my multiple choice answers (1 Viewer)

lovelyq00

HSC
yea i got same multiple choices as u dr doom...

my teacher marks hsc papers, and she said that the average raw mark for biology hsc exam is 41% in the state...

...and so it gets moderated up heaps?

Sigur Ros

HSC
What did people write for the 7 marker in genetics.
Discuss how major advances in our knowledge of genetics have changed our understanding of the way genes direct the structure, function and development of an organism.
I wrote everything that i could think of that i knew about genes for example gene cascades and ancestral vertebrate gene homologues and what we know about what genes are and what they do etc etc.Did i go about this the correct way?
I got mostly the same answers for multiple choice I'm positive i got 12/15, and pretty sure i was wrong with the three that differ to other peoples answers on here.

Dr_Doom

HSC
On that 7 mark question I wrote EVERYTHING i knew about genetics.

-recombinant DNA technology
-gene therapy
-human genome project
-stem cells
-cloning
-watson,crick,franklin,wilkins,
-boveri sutton
-mendel
-gene homologues
-gene cascades
-HOX genes
-gene expression
-RNAi

Guernica

HSC
Does anyone want to be super awesome and type up the multiple choice questions or scan? I left early and they wouldn't let me take my paper so I can't remember what everything was and what I put..

mel4dan

cj_426 said:
what do you mean?? didn't they ask for the things that are reabsorbed?? i put down salt ions and glucose.
That question meant, what didnt pass through. ie what remains in the blood. That would mean proteins and red blood cells...

mel4dan

cj_426 said:
r u sure they were looking for koch's postulates?? i think they just wanted you to justify the reliability and vailidity of the procedure used and asses it, not re-write what they did, i.e koch's postulates
I wrote about Koch's postulates, but only briefly. Looks like a lot of other people did too. But yes, you are supposed to talk about reliability and validity, but you can use Koch's postulates as evidence, especially for the part when the guy swallows the bateria...

cj_426

HSC
HarryKozy said:
That question meant, what didnt pass through. ie what remains in the blood. That would mean proteins and red blood cells...
so that means i'm right......salt ions and glucose do remain in the blood!

Dr_Doom

HSC
Nah those are reabsorbed after the filtration. I just put RBC and WBC.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
I put plasma and red blood cells..salts etc get reabsorbed in the tubules...it said blood products.

I think I did the plant one wrong...I said to give the plants 25ml water a day and measure the height before and after...basically the one without the structure wouldnt grow as much...hmm.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Unfortunately the exam forum for Biology is still not opened, which I have no control over. In the mean time, discussion of the exam in the normal Bio forum is more than welcome.

So how did everyone go? Predictions? Any Band 6's?

I have not seen the paper so I wouldn't know how difficult it is. Is it a fair exam?

Dr_Doom

HSC
Survivor39 said:
Unfortunately the exam forum for Biology is still not opened, which I have no control over. In the mean time, discussion of the exam in the normal Bio forum is more than welcome.

I have not seen the paper so I wouldn't know how difficult it is. Is it a fair exam?
HEYY!

Yeah it was pretty good, core was easy. Option was a bit weird.

Hey did anyone else do the genetics option? You know question C. (iii). Is that connected to the cow graphs? coz I didn't know. It was under the whole C. SO I just wrote about the cows, how they have the bell shaped curve etc..

mel4dan

Survivor39 said:

I dunno about fair...i thought the core was made hard as you could bullshit a lot of your answers and hence its going to be difficult to distinguish between the bands. People who studied properly are going to be ripped off. There was hardly anything on the good pracs we did and there was none of the hard stuff like third line of defence. Overall, i still dont know, i would rank it moderate, but i thought it was very different to past papers.

I might scrape that band 6 based on my trials and all. What would be a raw mark for band 6 in bio?

mel4dan

cj_426 said:
so that means i'm right......salt ions and glucose do remain in the blood!
No, they only return to the blood through reabsorption. The question was asking about the initial substances that dont even pass through to be reabsorbed when the bowman's capsule filters the glomerulus. Hence you cant put salt ions and glucose as they are filtered and then must be reabsorbed where as red blood cells, white blood cells and proteins are too large to even become part of the filtrate and thats what the question was referring to...

simplistic

nice as ice
HSC
multiple choice was easy hope to get 14-15
but genetice was cool
loved the 7 marks quest ..
i wrote about hox genes morphogenesis gene cascade etc
but wat else is needed?

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
Dr_Doom said:
1. A
2. B
3. C
4. A
5. C
6. B
7. D
8. B
9. D
10. D
11. C
12. C
13. A
14. B
15. D
EXACTLY 100% THE SAME AS ME...
maybe we copied eachother subconsiously :p
ahahaha

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
HarryKozy said:
I might scrape that band 6 based on my trials and all. What would be a raw mark for band 6 in bio?
It depends from year to year. It will be up to the judges who determines the final cut offs for each band.

Okay, there seems to be some inconsistencies with Q 5, 8, and 9.

Q5 is C; Q8 is B; and Q 9 is D.

Generally I think the multiple choice section has some very interesting question. But it is not difficult if you actually understand the basic concept.

Beetle

HSC
For the 8 marker question, when people say they talked about Koch's Postulates, I wrote that down as a plan, but later not to include it in, as Koch Postulates refers to INFECTIOUS DISEASES only. I know, how they mentioned that he swallowed it and all, but i think, that was a trick? Anyway, that question was stupid. I was expecting something about Transgenic Species and its impact, but that was in like a 4 marker question. Anywayz, the exam was not that hard, but not to easy. The Options were a joke though basically. Communication Tested NOTHING on the ear, except for the technologies that may help ear deficiencies. Glad to have Biology over ... now FOR IPT~!

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I really think i got a band 6:)
No real dramas at all...the only thing that disorientated me a bit was the epidemiological study question...but I'm sure what I said was right...
I think they asked a bit much on outside sources such as Mullers experiment and the 8 marker with Marshall and whatever the other guys name was. They also carried this idea into the communication option.

Overall, I reckon it was a great paper:) If i dont get a band 6 I doubt my teacher will like me anymore=( lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)