• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

New car decisions (1 Viewer)

Mr Will

HSC
seremify007 said:
They don't sell twin turbo models on the current Liberty range anymore do they? Regardless of that, the Liberty can go bloody fast (seen it with my own eyes).

the liberty GT is single turbo, and sold in the current range. theres nothing much to get excited about in terms of the B4's twin turbos - the older single turbo RS was faster, the B4 wasnt very efficient at all

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the input guys, seems that it may be wiser to get a smaller car, but dunno yet. (yeah maybe I should just save all my money for a first home deposit lol)

nwatts

HSC
Just like, a personal non-professional input: I have a Liberty and it is just fantastic. I don't like the fuel-consumption, but apart from that, it's an excellent car. I've heard with these newer models that the fuel is far better, so it gets my vote. :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Minai said:
Thanks for the input guys, seems that it may be wiser to get a smaller car, but dunno yet. (yeah maybe I should just save all my money for a first home deposit lol)
Well if you need it for work, you can claim it as a tax deduction can't you and EY should be paying you for your mileage? Only thing which makes me wonder is if you're going to be in and out of the city alot, will you have anywhere to park (ie. does EY provide parking for grads?), and do you really want a big car to drive around?

... or were you looking at just having the car for recreational use (ie. non-work)?

I'm personally loving my Civic at the moment- wouldn't be surprised if it ends up becoming COTY :) I mean.. if Renault's Megane can get it, don't see why this Civic can't!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I'll be using it for work and everything else too.

Client's are not really in the city (for the division im working in) so parking isn't an issue.

Yeah I might have a look at the class of cars with the Civic, Mazda3, C4 etc

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Minai said:
mmhmm dont forget about rising fuel costs!

and the Liberty is AWD.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If it helps, I read in the paper that Mazda3s now have quite a bit of supply and you can negotiate prices a bit more ($3k off sp23s)- I remember a few months ago I went to check it out and the demand > supply so much so that they weren't willing to move much on price.

Qlimax

HSC
I'd say get 2nd hand, good condition 2nd hand car, you'd end up saving alot on costs right there. also make sure that you check previous service log book, and also see if it's still under warantee.

The new 2006 civic model is quite decent, and you do get your value there.. resale value on civics have been holding strong..
1998 model civic can resell for roughly 13-14 k and that's 8 years old!!..

Petrol consumption on it is good too.. and it delivers more power than the corolla 1.8 L

Mazda 3 isn't too bad for the SP23, new would settle you around 34k incl on road costs, 2nd hand roughly around 28k. for mid K's (say around 50 000)

bear in mind that the new mazda's only did come out recently, and i am still unsure of how they handle throughout the years.

Honda's are made to last, you have my word there... Petrol on Euro isn't too bad..
roughly around 10L/100km's - average medium sized car and it does have some decent features.
sturdy body, and very smooth to drive with..
but you must fill up 98 octane premium.. so yeah.. increase there in price.

not sure about liberty.. but i would assume so too..

out of all my options, I would choose the new civic.. it's a good sturdy car..
good to travel A - B with, and it's petrol conservative.. adequate power.. no hassle with fuel.. relatively cheap to buy new and holds a good value even after a good few years!

would settle you around 26 - 27 brand new for mid range model? incl on rd cost? not too sure on this.. but yeah..
i like that car..

Qlimax

HSC
CieL said:
I have the Accord Euro.
It's a sturdy car.

Some curry driving a 20yr old camry without ABS slammed into my rear and pushed me into the Echo in front. Engine bay of camry got pushed back (and wouldnt start later) whilst my bumper only got slightly ripped revealing steel bars underneath. My bonnet area that hit the Echo made a huge dent in their rear bumper but my bonnet came out unscathed.

Strong, huh?
Your accord bumper is made of very soft plastic, as most of the new honda's do now. they are so soft that you can push your knee into it and it would just pop back out..

also.. you hit into a echo.. small lil flimsy cars... cheap to make.. cheap to run, but it's not really good quality there.

i am quite positive even if you get a medium sized car such as the new camry to hit that echo, the same thing would happen..

a mate of mine reversed his monaro into a pole..
yes it left a dent (very ouch), but on the following day.. when it was hot.. the dent popped back out and just left a small crease mark...

Ciel, although you did hit a car.. and your front bumper does seem to be fine.. make sure you check that you didn't damage the structure of your car. (if it's bent or anything)

Because your bumper is quite soft.. it shouldn't of made such a big damage to the echo, i'm quite sure that the metal bar created the dent on that echo.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The soft plastic (with a high 'memory') likely absorbed alot of the impact (that and the echo) still a good idea to check underneath the car and see if any of the bumper support braces are buckled.

