on the spiritual self, rather then a god, or at that a single one.
i was trapped between A and B and ended up choosing A, cos i rembered something we were told in class, about materialism..

shakky15

HSC
dolbinau said:
Can someone check my answers?

1.d
2.c
3.b
4.b
5.c
6.b
7.a
8.a
9.c
10.d

Thanks.
i got the same as you, except i put 8 B.

i agree with that post some guy made above that they can see mother earth as goddess or sum other bs

i think they reject materialism as they seek to be more self aware and spiritual etc. im also pretty confident with 4 B as the main sort of initiation i remember is one where the boys become men. lol. but see the thing is, this can mean a celebration that they rnt kids any more thus celebrating a progression in kinship... but it makes sense if you say 'continuation of the law' as they become privy to secret informatuon as they get older (ties in with the short answer actually)

question 4 was a piece of shit. question 8 caused me a bit of angst too.

ps - im pretty sure 5/ is pentecostal. uniting church didnt gain numbers as a result of den. switching. it was a merger between methodists, and some other groups.

thommy

HSC
N/A
shakky15 said:
i got the same as you, except i put 8 B.

i agree with that post some guy made above that they can see mother earth as goddess or sum other bs

i think they reject materialism as they seek to be more self aware and spiritual etc. im also pretty confident with 4 B as the main sort of initiation i remember is one where the boys become men. lol. but see the thing is, this can mean a celebration that they rnt kids any more thus celebrating a progression in kinship... but it makes sense if you say 'continuation of the law' as they become privy to secret informatuon as they get older (ties in with the short answer actually)

question 4 was a piece of shit. question 8 caused me a bit of angst too.

ps - im pretty sure 5/ is pentecostal. uniting church didnt gain numbers as a result of den. switching. it was a merger between methodists, and some other groups.
I completely agree.

crestor

HSC
Initiation
  • Initiation brings young people into the adult community.
  • Young men and women participated in separate ceremonies.
  • PUBERTY INITIATION:
    • The initiated person learns sacred stories and traditions of the group
    • The initiated person is taught the cultural values of the group
I did a quick search and found this ^^^ on some SOR syllabus site http://mrachmar.com/sor11/aboriginalspirituality.html and thats why I think that it is (A) for question 4

I hope so because 10/10 if it is

Last edited:

Garygaz

HSC
crestor said:
Initiation
  • Initiation brings young people into the adult community.
  • Young men and women participated in separate ceremonies.
  • PUBERTY INITIATION:
I did a quick search and found this ^^^ on some SOR syllabus site and thats why I think that it is (B) for question 4

I hope so because 10/10 if it is
Well if that's from a BOS syllabus for SOR then yea, it's (b).

Woo 10/10

emo-kid-91

Cheer me up?
HSC
kinship, though, refers to the "complex system of obligation between members of a tribe" or something like that.

this means they're taught about the group. like about its laws.

still supporting (a) here.

Zippora

HSC
what did people get for the multiple choice about the nature of the relationship between aboriginal's and the land?

i dont know the letters, but did you say
obligation to the land
or
provides them with food and shelter?

emo-kid-91

Cheer me up?
HSC
Zippora said:
what did people get for the multiple choice about the nature of the relationship between aboriginal's and the land?

i dont know the letters, but did you say
obligation to the land
or
provides them with food and shelter?
obligation to the land. (ie. B)

Telekinetik

ça m'a fait du bien
HSC
Could someone please put the questions up? It's getting annoying hear people talking about what answers they got for everything when I forget the questions lolll.

