MX2 difficulty... (2 Viewers)

kevda1st

HSC
Well it will be for 2010 I'm sure of that... (My year of owning MX2!) :D

I heard The topic their putting inplace of Conics is even more confusing and difficult, so good luck with that.

Im doing graphs right now, and found conics much more easier. IMO graphings requires alot of general thinking skills which i find i lack, thats why i found conics easier as it is basically a harder version of parametrics.

jules.09

HSC
I reckon Harder 3 unit is probably the most difficult.

Mechanics .. well fisics is phun. And that being said, so is Applications of Calculus to the Physical World! =)

Tastegud

HSC
The teacher will only go so far as explaining the topic, whether it be complex numbers, poly, or whatever.

It's up to YOU to work THAT hard to get THAT mark.

It's hard, but if you are gifted, it's an easy good subject.
VERY fun too!!

bored of sc

HSC
I consider it an incredible step up from extension 1. It shows you the beauty and elegance of mathematics and the multiple ways of approaching a question.

RUSTYROX12321

HSC
i agree - it's a significant step-up from maths 3U but it's definitely worth it...
i'm finding it quite challenging but very rewarding as a subject; before 4U came along maths was considerably easier & now that there is something that does present a relatively tough problem to solve, being able to solve it or attempt to is at least much more rewarding in itself

in regards to the opinion of our maths teacher, she reckon's it's tough - if you do more than half the paper correctly, you're set.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I heard The topic their putting inplace of Conics is even more confusing and difficult, so good luck with that.

Im doing graphs right now, and found conics much more easier. IMO graphings requires alot of general thinking skills which i find i lack, thats why i found conics easier as it is basically a harder version of parametrics.

lol.. I see....

well I think the new terry lee book for 4unit will just have conics removed... and that's it.. correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am :S

tehrobzorz

HSC
hey guys! Ive been browsing through this forum for awhile now and it seems year 11 is a fine time to join.

now...

I just went onto the bos course changes site : Course changes - Board of Studies NSW

where it has all the changes in pdf. However, when opening the mx2 course, it says that there are no changes ?

hmm....:apig:

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
hey guys! Ive been browsing through this forum for awhile now and it seems year 11 is a fine time to join.

now...

I just went onto the bos course changes site : Course changes - Board of Studies NSW

where it has all the changes in pdf. However, when opening the mx2 course, it says that there are no changes ?

hmm....:apig:
I think they were referring to changes to the 2010 HSC course. This does not specifically rule out the possibility of changing it after that.

jaychouf4n

HSC
4U maths is a v. large step up from 3U maths.

It isn't impossible, but it requires work and a different way of thought. It's doable. I used to cruise through maths courses y7-y11, no need for study or practice because it was all so mechanical and repetitive.

4U maths isn't like 3U maths in any way. e.g. Integration, you're given about 20 different methods of integrating and you have to choose which one will work. In 3U maths there's usually at most 2-3 ways of doing the problem and it's obvious when you see the problem. 4U maths is real maths, it requires clear thinking and a logical pattern of thought, you can't do this course by just memorising a few formulas.

Conics is v. hard, mostly because of the intense amount of algebra and simultaneous questions.

Complex numbers is conceptually hard, while its usually easy to just brute force the question with algebra, it's almost always better to find an elegant way to find the answer.

Integration is a HUGE step up from 3U trig integration simply cause they throw a bunch of methods at you, by a bunch i mean like 20 methods.

So yeah, if u cant see yourself being able to not work with questions that are NOT mechanical and repetitive, don't do 4U maths because you will literally die, i myself realised it when i started, and now i do my maths hw every night because getting behind in 4U maths is not a pretty sight...

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
4u maths is a v. Large step up from 3u maths.

It isn't impossible, but it requires work and a different way of thought. It's doable. I used to cruise through maths courses y7-y11, no need for study or practice because it was all so mechanical and repetitive.

4u maths isn't like 3u maths in any way. E.g. Integration, you're given about 20 different methods of integrating and you have to choose which one will work. In 3u maths there's usually at most 2-3 ways of doing the problem and it's obvious when you see the problem. 4u maths is real maths, it requires clear thinking and a logical pattern of thought, you can't do this course by just memorising a few formulas.

Conics is v. Hard, mostly because of the intense amount of algebra and simultaneous questions.

Complex numbers is conceptually hard, while its usually easy to just brute force the question with algebra, it's almost always better to find an elegant way to find the answer.

Integration is a huge step up from 3u trig integration simply cause they throw a bunch of methods at you, by a bunch i mean like 20 methods.

So yeah, if u cant see yourself being able to not work with questions that are not mechanical and repetitive, don't do 4u maths because you will literally die, i myself realised it when i started, and now i do my maths hw every night because getting behind in 4u maths is not a pretty sight...
+1. Repped.

Last edited:

viviansidiss

HSC
It's not the fact that Maths Ext 2 is hard (well it is if you are not mathematically "gifted"), there is just ALOT of stuff you have to remember and that is where most of your workload comes from. Doing that extra unit means in most cases you can drop another 2 units (because you will more than likely be on 12 units after picking up 4U), and with those 2 units gone, you can focus more on maths :D

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
It's not the fact that Maths Ext 2 is hard (well it is if you are not mathematically "gifted"), there is just ALOT of stuff you have to remember and that is where most of your workload comes from. Doing that extra unit means in most cases you can drop another 2 units (because you will more than likely be on 12 units after picking up 4U), and with those 2 units gone, you can focus more on maths :D
Off topic, but you're signature is wrong. The derivative of cos2x is -sin2x times 2 (-2sin2x), not sin2x times 2 (2sin2x) :D.

99uaifohshiz

HSC
people tell me it's not difficult

so i know alot of people who have done it before..

my cousin: without a tutor; claims that it was easy
my friend: not sure about tutoring; but claims she got higher in the MX2 hsc, than her 3U exam.

i'm planning on trying it out.

but you can always try before you buy cant you?
by the time ive posted this, youre prolly already doing it ^.^"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)