Muslim cleric: women incite men's lust with 'satanic dress' (1 Viewer)

jennylim

HSC
Muslim cleric: women incite men's lust with 'satanic dress'
By Miranda Devine
April 24, 2005
The Sun-Herald

A Muslim sheik told followers at a public meeting in Bankstown that women who were raped had incited men's lust by dressing immodestly and only had themselves to blame.

Sydney-born Sheik Faiz Mohamad, 34, a former boxer who teaches at the Global Islamic Youth Centre in Liverpool, made the comments during a lecture for more than 1000 people at Bankstown Town Hall.

The Sun-Herald has a recording of the March 18 speech in which Sheik Faiz said: "A victim of rape every minute somewhere in the world. Why? No one to blame but herself. She displayed her beauty to the entire world . . .

"Strapless, backless, sleeveless, nothing but satanic skirts, slit skirts, translucent blouses, miniskirts, tight jeans: all this to tease man and appeal to his carnal nature."

He compared a woman dressed in such a way to a sheep. "Would you put this sheep that you adore in the middle of hungry wolves? No . . . It would be devoured. It's the same situation here. You're putting this precious girl in front of lustful, satanic eyes of hungry wolves. What is the consequence? Catastrophic devastation, sexual harassment, perversion, promiscuity."

AdvertisementAdvertisement
The invitation to the $15-a-head lecture stipulated modest dress and "strict male and female segregation". It was promoted as a lecture about "death" in flyers and on the website of the ICRA Youth Centre in Lidcombe, an Islamic community group which sponsored the evening.

The ICRA and Faiz's Global Islamic Youth Centre have broken away from the Lakemba Mosque, the main place of worship for Sydney's Lebanese Muslims, because, a former associate says, Sheik Taj Aldin Alhilali, 64, is too moderate.

Sheik Faiz also exhorted Muslim women to wear the hijab head covering as "a liberation from male scrutiny".

"It's sad to see today how young girls are being brought up," he said. "The way they dress, their hairstyles . . . layers of make-up, which they just shovel on in order to remove afterwards, tanning out in the sun, bronzed, shiny so she can shine the lustful eyes of men; extreme dieting, working out. Why? So she can get the best figure, but not for her husband."

He also condemned the soap opera Days Of Our Lives, which he said made wives negative towards their husbands, and said "premarital sex is fashionable, that manipulation, deceit, cheating, lying falsehood are all essential ways to get the man or lady of your dreams".

Sheik Faiz declined to be interviewed.

-----------------------------------------------------

just putting it up for debate..

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
yes, all the women's fault that they got raped.

men that rape are normal.

tight jeans are just so satanic

dieting and working out? oh noes!!!

jennylim

HSC
lol i know....i was just shocked when i read this. like - i'm sure they must feel it, but to actively encourage it and to perpetuate that lie is just awful. i was just wondering what other muslims think about it tho.

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
that is soooo bad, gees what an idiot, he lives in australia, where men and women have the right to wear (mostly) what ever the hell they want, and not get assaulted or raped. gees that pisses me off so bad!!!!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
i had a discussion with a muslim girl about not dressing traditionally. She can wear low cut stuff if she wants, or show a bit of skin, have 3/4 pants whatever she wants.

She felt like she was betraying her religion/culture when she walked by some muslim girls that were wearing those head scarves (i forget the actual name, how ignorant am i. i'll recognise it if someone said it to me...) and it was a weird feeling for her to walk beside them so "exposed".

Yet we also talked about being "sexy". Generally, you can look sexy without showing skin. You could wear long sleeves, don't show any skin besides your head and hands and still look good.

The issue about clothes is ridiculous, talking about how they "tempt" men. You could make anything look good, and besides, girls that get raped aren't always wearing "as little as possible"

Though I do agree in some extent that leave nothing to the imagination should expect some unwanted (or wanted) attention... yet in my opinion, it isn't enought to construct an argument.

Old ladies, little girls AND boys get raped too, and you don't see anyone saying it's their fault.

Kulazzi

HSC
waddle_828 said:
that is soooo bad, gees what an idiot, he lives in australia, where men and women have the right to wear (mostly) what ever the hell they want, and not get assaulted or raped. gees that pisses me off so bad!!!!
That's why Islam promotes females to wear loose clothing, head scarf and cover themselves so not to lure the males. I'd understand, because this is Australia and Australia is a Western society, however what he's trying to point out is that if women dressed more modestly, then the amount of rapings may be reduced. For example, consider this scenario --> You'd see a female teenager, not a Muslim one, who wears baggy pants and a loose top, her friend, walking next to her, is wearing a mini skirt and a top that has spaghetti straps down the back. Which one do you think most guys will perve at? The second one. I'm making a generalisation here but this is how the society is today.

Edit: I also think that culture has some influence in clothing as well, not just religion

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Kulazzi said:
That's why Islam promotes females to wear loose clothing, head scarf and cover themselves so not to lure the males. I'd understand, because this is Australia and Australia is a Western society, however what he's trying to point out is that if women dressed more modestly, then the amount of rapings may be reduced. For example, consider this scenario --> You'd see a female teenager, not a Muslim one, who wears baggy pants and a loose top, her friend, walking next to her, is wearing a mini skirt and a top that has spaghetti straps down the back. Which one do you think most guys will perve at? The second one. I'm making a generalisation here but this is how the society is today.
I do agree with you at some extent, but i have seen many sexy, fiiiiine looking men not wearing much at all. Esp at the beach, at the pools, wet, hot... steamy...

you don't see me getting up, getting all the girls that agree with me and raping the man now do you?

it's called self-control.

