Muslim People in Australia (1 Viewer)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
withoutaface said:
So I should be allowed a "toilet break" to eat lunch, smoke or masturbate?
yeah i suppose, they are not gonna stop u from going to the toilet or anything?

by the way how did get 1000 posts all of sudden, last time it was around 950 i think,

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
withoutaface said:
So I should be allowed a "toilet break" to eat lunch, smoke or masturbate?
yeah why not
i dont think they care if im praying or going to the toilet
and alot of people do go and buy a drink or have a smoke or just hang around out the back talking to other people
so why should it be so bad if i take 5 minutes to pray
and no you cant compare praying to masturbating...and if you wanna masturbate on your 5 minute break
thats your problem
i can go to my boss and tell her hey i want to take a break to pray and she will be more then happy to allow me etc etc..but i dont see the point when i am already allowed and entitled to do so

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Generator said:
That said, many smokers counter these arguments by pointing out that they don't waste as much time on the job and that they continue to work after hours if need be (if the job allows it).

When you look at it like that, there isn't much of a difference, but at least those who need a prayer break have more room in which to cry foul if the need arises.

Edit: Sorry about this post - it's essentially pointless.
I wonder how they support the claim that they don't waste as much time at work, seems to be rather subjective.

One of the main problems I could see with smoke breaks/prayer breaks is that it loses productivity not just for the workers but others in the group in case of teamwork. While it might be only 5 minutes or so, it can mean that those 5 minutes are wasted while waiting for a document, or it breaks the momentum that is going on.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
I wonder how they support the claim that they don't waste as much time at work, seems to be rather subjective.
It is. More often than not the argument is that though they take time to smoke every so often, they don't waste as much time around the office (e.g., idle gossip and the like) as do other workers. It's not much of an argument, primarily because it seems to create a simplistic and unreasonable split between smokers and non-smokers, but that's how the claim is most often argued.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
One of the main problems I could see with smoke breaks/prayer breaks is that it loses productivity not just for the workers but others in the group in case of teamwork. While it might be only 5 minutes or so, it can mean that those 5 minutes are wasted while waiting for a document, or it breaks the momentum that is going on.
Yeah exactly, that's what I was trying to say... if you're building a house and all of a sudden the guy who is just fetching you all your tools stops for 5 minutes... then that can disrupt everyone by maybe half an hour.

Pubert

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yeah exactly, that's what I was trying to say... if you're building a house and all of a sudden the guy who is just fetching you all your tools stops for 5 minutes... then that can disrupt everyone by maybe half an hour.
People will say anything to go against Islam no matter how pathetic their arguement may be.

I highly doubt 5mins is going to make any difference in any profession, and even if there is urgency at one paticular time, each prayer has a wide time range to pray it in lasting quite some time.

What your saying isn't an excuse for preventing someone to pray obligatory prayers which is part of a religion they truly believe in. This goes for any religion, depending on how much time it takes to pray in that paticular religion of course and the necesaty of the prayer.

What difference does it make if they make up the time and they find the time to pray when there is no urgency for work?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Pubert said:
People will say anything to go against Islam no matter how pathetic their arguement may be.

I highly doubt 5mins is going to make any difference in any profession, and even if there is urgency at one paticular time, each prayer has a wide time range to pray it in lasting quite some time.

What your saying isn't an excuse for preventing someone to pray obligatory prayers which is part of a religion they truly believe in. This goes for any religion, depending on how much time it takes to pray in that paticular religion of course and the necesaty of the prayer.

What difference does it make if they make up the time and they find the time to pray when there is no urgency for work?
My religion dictates that I shouldn't wear pants to work.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Ok well if there's no urgency for them to be working at that particular time I would question why they're even employed - but generally in a work place environment when you're a part of a team of people and you go away to do something for 5 minutes, it can really disrupt things and set you back quite a bit ;)

transcendent

HSC
N/A
My religion states that women are property and should not be seen outside the house in anything that may reveal their identities.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
im a little mixed with the issue

prayer at work, the hijab etc, yes theyre very small things. theyre also very culturally significant, but it does alienate a culture out as someone 'different' or require 'special consideration'.

I'm not sure what I'm getting at here. I feel that it is definatley a sensitive issue. Much like how aborigines could not be 'equal' if they receive 'special consideration' or such benefits.

oversimplifying, mind you.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
prayer at work, the hijab etc, yes theyre very small things. theyre also very culturally significant, but it does alienate a culture out as someone 'different' or require 'special consideration'.
I have no problem with the hijab, I also have no problem with the praying as long as it's agreed to by the employer - if the employer has a problem with it (for a decent reason) then I think they should have to accept his decision or find another job.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I have no problem with the hijab, I also have no problem with the praying as long as it's agreed to by the employer - if the employer has a problem with it (for a decent reason) then I think they should have to accept his decision or find another job.
mm, i'd agree with that

I feel that's already been implemented, and shouldnt even be argued, considering that sort of decision making appears in the interview process. In otherwords, its not even an issue that is approached at all. I know a good number of directors that just dismiss those who require prayer, on the basis that this is a very demanding job, and they have to be there ALL the time, eg front receptionist etc.

