My 4unit tutor =/? (1 Viewer)

PROFESSOROAK

HSC
Hey guys, I was reading this thread http://community.boredofstudies.org...ons-regarding-my-tutors-teaching-methods.html about this guys extension 1 tutoring which raised concerns about my private tutor for 4unit.

I have a private 4unit tutor which doesn't really teach me like the theory, for example if you do coaching based tutoring they teach you the theory and like methods and stuff before you do questions. However with my tutor he just does questions from exams and yeah, the lesson isn't really structured or prepared. I go to class and he asks if I have any problems with school work and stuff, normally I do and ask those first, explains them pretty well and stuff but after that its like If you have no other questions then we'll just do exam questions <_>".

What do you guys think about this? I kinda feel like i'm wasting my money because its 55 a hour T_T and I do 2 hours of this.

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
lol you need to decide. it's up to you. do you think that you're learning anything new? are you doing things there which you could possibly do yourself or with a friend?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
If you live in my area I'm available to tutor 4U.

Last edited:

PROFESSOROAK

HSC
If you live in my area I'm available.
Lawl, YOU live in my areas. How should a private tutor normally go about tutoring? Like i'm doing curve sketching atm and Is there any way of going about and teaching it? My school teacher is a bit crappy so I have to rely on my tutor ><.

life92

HSC
Like secksmiiminh said, it's up to you.
To be honest, I think that that tutoring method is good if you are a good student and understand the theory at school well.
But 2 hours? of just going through questions? I think that ridiculous.
Maybe 1 hour, but not 2... Doesn't that get very long and boring?

However, if you have to rely on your tutor, you should ask him if he could go through theory with you as well as going through questions.
If he doesn't want to do that, I think you should find a new tutor.

And I believe that a private tutor should tailor to their students wants/needs.
If they need to go through theory, then that's what they need to do.
I think that most tutors will go through theory and then questions from textbooks, and then look at exam questions.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Lawl, YOU live in my areas. How should a private tutor normally go about tutoring? Like i'm doing curve sketching atm and Is there any way of going about and teaching it? My school teacher is a bit crappy so I have to rely on my tutor ><.
Depends. As a 1-on-1 tutor we have flexibility to adjust our approach to suit the student. Usually I'll go over the theory first and then go over some important and typical types of problems; special things to look out for etc. If u live within 3km of Epping station I'd be happy to give u a free lesson; no obligations. If interested pm me.

fullonoob

fail engrish? unpossible!
HSC
Hey guys, I was reading this thread http://community.boredofstudies.org...ons-regarding-my-tutors-teaching-methods.html about this guys extension 1 tutoring which raised concerns about my private tutor for 4unit.

I have a private 4unit tutor which doesn't really teach me like the theory, for example if you do coaching based tutoring they teach you the theory and like methods and stuff before you do questions. However with my tutor he just does questions from exams and yeah, the lesson isn't really structured or prepared. I go to class and he asks if I have any problems with school work and stuff, normally I do and ask those first, explains them pretty well and stuff but after that its like If you have no other questions then we'll just do exam questions <_>".

What do you guys think about this? I kinda feel like i'm wasting my money because its 55 a hour T_T and I do 2 hours of this.
55 per hour is some crazy shit o-o
I think doing pure exam style questions put you to sleep. So half half would be reasonable. It's really up to what you prefer as it is 1 on 1

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Sounds like a good tutor, you should learn the theory at school and you should ask the tutor for help if you have problems.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Yeah I don't see how the tutor is doing anything wrong? Other than the price, seems to be doing it right.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
This method only works if you understand the theory in the first place. If your school teacher doesn't teach the theory well or you don't understand it, then going through exam questions is really difficult, tedious and counterproductive. Some tutors who don't want to put all that effort in organising notes/worksheets and structuring lessons often tend to do this.

Like others said, the price you quoted is way too high, especially if he doesn't provide you his notes or worksheets.

js992

HSC
This method only works if you understand the theory in the first place. If your school teacher doesn't teach the theory well or you don't understand it, then going through exam questions is really difficult, tedious and counterproductive. Some tutors who don't want to put all that effort in organising notes/worksheets and structuring lessons often tend to do this.

Like others said, the price you quoted is way too high, especially if he doesn't provide you his notes or worksheets.
+1

$55 is a lot an hour and you can probably get better ones for less.

By not teaching you the theory, it's possible he can miss many things, so it depends on if you are learning enough theory at school. I would prefer a more systematic approach as with each topic, the theory often builds upon itself throughout the topic.

But if you feel you're learning enough at school and this tutor teaches you well and works for you, then by all means stay.

Dosu

HSC
N/A

sorry but i have to bump this up. how is $55 an hour too expensive? if he's a student then yeah, it's expensive but i paid $75 an hour for my physics tutor and he was an exam marker/teacher. i think $55 is fine.

mioumiou

HSC

I think you should tell your tutor that you want more lessons on the theories, cuz $55 an hour is a lot and you're doing about two hours so. From what I've heard, it's great to do a lot of questions (especially those examination questions).

sorry but i have to bump this up. how is $55 an hour too expensive? if he's a student then yeah, it's expensive but i paid $75 an hour for my physics tutor and he was an exam marker/teacher. i think $55 is fine.
I think most people would think that $55 for an hour is a lot and you paid about $75 an hour for physics? That's way too expensive! IMO. :jaw:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

lol idiot got ripped off.

ie. you

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
^yeahh because result is totally the only thing that matters, amirite?

Dosu

HSC
N/A
^yeahh because result is totally the only thing that matters, amirite?
people spend hundreds and even thousands of dollars on prep courses for umat, which aren't even confirmed to improve your marks at all.

elmoateme

HSC
Just because other people do it doesn't mean its necessary. Seriously, $75 an hour to get taught a course which you could probably teach yourself is obscene.

mioumiou

HSC
My friend has this tutor (but he has like a master degree for maths or something) and he charges something like $60 per hour. And we're only in Year 11. =S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)