NAPLAN results determining access to teaching university degrees (1 Viewer)

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
you'll end up making a connection with like one smart kid
That's why I probably will never become a teacher. Either I'll hit politics early, or do Pharmacy followed by Medicine, depending on how I feel after finishing my pharmacy degree.

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
m8 nearly every teacher in my school was shithouse

thats just my experience but they were really really lazy, shady fucks esp. the science department

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd be a teacher if it was guaranteed I would be teaching students that want to learn not fuckwits that will give me a hard time.

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
we need to bring in IQ testing. the smart kids get segregated from the dumb ones so they can learn and don't get dragged down. the average ones get a different curriculum and are forced on ritalin and the real trouble makers go work in the mines or something.
iq testing is unncessary imo except in the case of identifying gifted students

school is just one big long iq test and you soon find out who the lazy fucks are and who the dumb fucks are etc.

let kids leave when theyre like 14 years old or something the disruptive shits have no use being around

by like first or second grade everybody knows who the failures are and can predict that fifteen years+ into the future with like 95% accuracy

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I had a few really awesome teachers through high school. My biology teacher was epic, he was like "We're supposed to do this experiment but it's shit so we'll just do a fake write up about it." And bagged out Christians in every lesson.

My initial year 12 Extension English teacher was epic. He actually some how made me want to work, no other teacher achieved that. Rather than focusing on the syllabus he focused on our all round knowledge of science fiction, including the start as well as the prescribed texts. His teaching method involved us writing short papers and then discussing the main issues in the text.

My modern history teacher, he'd start off trying to teach what he was supposed to be teaching us. Then we'd distract him with contemporary politics which was awesome.

My chemistry teachers were pretty crap.

Advanced English I had a fail teacher but a good year advisor. I spent more time sleeping in class than doing work.

My Ancient and Extension history teacher was good. He made what we were learning interesting, despite me not liking Ancient History it ended up being the subject I did best in.

Basically, you just need to treat students with respect and they'll return it. The dicks should be allowed to leave at 15, or at the end of year 10. Stop them distracting the ones that want to learn.

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
Basically, you just need to treat students with respect and they'll return it. The dicks should be allowed to leave at 15, or at the end of year 10.
i thought they do

or did they change that

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
It's like 17 now and even then you have to have job/apprenticeship. Fucking government, not everyone wants an education, don't force them.

Blastus

Liberty Matrix
HSC
N/A
school is just daycare

let them leave at 12

they can write and do maths who gives a shit

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
by like first or second grade everybody knows who the failures are and can predict that fifteen years+ into the future with like 95% accuracy
i think that's probably true. i also think forcing kids to stay at school until 17 or whatever is stupid, they should be allowed to leave at like 14, and there should be more expanded tafe-equivalent stuff for them at that age to help them get a job

but not everyone can actually write and do maths at 12, some kids are gonna take until they're 16 or 17 to write at what we'd consider a 12 year old level because they're just cognitively shit.

The academics/experts will readily admit this is the case on one hand because they say you have to incorporate literacy stuff into all subjects lessons (i.e. help dumb kids learn to read and spell while you teach maths/science/music etc. not just in english)... yet at the same time the academics would RAGE if you implied not all kids are capable or suited to the mainstream curriculum as-written because of the whole equality thing they have going on

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
There have been reports from the Federal Education Minister Peter Garrett that only those who achieve in the top 30% of NAPLAN results in Year 9 will be eligible for teaching university degrees.

Personally I think NAPLAN is a joke and shouldnt be given any confidence or respect in the real world. It should be the HSC-equivalent that gets attention of government to reform and improve where necessary. However yet again the education policy is driven by ignorant beaurocrats in air-conditioned offices that have no idea what really goes on in schools.

Any thoughts?
Agreed, it's a stupid arbitrary idea, plenty of people can be fuckwits in year 9 and come good later, the opposite is also very true.

why would anybody want to be a teacher

-regurgitate awful cultural marxist ideology to the next generation of suckers
-get paid fuck all
-low prestige job
-awful job work with boongs and other undesirables

teachers are the most incompetent fucks ever
First part I agree it's deplorable.
Money isn't that bad, depending on how money hungry you are of course.
Teaching is fairly reasonable on the prestige scale imo, though tbh who even really gives a fuck about that anyway.

Get paid holidays every 10 weeks without having to use your holiday pay.
Yeh but if you're doing it for that reason, if you dont fail you'll be a horrible teacher, hate your job and inevitably downward spiral to complete failure.

