New Astra Turbo (1 Viewer)

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
I am no car expert, but I plan to do some work on a car in the next 12 months, whether it is the one i got now (Holden TR Astra, 96) or a newer Astra, perhaps I will buy my mums 2002 CD Astra, but yeh I think Astras are hot, drive well, and pack a bit of punch. (When I'm older I will get a Commodore) I dont think it is considered by any means as a performance beast, but I still rate them.

Anyways I came across this article, about a new Astra Turbo, and it looks the GOODS! Has anyone got more information on it? Or perhaps wants to tell me why it is shit? lol.

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=9394&vf=1

Cheers, Meads

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
too much power in a FWD car with 240bhp
steering is crap when you're trying to go fast into corners (understeers and oversteers too much)
Oh and when the turbo kicks in, you get too much torque steering (the steering turns itself coz the engine is turning with too much power).

basically, for the price you gotta pay for a car like that... look elsewhere

Last edited:

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
astras are pretty average built, especially interior - u should get a golf or a mazda 3 sp23

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
i'd so buy a cooper S :eek:

though, im slightly biased:p

ioniser

HSC
braad said:
i'd so buy a cooper S :eek:

though, im slightly biased:p

if your going for that mind as well go for the suziki swift which looks similar

oh and the astras are shit they always have been ,there known to have pretty shit build quaility which dun last long

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
ioniser said:
if your going for that mind as well go for the suziki swift which looks similar

oh and the astras are shit they always have been ,there known to have pretty shit build quaility which dun last long
true that

saw a swift (done up as a mini :s) looked pretty good, black roof, red body, white 17s, lowered a bit, dark tint, nice exhaust, subtle bodykit...was nice

transcendent

HSC
N/A
whoever did the design to the current Astra must have been blind. same goes for the current Golf.

SlipStream

HSC
The last Astra turbo was supposed to be a hoot - won its category in MOTOR's BFYB, I think it may have even won the event. So the next one should be pretty good as well.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The former Astra turbo has been consistently winning bang for bucks competitions for years now.

The only problem being the aforementioned cheap interior and inherent problems of high power FWDs. Though to be fair I think the FWD problems are being exaggerated.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
The brand new golf and polo styles are hideous. Same goes with the new model astra.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
addymac said:
The former Astra turbo has been consistently winning bang for bucks competitions for years now.

The only problem being the aforementioned cheap interior and inherent problems of high power FWDs. Though to be fair I think the FWD problems are being exaggerated.
yep, you can break traction in majority of FWD cars...but thats only because you're not driving them right....

RWD cars will always be able to get off the line better, but if you know how to drive your car, you shouldnt have to worry about FWD problems too much. Generally, FWD cars are buzzboxes that can handle better than most RWD cars ;) so there's usually a benefit somewhere (corners:p)

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
European holden, aka opel = CRAP. There such terrible cars, i don't know how any one would buy one by choice.

I'd be looking for something jap, a nice toyota, mr2 perhaps, or a honda of some description, great cars, with quality build. If you can look past the stigma of your typical, japanese bullshit cheap cars that break, you'll be surprised at how nice and reliable they are.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
DaddyK said:
European holden, aka opel = CRAP. There such terrible cars, i don't know how any one would buy one by choice.

I'd be looking for something jap, a nice toyota, mr2 perhaps, or a honda of some description, great cars, with quality build. If you can look past the stigma of your typical, japanese bullshit cheap cars that break, you'll be surprised at how nice and reliable they are.
look past the stigma of japanese bullshit thats cheap?

yet you straight away assosciate opel with crap

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
DaddyK said:
....thats because it is. I know several people who have bought astra's and every single one of them died, BRAND new cars with severe problems every week.
hmm fair enough

i know the old vectra had problems after a certain amount of kays

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Interesting...like I find the interior of an Astra pretty ok, well the ones I have seen anyway. We have had no issues with my mums Astra, and it is 2001, so it has done 4 solid years so far. But the issue of it being too powerful for a FWD is a bit concerning, I would not know as my Astra is only 1.6L at the moment.

I dont like the Japanese style of car, dont really know why, just not my style. So i suppose it really comes down to personal taste. However I like the Golfs, and the Mazda's.

I actually want a VY Commodore Ute (dream car) but with petrol prices and only being 18, i figured i need to wait a bit longer and perhaps fiddle around with a 4 cylinder first. I am basically a 'skip' as well, so I would not like my car to be too 'woggy'. Excuse the racism. :p

transcendent

HSC
N/A
just get a basic Mazda 3 then. the previous model Golf looks WAY better then the current model Golf, same goes to the Astra ( Astra Classic )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)