My TEACHER IS A MARKER (1 Viewer)

Rampager

HSC
Scissors said:
cem, that's pretty fucking insane. $60 is top dollar.

what do you have to do to become a marker? is it as simple as just putting your hand up? or do you have to pass requirements?
My teacher said its basically random selection, and if you are a decent marker you're reinvited back after each year.

Each paper goes through 2/3 markers and 1 senior marker before being finalised, so theres no real way to cheat the system [Unless you're a James Ruse Student, in which case they see your Centre Number, throw a Band 6 on it and shove it away]

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Scissors said:
cem, that's pretty fucking insane. $60 is top dollar.

what do you have to do to become a marker? is it as simple as just putting your hand up? or do you have to pass requirements?

Yes $60 an hour is good money and that is for the ordinary markers (The SOMs get about double that I think). It is only for about 2 weeks each year (and if you are day marking you only get that after 3.30 p.m.)

It works our for me at about an extra 2 weeks pay per year.

To become a marker you fill in a form stating your qualifications, have your principal approve it and then the Superviser of Marking for that course will look over then applications and make recommendations to the BOS. You are supposed to have been teaching the course for at least three years.

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Rampager said:
My teacher said its basically random selection, and if you are a decent marker you're reinvited back after each year.

Each paper goes through 2/3 markers and 1 senior marker before being finalised, so theres no real way to cheat the system [Unless you're a James Ruse Student, in which case they see your Centre Number, throw a Band 6 on it and shove it away]

I can only speak definitely for Modern History.

There each script is marked twice (except for Question 1, which is only marked once due to there being so rarely any problem with students answers).

If there is a major discrepancy between the two markers the Senior Marker marks it and makes the final determination.

Most subjects seem to do this sort of procedure.

2008Premiers!

HSC
Each paper goes through 2/3 markers and 1 senior marker before being finalised, so theres no real way to cheat the system [Unless you're a James Ruse Student, in which case they see your Centre Number, throw a Band 6 on it and shove it away][/quote]

Haha so true

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
tau281290 said:
WOw, ur dad's a marker. Amazing, so you can just give him ur student no. and he will.....;)

I heard that HSC markers get paid 15$$ an hour and they usually spend it all after marking in the pub=P lol, according to my maths teacher. THis is why he's not marking any more lol .
Neither of those things are true, when I do my HSC I don't think Dad will be allowed to mark any papers from my school for that reason. And try $60 an hour, one of the reasons we have NO mortgage as of last week :) :) :)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
supercalamari said:
Neither of those things are true, when I do my HSC I don't think Dad will be allowed to mark any papers from my school for that reason. And try $60 an hour, one of the reasons we have NO mortgage as of last week :) :) :)
When you do your HSC you father will have to indicate your school's centre number so that not only can't he mark papers from his current school but also from your school.

We have a label put on our desk with our school's centre number and the centre number of any school's at which we have a close family relative sitting the exam so that we don't get those papers.

Each teacher's school's centre number is also recorded by the clerical staff and if, by mistake you do end up marking your own school the computer, reading the final marks, will reject it and it will go back to be remarked again.

Aaron.Judd

HSC
My teachers have always told me that they lose money if they go marking as their pay is less than what they are nromally paid + tranport etc.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Maybe thats just from where you live, Dad just goes to school as usual and then when he gets home he gets changed, rides a bike over to the marking centre and does work there. Always seems to help us financially.

HSC
i thought that teachers were prohibited entirely from hsc marking if their son/daughter was completing the hsc that year

that's what happened to quite a few that i know of

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
melanieeeetroll said:
i thought that teachers were prohibited entirely from hsc marking if their son/daughter was completing the hsc that year

that's what happened to quite a few that i know of
No. I know quite a few who have marked with me and their children were doing the HSC that year. They simply can't mark the centre at which their child is sitting the exam.

There is nowhere on the application form that asks if you have a child sitting the HSC that year so they don't find that out until the beginning of marking (and then it is assumed that you are honest when filling in the label on your desk if your child goes to a different school to you.)

Last year three of the people in my marking group had their children doing HSC Modern History and they all marked Modern History with no problems - just indicated what school their children attended so they didn't get those papers to mark.

Scissors

HSC
Hey Cem - If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Scissors said:
Hey Cem - If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

Old enough to remember the 60s but not the 50s.

Scissors

HSC
cem said:
Old enough to remember the 60s but not the 50s.
Oh, so I'm guessing you're circa 50 years old?

I'm cool with that.

After all, age is only a number.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Scissors said:
Oh, so I'm guessing you're circa 50 years old?

I'm cool with that.

After all, age is only a number.
You are right - 50ish

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Scissors said:
you're as old as my dad.

:)

That doesn't surprise me as I am as old as the parents of a lot of the kids I teach (and older than many of course).

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
2008Premiers! said:
227 ftw!

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
cem said:
That doesn't surprise me as I am as old as the parents of a lot of the kids I teach (and older than many of course).
I had no idea that there were teachers who use bored of studies...?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)