need Prelim advice (1 Viewer)

rm93

HSC
N/A
what effect does it make to an individuals ability to get the highest UAI possible although they don't go to a Selective school?

(i dont go, just want to know)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
what effect does it make to an individuals ability to get the highest UAI possible although they don't go to a Selective school?

Sorry didn't understand the question properly, but from what I can make out you're asking if you are disadvataged of getting a lower uai because of not going to a selective school?

Well it doesn't effect your uai, but for selective schools let's say James Ruse, everyone puts in effort and wants to do well. So because of that people are not dragged down. In non-selective schools not everyone tries to do well, so you need to personally try harder and stay at the top of the grade. If you are ranked 1 you won't be effected, if you are let's say ranked 20, it will.

Also the teaching method at selective schools is (mostly) better and the teachers actually care about their students (mostly). This isn't always true, teachers at non-selective schools also teach good.

Overall anyone can do well if they put the effort in.

* If anyone can add more please do so :)

Good luck

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I go to very low ranking school... I feel it would be just as good as Ruse (just less competitive of course...) I don't mind though... I am very pleased with my efforts so far.

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
Sorry didn't understand the question properly, but from what I can make out you're asking if you are disadvataged of getting a lower uai because of not going to a selective school?

Well it doesn't effect your uai, but for selective schools let's say James Ruse, everyone puts in effort and wants to do well. So because of that people are not dragged down. In non-selective schools not everyone tries to do well, so you need to personally try harder and stay at the top of the grade. If you are ranked 1 you won't be effected, if you are let's say ranked 20, it will.

Also the teaching method at selective schools is (mostly) better and the teachers actually care about their students (mostly). This isn't always true, teachers at non-selective schools also teach good.

Overall anyone can do well if they put the effort in.

* If anyone can add more please do so :)

Good luck
I've been to both private and selective schools, and there are both good and bad teachers at both. There are some teachers at selective schools who are terrible, and expect that the class knows everything because they assume they get tutored/coached. In saying that, I've encountered terrible teachers at private schools - some, I and classmates would question whether they even passed at university.

Personally, I think that at a selective school, the competition and the diligence of the cohort is what makes it rank so high. It's not about how much one studies, its about how one studies efficiently and effectively. Also, everyone helps everyone, i.e. you see struggling kids being helped by the people who understand the concept being taught.

Oh, and the rank of your school doesn't matter. At my old private school, there would be at least 3 people getting UAI's over 99.. And its rank wasn't that good. The ranking of the school is determined after the HSC.

Last edited:

rm93

HSC
N/A
thank you much
my schools dux was 99.15 (id wish to get a UAI that high).

im ranking at around first in about 3 of my subjects. but it does feel like a drag that some people in my class aren't putting any effort, could it affect the class' chance of doing well?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Your school cannot make any direct contribution to your UAI. However, there are numerous (or innumerable) ways in which the school environment can indirectly have some differing level of impact on your performance (i.e. UAI).

Consider these:
  • Teachers at your school in general
  • Level of competitiveness at your school
  • Resourcefulness of your school
  • School environment in general
  • Other benefits/disadvantages that entail in your schooling life
By going to a low-ranked school, in general, you are more vulnerable to low level of competitiveness within school. If you are someone who is heavily influenced by that, tough luck. You won't get much from the school like that.

However, if you attend school like James Ruse, you would expect the competition to be quite fierce in nature.

Talking about competitiveness, this can indirectly influence your academic results. For example, if you achieve low rank or even average rank at an average school your marks won't be that great. You CANNOT rely on others in your class to push your marks up - in 9/10 cases, you will see them being dragged by others. But if you go to competitive school, you can take advantage of being "pushed up".

However, whether you are "pushed up" or "pulled down", it really depends on your rank. If you are ranked 1st, it won't matter. Your performance is only thing that is really important.

I have to inform you of this: the school you go to doesn't give you any form of "glass ceiling". You can even get 100 UAI from school ranked 600 or 500 or whatever. My point is, get the top ranks. Then you are fine.

rm93

HSC
N/A
thanks, good advice. i think my school was ranked at 14_ something last year. is that bad?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
thanks, good advice. i think my school was ranked at 14_ something last year. is that bad?
14? or 14x?

If it's 14, coming first in 3 subjects in there is extremely good. That's almost 99+ guaranteed.

However, 14x is still really high. Coming first in 3 subjects in such school is still quite a challenging task and I command you highly for that. It depends on where you are coming first but yeah well done mate

rm93

HSC
N/A
yeah, i was saying my school got I THINK 143

rm93

HSC
N/A
ah thx

no i doubt to reach that high
rather think about 90+

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ah thx

no i doubt to reach that high
rather think about 90+
Well, yes. It's important to make realistic goals and slowly achieve them in the remainder of your schooling life.

But also make sure you slowly prosgress through your goals. :)

rm93

HSC
N/A
thx again

you seem to be very much like an advice booth :)

thats cool :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)