Naturally smart (1 Viewer)

Flekky

"Parliment: the house of representatives" is also on at 2 pm weekdays on abc.
We're arte finished school now, we can watch daytime tv. yay

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
question time is on late at night.. anywhere from 12am -1.30am
:(...
fast asleeping by then...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
errr... i thought spin spin said a.m.? 2 a.m. is 2 in da morning!

edit: o sorry, i read your post... yeah i'll watch that after my exams finish...

spice girl

magic mirror
no offense but the notion of having someone do the talking for you on a message board, when half of us dont know each other's names, is a bit silly. i'm inclined to agree with you in real life, DEFINITELY, but on an internet forum.. no one's going to go into a 'naturally smart' thread and list a bunch of screennames of people whos ranks and school and marks and attitude they don't even have a clue of
i guess it has something to do with ability, but you don't know just how easy it is to have other people doing the talking for you, in real life, and in forums.

i guess a definition for smart would be when you're fed up with other people saying you're smart...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by spice girl
i guess a definition for smart would be when you're fed up with other people saying you're smart...
You're smart, u med boy u :)

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
do you say that because people wander around here saying you're going to get 100? that's not a dig - i'm just curious.
hmmm...all those guys go to my school, and between friends, they're just trying to suck up so i will scale their internal marks up, but its all just one big joke sorta thing. don't take it too seriously, i tend to ignore those comments most of the time. but they're nice to hear once in a while.

no offense but the notion of having someone do the talking for you on a message board, when half of us dont know each other's names, is a bit silly. i'm inclined to agree with you in real life, DEFINITELY, but on an internet forum.. no one's going to go into a 'naturally smart' thread and list a bunch of screennames of people whos ranks and school and marks and attitude they don't even have a clue of. not all of us have a posse from our school here, but even if we did why play modest if you're not. some of the most arrogant people i know say fuck all about their marks.
hmmm...ok, i retract my previous comment then. ur right, i guess it is a little too much to ask, but then again, people often forget that sometimes and they take it the wrong way. maybe ppl need to be less sensitive on the boards and realise that not everyone is trying to 'promote' their achievements. but then again, its really hard to know when someone is being sincere or not.

i found it humbling (as you say) to go to a comprehensive high school and still be challenged --- rather than go to a selective high school and be told our rank or performance was irrelevant because we'd still be #1 at our local school had we gone anyway.
yeah, i think the problem with comprehensive high schools is not that they don't have smart and able students, its just the way UAC and BOS scales and aligns marks, it penalises those high schools cos they have a disproportionate number of students below the average. whereas, for selective schools, they're average student is much better than an average comprehensive student. its unfortunate that the state and federal govt invest shit all into public high schools, while bloody scots and trinity and co. get millions. :rolleyes:

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
seriously the whole "naturally smart" thing is pretty empty. No one can observe how one becomes "smart", only what one can do and has achieved. anyone can have a conception of his/her own "(natural) smartness" in their own minds but then "smartness" is a vaguely defined term anyway... But whether you worked your arse off or bludge your way through, if the results the same, no one besides yourself would care. they would notice the effects rather than how this "smartness" came about...:rolleyes:

oh yeah...you gonna get 100 pigs:p

sepul

HSC
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by sepul
How about, any of you punks that disagrees with me, give me your address and we'll "talk" it over in person.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i'd be happy to!!

Is that so, please give me your address then.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
quote:
How about, any of you punks that disagrees with me, give me your address and we'll "talk" it over in person.

i'd be happy to!!

Is that so, please give me your address then.
alright i'll PM it to you, i have no problem humouring people who are all talk

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
seriously the whole "naturally smart" thing is pretty empty. No one can observe how one becomes "smart", only what one can do and has achieved.
but there's the question of 'potential':

two people may have the same mark at a certain time (lets say today), but a skilled teacher, for example, may be able to tell that the first student has more potential than the second (i.e. if they both worked at the same pace next year, the first student will get a better mark than the second).

the issue with pro-lazy and pro-workaholic voices we seem to have here is just really a mismatched perspective: we have the smart student having the ambitions of the second (so he bludges), and we have the not-so-highly-potentialled second student having the ambitions of the first (so he works his ass off).

PRSOV

Originally posted by TastesGoodBut
Is anyone here naturally smart like myself?

you see.. i do really minimal study and get pretty good marks overall... they arent great but they are well above average most of the time... and im sure if i was actually ocmmitted heavily i could get 99+ but its not going to happen.

and theres those ppl that work there arse and i still beat them.. i feel sorry for them sometimes...
smart arse prick

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
this topic is way too subjective. there's no way you can actually find out how 'smart' a person is. iq tests profess to do that, but even they can be deceiving sometimes. there's no way to be sure. but then, if you were to be assessed by a properly trained councillor at a young age, then it'd be a pretty accurate indication...

Overshoot

There are always people smarter than you, and there are always people that you are smarter than..

TastesGoodBut, you must be pretty fucking stupid to start a thread like this tho...

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
hmm.. i doubt that's what einstein meant, but hahah well done for incorporating a physics quote..

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
lol...yes, cramming the physics course in a day and a half really pays off :D:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)