Need to lose 20kg :( HELP! (1 Viewer)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, some genuine advice would be nice, thanks :)

Ok, so I am about 62kg, and need to lose 20kg to be ideal weight for my height (150cm :( ). My goal was to lose the weight over the 4 month hols post HSC, but I've been overseas last couple of month and haven't lost any weight.

So for the remainder of the holidays (~6 weeks), I've decided to strictly focus on losing weight (hoping to lose 12kg in the time). I really want to lose weight so I don't cringe/get depressed each time I see a photo of myself.

I wanted some advice on whether to go through agencies like Light & Easy/Jenny Craig, or I should try doing it on my own? My major concern is that I am a vegetarian and cannot exactly follow the guidelines they give on losing weight.

At home, I only have a treadmill for exercise - should I get a gym membership or should just running be enough for losing weight?

As for the diet, I normally eat healthy food, but I guess my biggest problem is probably eating on time (slowing down metabolism?). I usually wake up around 9am, eat breakfast/lunch at 4pm and sometimes (if hungry) then dinner at about 10pm. I don't snack in between. My eating patterns aren't intentional, but I just don't get hungry much (maybe cos I don't need much food?)

For anyone out there who's had similar weight issues as mine, how have you gone about losing weight? Any advice from anyone would be great, thanks.

the process of losing weight is simple. eat healthy, and exercise everyday. HOWEVER, what makes it difficult is finding the willpower and self control to stick to a healthy routine.

you dont need jenny craig or a gym membership to lose the weight. i think the fact that you have a treadmill at home is a great start. since you are a vegetarian however, you need to make sure you are eating properly, and getting adequate iron, protein and omega 3 in your diet (these usually come from red meat and fish). leafy green vegies such as spinach are a good source of iron for vegetarians. try googling healthy, low GI vegetarian recipes and learn to make them at home, or buy a vegetarian healthy cookbook. if you become deficient due to your vegetarianism, see a doctor or dietician for advice regarding how to get the missing nutrients back into your diet. you may need suppliments. make sure to balance all the food groups, getting enough carbohydrates, dairy, fruit and veg into your diet.

as youve already stated in your OP, your eating habits are not good. the fact that you dont eat breakfast as soon as you wake up is extremely bad for your metabolism. habits are hard to break, but you must try and start eating breakfast when you wake up. eat lunch at 1pm, and then have dinner at around 6- you have to make sure you have these three meals a day. and you shouldnt eat anything after 8pm.

as for the other half of weight loss (exercise) like i said before its really good that you have a treadmill at home. the burning of fat involves cardio- exercises which increase your heart rate. running on the treadmill is a fantastic way to get a good cardio workout. cardio not only burns fat, but it also strengthens your heart, so your less likely to get heart disease in the future. but you cant just start running on the treadmill if your not fit. for the first two weeks, you should aim to do 30 mins of light jogging on the treadmill per day to improve your fitness. gradually increase it to 45 mins a day, and then maybe an hour a day. once youve lost enough weight, if you wanted you could do exercises such as situps, pushups and lifting weights to tone your muscles (but you have to burn the fat first)

anyways, if you stick to all of this your pretty much guaranteed to lose weight. its sticking to the routine and actually doing it which is the hard part. good luck :)

POLANAKI

HSC
Has everyone's mind been evaded by alien's omfkn GOssh !!
62 wat 62kg your already bloody skinny :l shiiiTT .. why'd you want to lose that much weight ? you might as well chew on a stick.

Well my cousin lost 17kg in a week.. sounds impossiable but it's actually true.. probably still think im lying but whatever :l .. His crazy that's my thought ! well he cut off carbo food and blah blah blah i forgot but by the end of the week he looked so so different :l got me jealous too lol.. furthest i lost in a week is 6-7kg :l stretch then excercise 6am till 8 come home sleep ..wake up 11 eat 2eggs 1pm went for a run 3pm home eat vegetables and fish 6pm went *swimming) <-- every 2nd 3rd day.. change routine frequently don't stick to the same timetable :l (school holidays) .. school days are a bit similar only morning 6am and come back home sleep then wake-up and excercise afterwards :l

Hopefully your diet works.. not like you need it lol.. cause your already a stick figure.. haha

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
eat 5-6 small meals at regular times. You're body will start to expect it and you will feel hungry. Google information about low-gi eating, its a great way to be healthy and lose weight and include some regular exercise in your day.

I'd do it yourself, those programs while helpful provide the food for you, doing it yourself makes you learn healthy eating habits.