Well as one of the few people who actually has a teaching university degree I'll just share a few things I have observed:

- a lot of people training to be teachers right now, particularly in certain subject areas (you can go ahead and guess which) have really poor literacy skills and aren't too bright

- clearly ATAR is based on supply and demand alone but the above is a decent reason for why maybe there should be an absolute minimum standard in certain professions

- there IS cultural marxist stuff in the courses we do, but not that much...

- teachers will always get bashed by right wingers no matter what they do (see cosmo's post). The people in my cohort and subject were all smart, hard working passionate people who are probably doing a great job right now (again only one data point here)

- Raising scores probably won't help since as someone else pointed out, the highest achievers are unlikely to be attracted to teaching (although there's plenty of them there, but they're still the exception)

- Throwing more money at teachers probably won't help either, or at least it hasn't helped anywhere it's been tried.

imo having one centrally dictated syllabus/curriculum for all is a big problem because it means there's 0 choice in education (private/public is aesthetic differences only tbh), and the content/values of schools are squarely aimed at middle class white people. there's kids who won't ever, ever learn or be interested in anything that goes on at schools, and their parents and teachers don't really have any other options except to wait it out and hope they go to tafe or something. Like ZERO choice, as in, if you're 14 and still can't spell, too bad because you have to study Shakespeare now. Because middle class white people value Shakespeare.
I pretty much agree, though most of my cohort seem fairly capable but yes there are a number of complete fucktards as well (god I hope they fail).

m8 nearly every teacher in my school was shithouse

thats just my experience but they were really really lazy, shady fucks esp. the science department
My experience is that I only had one 'bad' teacher and she was a 4 foot filipino who had polio and no fucking clue about pedagogy whatsoever, no idea what her content knowledge was like but.

I'd be a teacher if it was guaranteed I would be teaching students that want to learn not fuckwits that will give me a hard time.
Part of the job is to engage the students and motivate them to want to learn and to not be fuckwits, I believe there are few kids who will fuck around provided you employ the right strategies (though I guess highschoolers (7-10) who dont wanna be there are gunna fuck up pretty much regardless).

iq testing is unncessary imo except in the case of identifying gifted students

school is just one big long iq test and you soon find out who the lazy fucks are and who the dumb fucks are etc.

let kids leave when theyre like 14 years old or something the disruptive shits have no use being around

Yeh, I believe kids should be allowed to leave when they wish (provided they're in high school), no use making them turn up against their will and having them cause unnecessary problems.
Plenty of people who are topping primary crash to the bottom in highschool and some real dumbfucks come out of no where, but yeh generally the good ones in primary continue to tear it up the whole way through.

Last edited:

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
Teaching is fairly reasonable on the prestige scale imo, though tbh who even really gives a fuck about that anyway.
m8 status conscious chicks are the hottest

ok i work in a fucking factory lol dont bother listening to me here

Existential

HSC
N/A
school is just daycare

let them leave at 12

they can write and do maths who gives a shit
most of the people we're talking about who should leave well before they turn 17 are illiterate in numeracy and literacy when they're forced to go into year 11 - let alone when they're in year 6 ffs.

srsly it just pisses off the teachers and the kids who want to learn. everyone (including the kid concerned) knows they should leave so why fuck around and waste time?

peter garrett is so stupid for blindly agreeing with this its nearly unbelievable.

Existential

HSC
N/A
On a related issue, what age do you think is more appropriate for leaving school?

Perhaps there should be an exit strategy for these kids during Years 7-8 minimum? And from there on the school has ultimate power to kick dickheads out provided they can show they're dickheads (not very hard if they're genuine dickhead idiots who have no potential in the HSC). A major problem with the NSW curriculum imo is Years 9-10 focussing on the absolute idiots. This is shown through the School Certificate, 5.1 Mathematics and going a bit too far with the citizenship/civics shit in History/Geography etc. etc. etc. I'm thinking there should be a mainstream curriculum based on the intermediate difficulty levels that translate quite directly to respectable HSC courses like 2U Mathematics, Biology, Literature, Law etc. etc. etc. and advanced pathways preparing the smarter students for Chemistry, Physics, 3U/4U Mathematics. This would force schools not to teach to 5.1 standard up to Year 10 and act surprised when majority of their students aren't prepared for the sophiscated HSC subjects and then in turn choose the "less sophisticated subjects".

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
Imo they should be ~encouraged~ to stay but should be able to leave if they so desire.

But iirc the vast majority of people who want to leave feel this way due to prior negative school experiences, replace cunty teachers who have little care for students or passion for their job with good ones (easier said I know) and I think a lot of kids will be more inclined to stay later on.
Very few if any year 7-8s have made up their mind what they wanna do to a degree where they would feel comfortable leaving school and attempting to pursue it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)