Giving into temptation is a sin as well, isn't it?

Asquithian said:
Muslim culture seems to keep the big thumb on women.

This is where cultural 'reltivism' and universalism comes in. How far do we respect cultural difference and when do we decide that something is so wrong that we should step in and stop it without being paternalistic and eurocentric.

However another inspired article by Ms Divine Miranda Ms middle Australia strikes again!

She forgets to mention that she is a devout Catholic a religion that doesnt treat Women as badly as the muslim religion but doesnt inspire hope for women in general.
I don't think muslim people should enforce their culture on those who don't follow it. If they are concerned with what their daughters, women etc are exposed to, they should educate them. Its the same with exposure to drugs, sex etc. Any parent would be concerned about the children being exposed "wrongly". You just have to educate them, inform them etc. Although that's easier said than done sometimes.

As for how far does it go etc. I'd probably cover up much MUCH more if I was walking around in Afghanistan, Persia etc...

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Dressing in a certain way may be asking for ATTENTION but it certainly isn't asking to be RAPED. We should be able to wear what we want, when we want. Men don't have the right to have any woman they want.

Kulazzi

HSC
"The way they dress, their hairstyles . . . layers of make-up, which they just shovel on in order to remove afterwards, tanning out in the sun, bronzed, shiny so she can shine the lustful eyes of men; extreme dieting, working out. Why? So she can get the best figure, but not for her husband."
I disagree with this statement though.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Kulazzi said:
You act as though women themselves do not perve, and that a man should not be responsible for his actions as the onus should be on the woman (how a style of clothing justifies lewd behaviour, let alone a sexual assault of any sort, escapes me). Talk about a cop-out.

Last edited:

Scanorama

HSC
This is fucking bullshit.
If he and other Muslim believe in what he said, then thats too bad, girls can wear whatever they want (as long as it is legal), without the fear of getting rape and assult. It is not the girls' fault when they get raped, it is the guys fault. If the guy wanna to have sex, then he can either get a girlfriend, or simply pay for it.

Kulazzi

HSC
asquithian said:
treat Women as badly as the muslim religion
There is a misunderstanding. Please search the forum related to this.

ur inner child said:
it's called self-control.
I agree with you there, but not many think about it when it's right in front of them

Kulazzi

HSC
Generator said:
You act as though women themselves do not perve, and that a man should not be responsible for his actions as the onus should be on the woman (how a style of clothing justifies lewd behaviour, let alone a sexual assault of any sort, escapes me). Talk about a cop-out.
I'm not trying to say that women do not perve and a guy is still responsible for his action even though the female "lewd him in". Look, it just depends on how you're brought up religiously and culturally. I live in two different cultural worlds, one inside the home and outside but my religiousity rmains the same.

Also, in the Qu'ran (holy book of Islam) it mentions that a non-related male and female should not make eye contact, instead they should just look away, down or wherever, as long as it's not on the subject. So it's generally for both genders, not just females.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Kulazzi said:
I'm not trying to say that women do not perve and a guy is still responsible for his action even though the female "lewd him in".
You still seem to believe that the woman is at fault, and that frame of mind should be unacceptable in today's Australia, no matter your upbringing.

Kulazzi

HSC
Asquithian said:
Do muslim men adhere to that?
Depends on how you're brought up really. If you are from a strict family, then yes they do. If not then no they don't, same with the females, I mean, I know a few number of girls, some in my school, who are Muslims but don't wear the headscarf or cover theselves. I have a cousin who wears the headscarf everywhere but school because the school she attends is a private christian school (because of the quality of education etc. etc. etc.) even though she's Muslim.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Kulazzi said:
Also, in the Qu'ran (holy book of Islam) it mentions that a non-related male and female should not make eye contact, instead they should just look away, down or wherever, as long as it's not on the subject. So it's generally for both genders, not just females.
So, what, I'd be sinning by having male friends? Thats a load of crap.

Kulazzi

HSC
Generator said:
You still seem to believe that the woman is at fault, and that frame of mind should be unacceptable in today's Australia, no matter your upbringing.
rephrase --> a guy is still at fault for his actions and his state of mind.

I understand where you're coming from, for example, a guy can be drunk and still rape a woman who is fully clothed even though she didn't tempt him in any way. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Kulazzi said:
Depends on how you're brought up really. If you are from a strict family, then yes they do. If not then no they don't, same with the females, I mean, I know a few number of girls, some in my school, who are Muslims but don't wear the headscarf or cover theselves.
I'm not sure if that's correct. The strict families that I know (including my own) have the most rebellious children ever.

As well as this, I've heard muslim girls talk about how muslim boys can run around, date girls (who usually aren't muslim) and their parents blow it off with a "boys will be boys" kind of attitude. I'm not sure if this is an exaggerated case, but it certainly got some girls very VERY down about their bleak future with these "promisicous" men.... Though I reckon they're a tad pessimistic...

Kulazzi said:
I have a cousin who wears the headscarf everywhere but school because the school she attends is a private christian school (because of the quality of education etc. etc. etc.) even though she's Muslim.
Why don't they wear it during school? Just curious....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)