CieL

HSC
Qlimax said:
Mazda 3 isn't too bad for the SP23, new would settle you around 34k incl on road costs, 2nd hand roughly around 28k. for mid K's (say around 50 000)
Bad thing I found about the SP23 is that it's cramped as. I went looking at one last year and when I got in I hit my knee twice, then when I got out I bumped my head.. and I'm only 5'7.. ahahha and my dad's head was rubbing against the top of the cabin.. = crap. Also, the interior isnt that great.. seems like the few inches they used for the design of the speedo could of given me more room instead =S

Qlimax said:
Petrol on Euro isn't too bad..
but you must fill up 98 octane premium.. so yeah.. increase there in price.
Nah you can fill up on 95 (4c/L cheaper than 98ron @ Caltex hahaha)
But I'd recommend 98 anyway... even though it's 11c/L on top... but I think Mobil is 7c/L on top.. oh, and there's this new 100ron fuel out now.

Qlimax said:
would settle you around 26 - 27 brand new for mid range model? incl on rd cost? not too sure on this.. but yeah..
i like that car..
Didn't seremify just buy that and he paid just under 30k?

Qlimax said:
Ciel, although you did hit a car.. and your front bumper does seem to be fine.. make sure you check that you didn't damage the structure of your car. (if it's bent or anything)

Because your bumper is quite soft.. it shouldn't of made such a big damage to the echo, i'm quite sure that the metal bar created the dent on that echo.
No.. nothing visible that I can see at the front.. I'm not sure about UNDER the bumper, but the whole front end seemed fine.. not even paint came off..

And I think it was my number plate that created the dent on the echo =S

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Qlimax said:
I'd say get 2nd hand, good condition 2nd hand car, you'd end up saving alot on costs right there. also make sure that you check previous service log book, and also see if it's still under warantee.
I'm thinking Minai might have certain 'plans' for how he is financing his new car and hence is going for a new car.

Qlimax said:
I think it's a bit less than that (for new ones)- whilst we couldn't negotiate much off the SP23 back when it was in high demand, we did get a new one down to $31-32k automatic onroad at the Eurocars Mazda. The $34k one would be the Luxury (Bose) model I'd imagine? Bear in mind, this was at the end of year sales that I was looking at the prices and prices may have risen since they will now be 06 Compliance plates.

Qlimax said:
out of all my options, I would choose the new civic.. it's a good sturdy car..
good to travel A - B with, and it's petrol conservative.. adequate power.. no hassle with fuel.. relatively cheap to buy new and holds a good value even after a good few years!

i like that car..
I'm really enjoying it. My model (VTi-L) was $29,500 onroad for the auto (I added spoiler for $500) with no discount. If you don't want the side airbags, alloys, or 6 cd stacker, you can save a few K there too.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Minai said:
Well I'll be using it for work and everything else too.

Client's are not really in the city (for the division im working in) so parking isn't an issue.

Yeah I might have a look at the class of cars with the Civic, Mazda3, C4 etc
C4 is by all reports a dud (Pug 307 with pretty sheet metal).

erawamai votes for mazda 3, golf (if you can strech for one) or a deposit for a house.

- L1n -

HSC
Get a Mazda 3 SP23, reason is cos i got 1 so i need to show bias. lol

It's not bad to tell u the truth, the space is good, and it's not too big like the mazda 6, performance wise 115kw ain't bad for a non sports car. only issue i have with it is, "where can i buy a sp23 rear end badge", this sucks how can u have a sp23 with no sp23 on the rear.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
I am sure that a Mazda dealer would be happy to oblige. With a respectable price of an arm and a leg.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
- L1n - said:

It's not bad to tell u the truth, the space is good, and it's not too big like the mazda 6, performance wise 115kw ain't bad for a non sports car. only issue i have with it is, "where can i buy a sp23 rear end badge", this sucks how can u have a sp23 with no sp23 on the rear.
I think it's meant to be a wolf in sheep's clothing :p

SP23 is a pretty decent car- but it wasn't really suited to me, and back when I wanted it, it wasn't cheap.

CieL

HSC
- L1n - said:

Rip the side badge out and stick it on the rear.. or better yet, rip someone else's badge off

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
or better yet, rip someone else's badge off
I like the way you think, Ciel. It is a Mazda, afterall. However the schmucks who nick the front Mercedes-Benz emblem deserve to be shot. Repeatedly.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
- L1n - said:

eBay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)