New Tim Riley Eco Textbook? (1 Viewer)

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
When does the 2014 Tim Riley Eco textbook come out (if it even will)? I heard it is good to use in conjunction with Tim Dixon's text. While I am here, I may as well ask what textbooks are appropriate to get a band 6 (obviously a textbook cannot 'get' you a band 6, but it can definitely help).

Thanks.

nfury2013

HSC
In my opinion, Tim Riley is a good textbook but it has a lot of bs that is unnecessary. But, nevertheless it has updated stats, and uses a lot of diagrams to illustrate theories - so Tim Riley would be my pick, but you just have to be wary because Riley has a tendency drag on .

Also, in order to achieve a Band 6 in Eco, I think you need to be aware of past & current events as that is what the markers look for in the HSC. For example, if you got a short answer on globalisation's effect on financial flows (worth 5 marks), to maximize your chance of getting those marks you would have examples which would illustrate your argument i.e. positive effect = greater FDI flows can be used to finance domestic investment (China), and negative effect = speculator behaviour can create sig. volatility (East Asian Financial Crisis in 1997 and in Argentina in 2002)

So, basically what I am saying is to use Riley's and Dixon's textbook to clear concepts, and then keep yourself updated on past & recent events, and you will be well on your way to a Band 6.

:)

dim-sims

HSC
Thank you very much you two! So this means I have to wait until next year to get a 2014 Tim Riley textbook? :S
The 2014 edition has already come out (it's a blue cover). I'm pretty sure the new edition is usually out in term 4 for y11 people transitioning into y12 because I got my copy at this start of this term/year 12.

Here's a link for it if you need it:
http://www.abbeys.com.au/book/year-12-economics-package-2014.do

The Dixon's 2014 edition is out too by the way. I bought that too because I heard it's good to use them in conjunction aswell but I usually just end up using Riley's because it's the one we use in class.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Thank you very much you two! So this means I have to wait until next year to get a 2014 Tim Riley textbook? :S
No its already out as dim-sims said. This goes for most humanities textbooks that need updating every year.

For subjects like Maths and Science, new textbooks come out at random times once published.

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
THANK YOU SO MUCH HOLY CRAP I WAS SEARCHING SO LONG FOR IT. It's going to be my Christmas present (no hate, I like Economics). I have also heard Bulmer (is that how it's spelled?) is very beneficial to keep up-to-date with Eco statistics/events, but idk where to find it. Is it worth the money or should I just search for stats, etc. myself? If so, where should I search for them?

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Read newspapers, smh economist ubs leading edge
ROSS GITTINS!!!!

nfury2013

HSC
ROSS GITTINS!!!!
^ Practically what I did.

I have also heard Bulmer (is that how it's spelled?) is very beneficial to keep up-to-date with Eco statistics/events, but idk where to find it. Is it worth the money or should I just search for stats, etc. myself? If so, where should I search for them?
I think Bulmer is defs good to invest in, and is known as the hardest textbook out for Year 12 Eco . I used Bulmer, Riley and Dixon when making my notes :)

williamdaft

HSC
bulmer part a/b/c, riley, leading edge, teachers notes, read economics news, make own notes based on all of this.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
ROSS GITTINS!!!!
You don't need to get the latest textbook, that's a waste of money, get the year before save yourself money and then invest all that saved money into buying the paper (or reading online for free if you don't mind) It's way more important and it keeps you consistently up to date.

kiwi703

HSC
N/A
You don't need to get the latest textbook, that's a waste of money, get the year before save yourself money and then invest all that saved money into buying the paper (or reading online for free if you don't mind) It's way more important and it keeps you consistently up to date.
Agree 100%. Theory in economics basically doesn't change, all you're paying for is the updated statistics and trends - which is stupid because by the time of your trials and HSC in 2014 they will be out of date already!

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
I purchased myself a 2012 Tim Riley Economics book for Preliminary because the school had a 2010/2011 (I don't remember which one) and I thought I'd be disadvantaged with an older copy, after comparing the two I facepalmed at the fact that they books are identical in terms of theory, the only difference is that they include any recent political events which affect the economy or adding an extra column to the table with newer stats. Just read the paper and you'll be fine with an older book. :)

BiasedBuffalo

HSC
Personally I like the economist for up to date info and it actually tends to have quite a lot of relevant info.

The Riley is indeed out and I got a copy from Five Senses online, or you can buy it directly from Riley on his site. So much better than Dixon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)