emo-kid-91

Cheer me up?
HSC
1. What is a totem in Aboriginal spirituality?
a. A symbol of unity among all Aboriginal people.
b. A burning stick that is carried between Aboriginal camps.
c. A wooden pipe used to create musical sounds at ceremonies.
d. A fish, plant or animal that represents a spirit ancestor in a region.
2. What was a consequence of the Mabo decision?
a. Aboriginal people gained the right to vote.
b. The policy of assimilation was abandoned.
c. The concept of terra nullius was overturned.
d. Aboriginal people gained equal citizenship status.
3. What relationship between Aboriginal people and the land is central to Aboriginal spirituality?
a. They should conserve the land.
b. They have obligations to the land.
c. The land provides them with an income.
d. The land provides them with food and shelter.
4. What is the main purpose of initiation for young Aboriginal people?
a. To ensure continuation of the law.
b. To celebrate kinship relationships.
c. To train the leaders of the Land Rights Movement.
d. To enable them to resist the effects of dispossession.
5. In Australia, which of the following has gained the greatest number of followers as a result of denominational switching?
a. Catholicism.
b. Anglicanism.
c. Pentecostal churches.
d. Uniting Church of Australia.
6. Which statement describes a change that has occurred in Australia's religious landscape since 1945?
a. >Jews and <Buddhists.
b. >Buddhists and >Hindus.
c. <Christians and <Muslims.
d. <Buddhists and >Christians
7. In the 1990s the Catholic Church overtook the Anglican Churhch as the largest religious group in Australia. What is the best explanation of this trend?
a. Changing immigration patterns.
b. The implementation of World Youth Days.
c. The increased role of Catholics in political activities.
d. The inclusion of women in leadership roles in the Anglican Church.
8. What would followers of New Age spirituality reject?
a. Spirituality focused on deity.
b. Modern materialistic values.
c. Neo-pagan belief systems.
d. Self-awareness.
9. In a religious context, what is the meaning of the term adherent?
a. A person who becomes a religious leader.
b. A person who follows a secular perspective.
c. A person who follows a religious perspective.
d. A person who takes part in religious dialogue
10. What has been an effect of the interfaith dialogue in Australia?
a. The formation of the Uniting Church in 1977.
b. Joint social welfare work of the Christian churches in Australia.
c. The Reconciliation walk over the SHB in 2000.
d. Joint statements on homelessness by representatives of religious traditions.

Telekinetik

ça m'a fait du bien
HSC
Question 8: I think if the word were 'god' then it would definitely be A, but it said 'deity' which made me question it.

Wiki:
Deity
Deity or God. Intelligence and will superior to the human, forming the intelligent and vital governing essence of the universe, whether this universe be large or small. The principal views as to the nature of deity may be classed as
1) pantheistic,
2) polytheistic,
3) henotheistic, and
4) monotheistic.

New-age religions are pantheistic -- so I'm going to go with B as the correct answer.

emo-kid-91

Cheer me up?
HSC
Telekinetik said:
Question 8: I think if the word were 'god' then it would definitely be A, but it said 'deity' which made me question it.
dictionary.com said:
de·i·ty
Pronunciation Key - dee-i-tee
–noun, plural -ties.
1. a god or goddess.​
they're just trying to confuse you.

i agree with (b), though.

crestor

HSC
Telekinetik said:

Wiki:
Deity
Deity or God. Intelligence and will superior to the human, forming the intelligent and vital governing essence of the universe, whether this universe be large or small. The principal views as to the nature of deity may be classed as
1) pantheistic,
2) polytheistic,
3) henotheistic, and
4) monotheistic.

New-age religions are pantheistic -- so I'm going to go with B as the correct answer.
but now I think you have mis redhe question/mis interpreted. It says "Spirituality FOCUSED on diety ie Christianity. New age religions may believe in a deity/pray to a deity/make sacrafice but in my opinion their spirituality is not focused on deity but focused on self fufilment which can be modern materialistic values can it not?

emo-kid-91

Cheer me up?
HSC
crestor said:
...focused on self fufilment which can be modern materialistic values can it not?
no.

dictionary.com said:
ma·te·ri·al·ism
[muh-teer-ee-uh-liz-uhm]
–noun
1. preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.​

dolbinau

HSC
I suppose it is, but it just sounds so basic "modern materialistic values"?

It sounds more like a Hippie than a follower to a "new age religion".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deity

A deity is a postulated preternatural or supernatural being, who is always of significant power, worshipped, thought holy, divine, or sacred, held in high regard, and respected by human beings.
From all the new age practices we were told to look at, Scientology, Astrology, Meditation etc.. (Can't think of many more off the top of my head) they just don't have this. There may be some exceptions but I don't know, I think it's the 'most correct' answer - I don't know if you can generalise that most new age religions reject modern 'materalistic' values

stupendified

HSC
Diety i think describes having an ultimate supernatural being ie. God or Allah. New age practices (tarot cards etc.) don't exactly have an ultimate power, it's more self-focused, energy flowing from within... so I think the answer is (a). They don't really reject materialism, the religion is generally tailored to suit the person.

Telekinetik

ça m'a fait du bien
HSC
I just googled "focused on Deity" and guess what comes up -- "In truth, Wicca is a religion that is very focused on Deity, on developing relationship with the Old Gods of our ancestors."
I think deity can also mean just to focus on a divine energy - and most new-age religions focus on that divine energy through worshipping nature (thus pantheistic as they see and experience 'God' through nature).
And honestly, think about it, I don't think the markers would say that new-age religions were material in nature, it's too negative (unless they were some neo-conservative fundamentalist Christians or something lololol).

Last edited:

crestor

HSC
It [New Age Spirituality] is characterized by an eclectic and individual approach to spirituality with a general rejection of mainstream dogma and religion. (From wiki)

Religion is :
a) the service and worship of God or the supernatural
b) commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
c) a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

Thus A)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)