42kg would be far to light for you, about 50kg or so is much better. I am about your height and under 50kg and people are trying to fatten me about because they can see bones...seriously don't go over board

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Lol hmmm I'd rather not be in public in swimwear ---- but this gives me motivation to work harder.
If you're that self-conscious, where a one piece or whatever - however, I agree, swimming is probably the way to go. Even if it's just 5 laps in a row, then a break, then another 5 laps.

To be honest, I don't think you need to lose 20 kg. 10kg is more than enough. For 150cm, and a weight of 52kg, that's a BMI of 23.1, which is within the 18.6-24.9 healthy range.

toogood_

HSC
a friend of mine lost a whole lot of weight by wearing a garbage bag underneath a thick jumper and running a lot.
It might be a joke to you, but I'm looking for serious advice...
@Totallyconfused What Boxes said might sound idiotic to you, but it is very true. I actually do that when I work out. The plastic bag will make you sweat heaps more!!! So don't be a skeptic. :eek:

Sarebs

HSC
BMI is just a VERY rough guide!!! It doesn't take into account things like muscle, which is denser than fat. 40kg is too light for 150cm. At my lightest I was 32kg and about 140cm tall, which looking back, looks absolutely ghastly!

Fast weight loss is unhealthy. You shouldn't lose more than 1kg per week. As a vegetarian, you'll really have to search for sources of protein to help you feel full. Avoiding eating before bed, and do lots of cardio. Persist even if you can't see changes in the first few weeks. Good luck with it all :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
BMI is just a VERY rough guide!!! It doesn't take into account things like muscle, which is denser than fat.
That is truth. Hence, OP should be aiming to lose -less- weight rather than -more- weight. :)

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC
lol omg so much bad advice in this thread hey

just listen to ahighwayman, reduce your energy intake by like 500 calories, and do 30 mins cardio

how easy is that lol, you will lose 1kg a week if u stick to that

mizzroyalty

HSC
N/A
stay off the junk

and get a gym membership

Best advise so far, everyone else are either PE students or cntrl+ c'ing off wiki or some site.

20 kilo's is a lot of weight, and far more then you should be taking off for two reasons:

1. your body stresses with dramatic weight-loss, and therefore has less time to repair. If you want to lose weight for looking better/ feeling better, then there is no point losing all that weight only for you to have baggy skin, and folding stretch marks.

2. You run the chance of "over-doing" it. For example, for whatever reason, you feel that the weight you have lost isn't making you feel better, so you keep losing more, and more and more... You can see where I am going, you do not want to develop Anorexia (mental disorder) or Bulimia (eating disorder).

Don't take anyones direct advice here, go to a gym, find a Dietitian and listen to them.

Last edited:

totallyconfused

HSC
Thanks everyone, I've just had a read of all the posts, and all the suggestions/advice is awesome!

Today I woke up, drank water first up, ran for 20 mins and had a nice healthy breakfast (although I threw up straight after :( ) I guess eating breakfast will take some time getting used to. But I’m going to slowly try and get into the habit of having small frequent meals, and my last at about 7-8pm. :D

Fore those recommending dietician + gym, for the time being I've decided to try and do it at home, and if I don't make progress, I'll join them. As someone said, the most important factor is having willpower and at the moment I feel like I do :)

As for losing 20kg being too much, I’ve looked up height/weight charts on the net, and they all say between 40-45kg, but I don’t want to go to any extreme. I guess for now I’ll aim at maybe 46-48kg first, and then just work on toning up.

Does anyone know of any good upper body exercises I can do? My legs are still in decent-ish shape, but all the fat is on the upper body (arms, shoulders, neck etc). I guess swimming would be perfect for that, but any other suggestions would be great (again – the swimwear issue - and I'm not a great swimmer :( )

Thanks again :)

crystalpower

HSC
while i lost 6kg of weight because lately i am very full and dont get hungry
my trainer told me that exerice dosnt make u lose wieght it only keeps the fat off.
just eat healthy food and u will lose weight .
right now i weight 58kg height 157:headbang:

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC
you cant target your upper body
you will not lose weight, just lose fat while increasing muscle mass

which i dont think u want

CARDIO OK THAT IS ALL

swimming is cardio
jogging is cardio

etc

Asile92

HSC
hey :)

i lost 20 kg over a longer period of time, but have managed to keep it off- the longer it takes, the longer it stays off!

for me, it was all about eating Low GI foods, foods that make you feel fuller for longer - so you eat less. low GI foods release the sugar from the food slower into your metabolism. its foods like multi grain bread, yoghurts, all that kind of stuff. theres actually lists on the internet you can get which show you what foods are good to eat and stuff. and heaps of great books too!

and in terms of excercise, i used to go for a run like 4 times a week, and played netball...but at the moment, i just use an excercise bike, its great! it was cheap as and theres heaps of work outs on the internet you can use to make you loose weight,

hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)