• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

music ltastes, boys and girls (1 Viewer)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
well iam not entirely sure about this and this is total generalisation but it seems to me that alot more guys have developed their own individual tastes for music than girls, or atleast by the age iam at[17]
more guys seem to have their own tastes in music than girls... like most girls all just listen to pop and what not, iam not saying there is anything wrong with pop, but all my friends have their own individual tastes in music, like iam not into heavy metal, but one of my friends is and i respect that cause thats his tastes, atleast he has a taste in music...

alot of girls listen to whats on the radio and thats about it, i like to feel that i have experienced a broad spectrum of music styles and decided that rap is probably my favourite, but i still have a place for rock....stuff on the radio today doesnt seem to do it for me.. but ok whatever, the thread about music quotes made me think about it cause like if u jut listen to pop stuff how canu truly experience music?? thats alliam saying

artfag

Banned
HSC
there are heaps of girls into underground hip hop

i'm yet to find one that's into extreme japanese noise

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
artfag said:
there are heaps of girls into underground hip hop

only ugly ones and lesbians.

Abu Ghurayb

Banned
HSC
N/A
artfag said:
Sachiko M.

I know a fair few chicks who perform/listen to noise. Some of them are even pretty hot.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i would like underground hip hop, cept its underground, so i never hear it, except when one of the hip hop geeks at work puts it on. i like it then.

cant say im into japanese noise tho. im not edgy/eXtreem goth enough

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
i know several girls who like black/thrash/death metal, who aren't goths or lezzos. they are awesome to say the least :D

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
i just deleted all my music of the computer and gonna download noly pop music. after years of searching i finally found what piece of me missing. brittany spears here i come

kaylz

HSC
SashatheMan said:
i just deleted all my music of the computer and gonna download noly pop music. after years of searching i finally found what piece of me missing. brittany spears here i come
lol whatever turns you on

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
a lot of guys share a lot of my music tastes

I wish I could just paste my playlist here. But I work with Windows Media Player & iTunes.

Ah well.

I think there is a general, broad division in some genres yes. I think more girls will see Jennifer Lopez, and more guys will go see Dungeon. And before someone attacks me, I know I've used extremes.... And not that, I guess, it has to do with genre in particular, but other factors like what the material is saying - how relateable.... or whatever. I really don't know.

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
spin spin sugar said:
i would like underground hip hop, cept its underground, so i never hear it, except when one of the hip hop geeks at work puts it on. i like it then.

cant say im into japanese noise tho. im not edgy/eXtreem goth enough
Yeh often hear some good tunes walking past GP.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
Serius said:
well iam not entirely sure about this and this is total generalisation but it seems to me that alot more guys have developed their own individual tastes for music than girls, or atleast by the age iam at[17]
more guys seem to have their own tastes in music than girls... like most girls all just listen to pop and what not, iam not saying there is anything wrong with pop, but all my friends have their own individual tastes in music, like iam not into heavy metal, but one of my friends is and i respect that cause thats his tastes, atleast he has a taste in music...

alot of girls listen to whats on the radio and thats about it, i like to feel that i have experienced a broad spectrum of music styles and decided that rap is probably my favourite, but i still have a place for rock....stuff on the radio today doesnt seem to do it for me.. but ok whatever, the thread about music quotes made me think about it cause like if u jut listen to pop stuff how canu truly experience music?? thats alliam saying
well, obviously them girls dont have much a social life, dont listen to much of whats going on, dont go to concerts etc.
but i know heaps of girls who dont listen to the radio, yet still have good taste in music.

Last edited:

slip

HSC
this thread has been done

when you first meet people most say that dont have a preference for a style of music, but if you get to know them look at there cds and that eventually you work it out.

but i would agree that its more often girls that dont seem to have a defined musical taste.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
slip said:
this thread has been done

when you first meet people most say that dont have a preference for a style of music, but if you get to know them look at there cds and that eventually you work it out.

but i would agree that its more often girls that dont seem to have a defined musical taste.
i had no idea that you guys thought a "own individual music taste" meant that you had to stick with a "defined musical taste" ie one genre.

I think I have my own individual music style, I have my own judgement on whats good or bad, but I don't have a "defined musical taste", which I took meant a particular genre in that previous post. Mine's actually rather broad, but I think its definatley individual.

I like stuff from

John Mayer
Gavin DeGraw
Alicia Keys
Joss Stone
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Van Morisson
Ella Fitzgerald
Horace Silver
Dave Weckl
Charlie Parker
Jamie Cullum
Norah Jones
Katie Melua
Maroon 5

you may label me as some jazz, applied jazz, modern jazz, applied blues sort of person then smack bam you'll catch me listening to

Rage Against The Machine
Switchfoot
Guns N Roses
ACDC
Incubus
Iron Maiden
Fuel
System of a Down
Metallica
Gin Blossoms
Eric Clapton
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Queen

Suddenly I'm a little rock/slightly alternative chick not that these bands fit together in some sort of way but then I'll be listening to

Britney Spears
Prince
Michael Jackson
Justin Timberlake
Aaliyah
Third Eye Blind

which are pretty mainstream, or "upbeat".

