NAPLAN results determining access to teaching university degrees (1 Viewer)

Existential

HSC
N/A
There have been reports from the Federal Education Minister Peter Garrett that only those who achieve in the top 30% of NAPLAN results in Year 9 will be eligible for teaching university degrees.

Personally I think NAPLAN is a joke and shouldnt be given any confidence or respect in the real world. It should be the HSC-equivalent that gets attention of government to reform and improve where necessary. However yet again the education policy is driven by ignorant beaurocrats in air-conditioned offices that have no idea what really goes on in schools.

Any thoughts?

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
lol have to be in the top 30% of this shit to be a teacher but apparently you can be minister of fucking education and environment by being a former ROCK STAR

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Protip: Labor are all arts students. They didn't even pass high school.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
lol have to be in the top 30% of this shit to be a teacher but apparently you can be minister of fucking education and environment by being a former ROCK STAR
I didn't realise it at first but it appears Peter Garrett graduated in Law @ Usyd.

Existential

HSC
N/A
why do they let garrett make any decisions?! everything he touches turns to fucking fire. id doubt garrett would get in the top 30% if he sat the test now.

hscishard

HSC
Lol, because most of that 30% are going to think about doing teaching in uni. Dumb cunt, and I thought we were in short of teachers now or something

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
why would anybody want to be a teacher

-regurgitate awful cultural marxist ideology to the next generation of suckers
-get paid fuck all
-low prestige job
-awful job work with boongs and other undesirables

teachers are the most incompetent fucks ever

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Get paid holidays every 10 weeks without having to use your holiday pay.

Existential

HSC
N/A
Lol, because most of that 30% are going to think about doing teaching in uni. Dumb cunt, and I thought we were in short of teachers now or something
yeah, NAPLAN is so accurate at determining future careers. ffs peter.....

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Honestly, there are 5 things I want to do with my life.

Pharmacy, medicine(Medicine as a postgraduate course with Pharmacy as my Under-Grad), Law, Politics and teaching.

Teaching because I want to be one of those teachers that can just inspire students, not teach them what the government thinks is important but what is important in life.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Well as one of the few people who actually has a teaching university degree I'll just share a few things I have observed:

- a lot of people training to be teachers right now, particularly in certain subject areas (you can go ahead and guess which) have really poor literacy skills and aren't too bright

- clearly ATAR is based on supply and demand alone but the above is a decent reason for why maybe there should be an absolute minimum standard in certain professions

- there IS cultural marxist stuff in the courses we do, but not that much...

- teachers will always get bashed by right wingers no matter what they do (see cosmo's post). The people in my cohort and subject were all smart, hard working passionate people who are probably doing a great job right now (again only one data point here)

- Raising scores probably won't help since as someone else pointed out, the highest achievers are unlikely to be attracted to teaching (although there's plenty of them there, but they're still the exception)

- Throwing more money at teachers probably won't help either, or at least it hasn't helped anywhere it's been tried.

imo having one centrally dictated syllabus/curriculum for all is a big problem because it means there's 0 choice in education (private/public is aesthetic differences only tbh), and the content/values of schools are squarely aimed at middle class white people. there's kids who won't ever, ever learn or be interested in anything that goes on at schools, and their parents and teachers don't really have any other options except to wait it out and hope they go to tafe or something. Like ZERO choice, as in, if you're 14 and still can't spell, too bad because you have to study Shakespeare now. Because middle class white people value Shakespeare.

HSC
Honestly, there are 5 things I want to do with my life.

Pharmacy, medicine(Medicine as a postgraduate course with Pharmacy as my Under-Grad), Law, Politics and teaching.

Teaching because I want to be one of those teachers that can just inspire students, not teach them what the government thinks is important but what is important in life.
you'll end up making a connection with like one smart kid

there's kids who won't ever, ever learn or be interested in anything that goes on at schools, and their parents and teachers don't really have any other options except to wait it out and hope they go to tafe or something. Like ZERO choice, as in, if you're 14 and still can't spell, too bad because you have to study Shakespeare now. Because middle class white people value Shakespeare.
we need to bring in IQ testing. the smart kids get segregated from the dumb ones so they can learn and don't get dragged down. the average ones get a different curriculum and are forced on ritalin and the real trouble makers go work in the mines or something.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)