Need Some Advice ! (University Pathways) (1 Viewer)

Which Course Should i Pick ?

• Bachelor of Computing Science (Honours)

• Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) (Flexible, No Specified Major)

• Other (Please Comment Your Suggestions)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pablo_35

HSC
Hello members of BOS !
So right now i am deciding on which course i should get into and tranfer into Bachelor of Software Engineering at UTS (LSR of 82.45) just in case my ATAR does not make the cut.

These are the courses i am considering right now:
  1. Bachelor of Computing Science (Honours)
    • Lowest Selection Rank of 77.40
  2. Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) Diploma in Professional Engineering Practice (Flexible, No Specified Major)
    • Lowest Selection Rank of 77.45

Note: The courses mentioned above are all from UTS.

My own opinion is that computing science would be better since a friend (currently doing SE) told me that if i chose CS, i would not be wasting time and won't be too behind in class when i transfer to the Software Engineering course.

Please comment your thoughts and suggestions !

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Both are pretty decent, especially for the ATAR required to get in! Try your best! I have faith that you would make it into SE first try! Don't cry in corners like me!

I would go computing science as you can apply the skills from computer science and merge it into a software engineering degree. That's what I would do if I was in your position.

When it says Bachelor in Engineering, is there a specified type? Because if that builds up the skills for engineering subjects, that would be great too, though it doesn't focus on Engineering in terms of software which would be a problem since you would want to come to SE later.

Pablo_35

HSC
Both are pretty decent, especially for the ATAR required to get in! Try your best! I have faith that you would make it into SE first try! Don't cry in corners like me!

I would go computing science as you can apply the skills from computer science and merge it into a software engineering degree. That's what I would do if I was in your position.

When it says Bachelor in Engineering, is there a specified type? Because if that builds up the skills for engineering subjects, that would be great too, though it doesn't focus on Engineering in terms of software which would be a problem since you would want to come to SE later.
It just says that it’s a general degree that has no major and thanks for your opinion :)

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Cool, I'll always be here to help! I don't know about University courses that much though.

quickoats

HSC
Usually the flexible first-year engo courses give you a taste of the various aspects of engineering, then you get to pick your major for 2nd year and the rest of your degree. So you could enrol in the flexi degree and choose a software major. You might have to take additional ‘breadth’ introductory units for your ‘taster’ of the other engo majors, but in effect, you’ll graduate with the same degree.

However, keep in mind that the title of a “software engineer” is not protected, so you don’t necessarily have to do a software engineering degree to become a seng. I know of a few people who did a CS degree (3 years) and ended up landing seng jobs anyway. Although engineering has some regulation (Engineers Australia), I don’t think software falls under that category.

Pablo_35

HSC
Usually the flexible first-year engo courses give you a taste of the various aspects of engineering, then you get to pick your major for 2nd year and the rest of your degree. So you could enrol in the flexi degree and choose a software major. You might have to take additional ‘breadth’ introductory units for your ‘taster’ of the other engo majors, but in effect, you’ll graduate with the same degree.

However, keep in mind that the title of a “software engineer” is not protected, so you don’t necessarily have to do a software engineering degree to become a seng. I know of a few people who did a CS degree (3 years) and ended up landing seng jobs anyway. Although engineering has some regulation (Engineers Australia), I don’t think software falls under that category.

Thank you so much !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)