• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muslim People in Australia (2 Viewers)

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
nwatts said:
Soha, have you ever read the entire Qur'an?

I've almost finished it. And i'm fascinated to hear whether you have or not.
i go to an islamic college
we study tafsir..interpretation of the quaran
so we study quaranic verses back to front inside out every word its history and meaning..its origin
i also learn to read quaran and learn to memorise quaran
i will not say i have read it all
but its not important...reading is not believing and understanding
i can read a verse and have no idea
but i dont..i choose to analyse and understand verse by verse and inshallah one day in my life
i will have accomplished it every single verse in the qua'ran
inshallah

tempco

HSC
Generator said:
Realistically speaking, estranged young Muslim men are far more likely to drift away from religion as opposed to turning into extremists. E.g. habibs, clubbing, gangs, sex, alcohol, etc.

Yes, we should not sweep problems under the carpet, but we shouldn't bring unnecessary attention to relatively small issues when it suits the political climate.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Realistically speaking, estranged young Muslim men are far more likely to drift away from religion as opposed to turning into extremists.
Ok... but they're probably the most likely group to turn into dangerous extremists - right?

davin

HSC
N/A
its like that you're not likly to die on a car ride, but the people without seatbelts are more likely to die.

it is what god commanded of us. If the human race was meant to be gay, and still be able to reproduce (i would imagine it ending up something like the snails) then it would have been made so from the beginning. But a woman needs a man to reproduce this is why we call it straight, hetrosexual, for reproducing...our purpose besides (as I see it) worshipping allah.
and if people were meant to be not gay, then he wouldn't have made it possible.

tempco

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Ok... but they're probably the most likely group to turn into dangerous extremists - right?
Dangerous religious extremists? Definitely.

However, that doesn't give Costello a free ticket to make a statement that suggests there are a growing number of extremist Muslims wanting to establish Shari'ah law in Australia in an attempt to remove the Australian way of life. Comments like these only alienate Muslims further. Many feel that Muslims are getting too much special treatment in terms of being able to wear the hijab in driver's licences or workplace IDs, having women's only swimming pools and gyms, and prayer breaks during working hours, but it works both ways - The more Muslims are singled out, the more we will feel as though we aren't part of the Australian community.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
However, that doesn't give Costello a free ticket to make a statement that suggests there are a growing number of extremist Muslims wanting to establish Shari'ah law in Australia in an attempt to remove the Australian way of life.
While his statement is probably somewhat true, it's alarmist and uncalled for... but in politics you have to say stuff to score political points or your team loses.

Many feel that Muslims are getting too much special treatment in terms of being able to wear the hijab in driver's licences or workplace IDs, having women's only swimming pools and gyms, and prayer breaks during working hours, but it works both ways - The more Muslims are singled out, the more we will feel as though we aren't part of the Australian community.
Prayer breaks during work hours I think is a total joke to be honest with you. If it makes you feel any better people will get over u guys eventually...

tempco

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
While his statement is probably somewhat true, it's alarmist and uncalled for... but in politics you have to say stuff to score political points or your team loses.
Exactly. And if he's willing to disregard the welfare of a certain community just for brownie points, he should expect a certain degree of backlash. The problem is, a lot of Australians are jumping on the Costello bandwagon because of the "Muslim threat".

Not-That-Bright said:
Prayer breaks during work hours I think is a total joke to be honest with you. If it makes you feel any better people will get over u guys eventually...
Not if Muslim workers start work earlier, or go home later, or skip lunch breaks, etc in order to make up for loss time. Those are the parts that many tend to forget when arguing that Muslims are getting "special treatment".

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Not if Muslim workers start work earlier, or go home later, or skip lunch breaks, etc in order to make up for loss time. Those are the parts that many tend to forget when arguing that Muslims are getting "special treatment".
Not really, because often there's no use for people to start work earlier or leave later... you need people during your main working hours, and if they're too busy praying you miss out.

tempco

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Not really, because often there's no use for people to start work earlier or leave later... you need people during your main working hours, and if they're too busy praying you miss out.
If the boss agrees with it, he/she deems that it is worth their time.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I don't think it's a matter of boss agreeing to it.. I think it's a matter of the boss has to allow them to pray or the boss gets in heaps of shit.

tempco

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I think it's a matter of the boss has to allow them to pray or the boss gets in heaps of shit.
Why is it that every time a concession is made for Muslims, it's made under duress? What about smoke breaks? After all, it only takes 5 minutes to pray. How is that any different?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
A boss should not have to grant smoke breaks or prayer breaks if he/she doesn't want to.

Generator

HSC
N/A
tempco said:
Why is it that every time a concession is made for Muslims, it's made under duress? What about smoke breaks? After all, it only takes 5 minutes to pray. How is that any different?
In some workplaces somkers are being penalised (clock on and off in order to have a break), and in general they are frowned upon by others for not being as 'productive' as they should be. That said, many smokers counter these arguments by pointing out that they don't waste as much time on the job and that they continue to work after hours if need be (if the job allows it).

When you look at it like that, there isn't much of a difference, but at least those who need a prayer break have more room in which to cry foul if the need arises.

Edit: Sorry about this post - it's essentially pointless.

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
tempco said:
You're better of reading interpretations of it which are organised by section or by area of law (E.g. Reliance of the Traveller). Reading the whole Qur'an doesn't necessarily mean you'll understand Islam better than a person who hasn't.

There are people who've memorised the whole Qur'an... sure, it's great, but many of these people don't even understand a word their saying, or have very little idea as to how to apply Qur'anic principles in their daily lives.
Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?

tempco

HSC
nwatts said:
Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?
No, I don't. Seeing that there are entire degrees in prominent Islamic universities based on how to interpret the Qur'an correctly, I don't find it ridiculous to read the works of someone who has the proper qualifications.

Would you care to elaborate as to why my post was so ridiculous?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
i go to work and i have 2 breaks
one 15 minute and one 1/2 hour
which is when i need to pray assir and mugrib
and ishaa if i really want to but i prefer to pray that right before i go to bed
and if i dont have a break but i want to pray i just go to the "toilet' which im entitled to do whenever i so desire
and pray then

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
soha said:
no, i take a "toilet break" which im entitled to whenever i so desire
and i pray instead...in the office
not the bathroom
So I should be allowed a "toilet break" to eat lunch, smoke or masturbate?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)