Generator

HSC
N/A
A cultural paradox stripped bare

As Monday's reports clearly state, it's the burkha in its entirety, not just a veil, that Howard considers to be confronting... For that matter, I too consider it to be confronting, and I'm sure that we are far from being alone. Also, it's the attitudes that some extremist muslims display towards women that Howard considers to be a problem, not the attitudes of muslims towards women. For that matter, I am fairly certain that Howard has before decried the raunch culture that many magazines, for both men and women, now seem to celebrate, too.

Those somewhat minor points aside, I think that it's a thoughtful opinion piece.

Last edited:

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
tonight i prayed at work
one prayer in my 15 minute break
and one prayer in my half hour
i prayed once in the shopping complex in the center management corridor where no one walks past

and the second time in the locker rooms upstairs at work
no one ever sees me and i am waiting for someone to be like "wtf r u doing"
and i'll be like erm praying...lol i think it will be strange for them to grasp (work collegues)
but hey such is life

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Howard plays the race card on Alan Jones's radio show to take the focus away from AWB, even though AWB isn't impacting the government's vote.

Essentially it is bigotry to suggest that the certain forms of clothing sanctioned by a partiuclar religion are confronting. Especially considering that women of the catholic faith are hardly in favour of showing much skin as it is. Other religious orders also happen to wear not so normal clothes. I'm talking about monks, Catholic ministers and certain orders of nuns (who also cover up. Confronting?) and people from the Hills who wear 6 inch wooden crosses outside all of their clothing.

Generator

HSC
N/A
To take the focus away from AWB? As you say, the public doesn't care and the Government doesn't seem to have lost any ground from this issue to date, so couldn't this just be a continuation of the discussion that centres around his comments that were recently printed by the Aus?

I disagree, wheredanton. To my mind, the Burqa isn't merely a form of 'covering up', and it isn't sanctioned by the religion as you seem to suggest. Besides, to call it confronting isn't to say that in terms of 'religious'/cultural attire it alone is confronting, it's merely to say that it is confronting.

Last edited:

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
wheredanton said:
Howard plays the race card on Alan Jones's radio show to take the focus away from AWB, even though AWB isn't impacting the government's vote.

Essentially it is bigotry to suggest that the certain forms of clothing sanctioned by a partiuclar religion are confronting. Especially considering that women of the catholic faith are hardly in favour of showing much skin as it is. Other religious orders also happen to wear not so normal clothes. I'm talking about monks, Catholic ministers and certain orders of nuns (who also cover up. Confronting?) and people from the Hills who wear 6 inch wooden crosses outside all of their clothing.
Please don't confuse race with religion, it is one of the many things apologists for Islam try to stir up to try and condemn Islamophobia. If we can criticise other religions and Islam has to be on a pedestal where we are limited for our criticism of it then it promotes inequality and damage to the secular state of the country, where religion should not be actively promoted.

I don't think people should be prevented from praying at work, it isn't causing any harm, but they should have to be employed in a profession that can be streamlined accordingly.

iranian rocket

HSC
ihavenothing said:
Please don't confuse race with religion, it is one of the many things apologists for Islam try to stir up to try and condemn Islamophobia. If we can criticise other religions and Islam has to be on a pedestal where we are limited for our criticism of it then it promotes inequality and damage to the secular state of the country, where religion should not be actively promoted.
You say we are a secular country, then why is it we and the rest of the western world blindly support the rights of Israel over that of Palestine, need i remind you that Israel is nation establish 50years ago because a 5000 year old religion with a relatively small following says so? Are Jews with their long beards black suits and big black hats also not confronting??? Ive said it once Ill say it again, Why is it if one questions Islam or ridicules it is accepted by our secular liberal country and the rest of the western world, as an exercising of freedom of speech, yet if a jew is critised or the numbers killed in the halocaust or its general nature are even questioned or debated NOT DENIED, one is condemned, deemed an anti-semite a nazi-sympathiser, and in many secular western countries imprisoned for exercising this same freedom of speech(David Irving jailed for 10years). Is it that our secular western society has an inherent racist bias against islam? On the point of smokos Vs praying, most people would take more than 2 5min smokos in an 8 hour working day, so its hardly comparable to the assured 2 5min prayer sessions.

well thats just my 2cents but its hard to deny the realities of what im saying...

tempco

HSC
ihavenothing said:
Maybe I have to make it simpler for you.

ISLAM = RELIGION

JUDAISM = RELIGION

JEW = RACE

MUSLIM = NOT A RACE
"Jew" isn't just a race.

wiki said:
Generally, in modern secular usage, Jews include three groups: people who practice Judaism and have a Jewish ethnic background (sometimes including those who do not have strictly matrilineal descent), people without Jewish parents who have converted to Judaism; and those Jews who, while not practicing Judaism as a religion, still identify themselves as Jewish by virtue of their family's Jewish descent and their own cultural and historical identification with the Jewish people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)