Need to lose 20kg :( HELP! (1 Viewer)

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Lol if you were referring to me then yes I did sleep in today :( I've been trying to get the courage to get out of bed for the last two hours - but I guess I just have to woMAN up :)

I don't want to build much muscle, but if I consistently do light weights am I likely to lose fat from my arms (something I need to do most)??
Well i wake up at 6 to hit the gym five days a week. Yet, i sleep anywhere from 10pm-2am.

If you consistently do light weights, with a lot of repetitions you will see changes.
Well, no not really? But it can help. There isn't such thing as SPOT-REDUCTION. You'd have to drop your overall bodyfat percentage to see some change in your arms. A combination of cardio and weights can help you get there.
Weights will increase your muscle mass, making your body burn off more calories then you would without the extra muscle mass.

Don't worry you won't get bulky and that. Female bodybuilders take male hormones to get that big.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
-why not drink soy milk, it's got protein and is good for you in general.

To anyone who is a male and looking to bulk up, DO NOT DRINK SOY MILK. I've read alot into it, it not only increases levels of estrogen in men whilst lowering testostrone levels, which are essential in muscle growth and repair.

So don't drink soy milk men! Skim Milk is fine!

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
To anyone who is a male and looking to bulk up, DO NOT DRINK SOY MILK. I've read alot into it, it not only increases levels of estrogen in men whilst lowering testostrone levels, which are essential in muscle growth and repair.

I call BS.

Provide a reputable scientific study that confirms your claims.

bubbly89

HSC
Lol if you were referring to me then yes I did sleep in today :( I've been trying to get the courage to get out of bed for the last two hours - but I guess I just have to woMAN up :)

I don't want to build much muscle, but if I consistently do light weights am I likely to lose fat from my arms (something I need to do most)??
As you are female unless you are on steroids you cannot develop larges muscles. Its good to push yourself and carry heavy things though because the more muscle you have the more energy (fat) you burn when you're not doing anything. However when I refer to "more muscle" this isn't the bulky, its the strong I can carry things muscle.

Someone like Jillian from the biggest loser has A LOT of muscle, but I reckons she still looks hot

You sound like you're doing great though, keep it up :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

I wouldn't go so far as to call that BS, but it would be nice if you could provide us with a source for that, please. :D

Bananaberry

HSC
Do the Kokoda Trail lol, I lost 7kg's in 10 days, and people are known to lose more.

But an easier way, I swear by Jillian Michael's DVD's - 30 Day Shred and No More Trouble Zones, combined with cardio like running or walking.
I do a lot of trecking and find they really help, not just for slimming down, but in my case building muscle and endurance.

Btw - It is impossible to lose 2kgs per week consistently, in a healthy way. If you crash diet you may lose 2kg or more in the first week or 2 but over time you will put the weight back on. You should only look to lose 0.5 to 1kg a week.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC

Source: Men's Health Magazine: December 2009. Study by University of California (2008)

totallyconfused

HSC
Well i wake up at 6 to hit the gym five days a week. Yet, i sleep anywhere from 10pm-2am.

If you consistently do light weights, with a lot of repetitions you will see changes.
Well, no not really? But it can help. There isn't such thing as SPOT-REDUCTION. You'd have to drop your overall bodyfat percentage to see some change in your arms. A combination of cardio and weights can help you get there.
Weights will increase your muscle mass, making your body burn off more calories then you would without the extra muscle mass.

Don't worry you won't get bulky and that. Female bodybuilders take male hormones to get that big.
Wow I really admire your dedication - waking up at 6am to go to gym 5 days a week - amazing! And it's really good to hear that that doing weights won't make me extra muscly or chunky :)

By the way - the rule "you shouldn't eat past 6/7 pm" really sucks! I can't sleep right now because I'm too hungry :( :(

ademayd

HSC
Wow I really admire your dedication - waking up at 6am to go to gym 5 days a week - amazing! And it's really good to hear that that doing weights won't make me extra muscly or chunky :)

By the way - the rule "you shouldn't eat past 6/7 pm" really sucks! I can't sleep right now because I'm too hungry :( :(
the rule is 3 hrs before you sleep (According to OPRAH)

totallyconfused

HSC
Even then, that's pretty difficult (not eating 3hrs before you sleep) :(

But big question - should I go eat now or just try to sleep?

missknightley

HSC
I didnt need to lose weight these summer holidays but I wanted to get toned, and de-stress ( but in all honesty i have to exercise for health reasons so that's what motivated me). But i think the main key to losing weight for most people is motivation, if you already have that then that's good!