Green Day
Muse
Brand New
Finch

Hans Zimmer
Lisa Gerrard's beautiful voice
Debussy
Antonio Vivaldi
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Vanessa Mae's renditions of Bach music

Barry White
Tom Jones

John Lennon
Lenny Kravitz
Macy Gray
Erykah Badu
Queen
Sarah Blasko
Vanessa Carlton

and you won't know what the hell.

That's covering quite a range of genres yet it isn't a "defined musical taste".

I can't say I'm a rock chick. I can't say I'm a jazz chick. I can't say I'm a classical chick (considering some guys generalise romantic, baroque, and classical into one "classical" genre, which is retarded) but I think I have a very INDIVIDUAL style. I don't think anyone could ever really like the same combination as I do.

So what an awkward comment....

if anyone really had a "defined" musical taste and only stuck to it, I couldn't say they were particularly individual, considering they can't really fit in any other genres because they've followed some sort of "code" in the genre... and they're so narrow-minded to appreciate other music, considering all music is related, all music have sprouted from each other, from the same roots and concepts, then being only "underground hip hop" and nothing else just shows how ignorant you are about what makes a "genre" in music, considering there are so many hybrids that prove that music is overlapp-able.

Last edited:

Abu Ghurayb

Banned
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
i had no idea that you guys thought a "own individual music taste" meant that you had to stick with a "defined musical taste" ie one genre.

I think I have my own individual music style, I have my own judgement on whats good or bad, but I don't have a "defined musical taste", which I took meant a particular genre in that previous post. Mine's actually rather broad, but I think its definatley individual.

I like stuff from

John Mayer
Gavin DeGraw
Alicia Keys
Joss Stone
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Van Morisson
Ella Fitzgerald
Horace Silver
Dave Weckl
Charlie Parker
Jamie Cullum
Norah Jones
Katie Melua
Maroon 5

you may label me as some jazz, applied jazz, modern jazz, applied blues sort of person then smack bam you'll catch me listening to

Rage Against The Machine
Switchfoot
Guns N Roses
ACDC
Incubus
Iron Maiden
Fuel
System of a Down
Metallica
Gin Blossoms
Eric Clapton
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Queen

Suddenly I'm a little rock/slightly alternative chick not that these bands fit together in some sort of way but then I'll be listening to

Britney Spears
Prince
Michael Jackson
Justin Timberlake
Aaliyah
Third Eye Blind

which are pretty mainstream, or "upbeat".

Green Day
Muse
Brand New
Finch

Hans Zimmer
Lisa Gerrard's beautiful voice
Debussy
Antonio Vivaldi
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Barry White
Tom Jones

John Lennon
Lenny Kravitz
Macy Gray
Erykah Badu
Queen
Sarah Blasko
Vanessa Carlton

and you won't know what the hell.

That's covering quite a range of genres yet it isn't a "defined musical taste".

I can't say I'm a rock chick. I can't say I'm a jazz chick. I can't say I'm a classical chick (considering some guys generalise romantic, baroque, and classical into one "classical" genre, which is retarded) but I think I have a very INDIVIDUAL style. I don't think anyone could ever really like the same combination as I do.

So what an awkward comment....

if anyone really had a "defined" musical taste and only stuck to it, I couldn't say they were particularly individual, considering they can't really fit in any other genres because they've followed some sort of "code" in the genre... and they're so narrow-minded to appreciate other music, considering all music is related, all music have sprouted from each other, from the same roots and concepts, then being only "underground hip hop" and nothing else just shows how ignorant you are about what makes a "genre" in music, considering there are so many hybrids that prove that music is overlapp-able.
And ?

artfag

Banned
HSC
i think she's trying to tell us that she has bad taste in music

artfag

Banned
HSC
she also said

John Mayer
Gavin DeGraw
Alicia Keys
Joss Stone
Horace Silver
Dave Weckl
Charlie Parker
Jamie Cullum
Norah Jones
Katie Melua
Maroon 5
Rage Against The Machine
Switchfoot
Guns N Roses
Incubus
Fuel
System of a Down
Metallica
Gin Blossoms
Eric Clapton
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Aaliyah
Third Eye Blind
Green Day
Muse
Brand New
Finch
Hans Zimmer
Debussy
Antonio Vivaldi
Tom Jones
Lenny Kravitz
Macy Gray
Sarah Blasko
Vanessa Carlton

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)