For 6 weeks to lose weight, i think its acheivable. BUT you have to be committed, I mean increase the intensity of your exercise each time such as, maybe start off with 15mins running on the treadmill then increase it to 20min etc.. the key is doing it DAILY!!! And btw, you have to SWEAT!!! to take out all the toxins from your body, plus exercising apparently improves your immune system.

ON TOP OF that treadmill, which is only (cardio workout) you need to do stretches u can find hundreds of them in magazines maybe do about at least 15min ....i do yoga about three times a week, at home half an hour session.

mind you you can do anythign else besides running on treadmill to sweat it out..i personally like running... and yes i understand it is horrible the first time you try to run!!! I could barely make a few a few metres.. i tried and you get bile stuck in your throat etc... but if you keep at it it works. trust me. i can jog/run 3km now. mind you it took me A LOT more than 6 weeks..... MANy months.

You seem to eat healthly. I dont snack either as well... I just have a big breakfast, medium-sized lunch and medium-sized dinner.... I stay away from starchy foods and try to minimize on the carbs.

Sorry about the rant...
hope that helps...

Goodluck.

missknightley

HSC
forgot to add, DONT STARVE yourself it doesnt work, unless you plan to b tired ALL the time and prefer to look stick-thin. It's unhealthy.

dux&src

HSC

Yeah, like i went to bed late this morning haha after the tennis. :(

Yeah, you won't get chunky :)

Omgggg, you really aren't gonna eat past 6/7pm? That was like 7 hours without food for you las tnight. That's not the rule at all.

You should eat something light enough to cease your hunger.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Even then, that's pretty difficult (not eating 3hrs before you sleep) :(

But big question - should I go eat now or just try to sleep?
The idea is that you don't eat a big meal right before bed because you're not giving your body an opportunity to use the energy and you will also disturb your quality of sleep while your body is digesting it. At least I think that's the reasoning.

If you are hungry between dinner and bed, have a cup of tea or something or eat dinner slightly later...but I wouldn't eat a substantial amount close to bedtime personally. It's just uncomfortable trying to sleep on a full stomach IMO.

This is why you have to eat breakfast as well as realistically you have gone at least 8 hours without food between dinner and the next morning. You have to "break" the "fast".

Ben1220

HSC
The Hacker's Diet

Best weight loss guide I have ever seen. Just read the first few pages if you aren't convinced.

And its totally free, so you know it must be good :p

totallyconfused

HSC
For 6 weeks to lose weight, i think its acheivable. BUT you have to be committed, I mean increase the intensity of your exercise each time such as, maybe start off with 15mins running on the treadmill then increase it to 20min etc.. the key is doing it DAILY!!! And btw, you have to SWEAT!!! to take out all the toxins from your body, plus exercising apparently improves your immune system.

ON TOP OF that treadmill, which is only (cardio workout) you need to do stretches u can find hundreds of them in magazines maybe do about at least 15min ....i do yoga about three times a week, at home half an hour session.
Good advice on the exercise :) What do you think about yoga? I've never tried it personally but i've heard it's very good for you. Does it help in weight loss, or mostly just for toning up/improving flexibility?

Omgggg, you really aren't gonna eat past 6/7pm? That was like 7 hours without food for you las tnight. That's not the rule at all.

You should eat something light enough to cease your hunger.
Yeah I think I may have overdone it a bit last night - must've gone about 15+ hours without eating (including 8 hrs sleep) - not doing that again.

On the bright side, I checked my weight in the morning and it was 60.5 WTF! :shy:

But I think most of that isn't loss of fat, just loss of water :(

Nonetheless it made me happy ;)

dux&src

HSC
Good advice on the exercise :) What do you think about yoga? I've never tried it personally but i've heard it's very good for you. Does it help in weight loss, or mostly just for toning up/improving flexibility?

Yeah I think I may have overdone it a bit last night - must've gone about 15+ hours without eating (including 8 hrs sleep) - not doing that again.

On the bright side, I checked my weight in the morning and it was 60.5 WTF! :shy:

But I think most of that isn't loss of fat, just loss of water :(

Nonetheless it made me happy ;)
yeah, lol. I am always lighter in the morning than later in the day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)