nexttttt (2 Viewers)

HSC
2S1D3 said:
Lets see if i can remember it :)
-Human larynx is a holloow structure with the vocal chords stretched across the tube.
-It consists of nine cartilages, membranes, ligaments and a mucous lining.
-When air passes over the diaphragm, the vocal chords increase in tension to increase the pitch of the loudness.
feel free to add whatever you want, just got that from my notes
It might also be good to add the vibrations of the vocals cords as air passes over them are only slight and need amplification. The nasal passageways, palate (check spelling), mouth ect amplify these tiny vibrations.

B

bekmay

New Question!

Q. Outline the of ADH in regulating water balance.

hope it hasn't been asked yet...

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
for sam
STAT test is much easier than UMAT, thats what people say.
i didnt attempt to UMAT cause i didnt need to...but STAT is more general knowledge, and problem solving

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
bekmay said:
New Question!

Q. Outline the of ADH in regulating water balance.

hope it hasn't been asked yet...
It has... But ill do it anyway.

ADH regulates water balance, by increasing the permeability of trhe collecting ducts of the nephrons in the kidneys. When blood water concentration decreases, this is detected by osmoreceptors, which stimulate the posteriour lobe of the pituitary gland to release ADH, increasing reabsorption of water in the collecting ducts to increase blood water concentration. When blood water concentration increases, osmoreceptors detect this, and stimulate the posterior lobe of the pitutary gland to release less ADH, decreasing reabsorption.

Compare the process of renal dialysis with the function of the kidney

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
ADH is released by pituitary gland, regulated by Hypothalamus. ADH = antidiuretic hormone. It helps conserve water in the body. --> more ADH, lower urine volume.

Stimuli for less ADH: large blood volume, high intake of fluid, low blood Na+ level and of course, alcohol

More ADH: small blood V, low intake of fluid, high [Na+], nicotine and morphine!

PS: I've got a question from 2004. Q18 asks about what might happen to two populations of a plant species in the next 5 mil years. One is in a small area in Gilbraltar Range and one is in the area immediately around Sydney (quite large). Am I writing about global warming and stuff that affect their abundance and distribution or about divergent evolution?

Last edited:

pbillabong

HSC
hey not sure if we need to know this but in polypeptide synthesis the anti codon is the tRNA isn't?

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
pbillabong said:
hey not sure if we need to know this but in polypeptide synthesis the anti codon is the tRNA isn't?
The anticodon is part of the tRNA. It is just 3 unpaired bases

dolbinau

HSC
Compare the process of renal dialysis with the function of the kidney
Both function to remove waste products from blood. Within the Kidney nephrons actively reabsorb useful products e.g Vitamins, Salt. Water is reabsorbed passively. Final filtrate is extracted from body. With Dialysis, however this is all done passively through a semi permeable membrane (the addition of Vitamins, Salts from dialysis fluid of similar concentration to blood instead of reabsorbtion and extraction of nitrogenous wastes is all achieved by diffusion). Kidneys function constantly and are efficient, Dialysis is performed selectively and is much less efficient.

Last edited:

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Assess some of the opposition to acceptance of evolutionary theory.

Thanks.

PS: Add st more than Creationism, please.

B

bekmay

YO dolbinau, did you figure out that question in the end? sorry i wasn't much help LOL.

danz90

HSC
dolbinau said:
Pharmacy @ uSYD is my second preference and I still need to take the STAT test too, so if anyone has taken it would be interested to know what you thought ;).
STAT is quite easy and straightforward.... apparently much eaiser than UMAT.
Hope to see you in BPharm @ USYd next year as well :)

Its 35 qualitative-based and 35 quantitative-based questions (in other words half maths, half english). the english ones are really stupid and subjective sometimes. all the answers are so darn vague and any could be correct. the maths ones are much better. i ended up achieving a higher mark in the maths section than english section.

Info from Faculty of Pharmacy @ USyd is that the 2009 stat cut-off for BPharm will be 150/200. :)

pbillabong

HSC
hey
does anyone know what releases chemokines?

and a question from past paper was something like this
Q What is the role of the nervous system in maintaining homeostasis, using an example.

If you were going to use heat as an example, is the hypothalamus the receptor and control centre?

Last edited:

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
HEY i have answered this question but i would like a range of answers to see how others would answer it

ITS THE BANANA QUESTION IN THE 2002 PAPER Q 24
Traditionally banana plants in australia have been propagated asexually by cutting out and planting suckers from the adult plant. There is a growing trend to produce disease-free plants in laboratories through a process of cloning from disease-free tissues from exisiting plants. ASSESS THE POTENTIAL IMPACT OF THIS CLONING PROCESS ON THE GENETIC DIVERSITY OF BANANA PLANTS IN AUS.

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
pbillabong said:
hey

quote]

Helper T cells release chemokines to Plasma B cells to stimulate the production of antibodies

pbillabong

HSC
imqt said:
pbillabong said:
hey

quote]

Helper T cells release chemokines to Plasma B cells to stimulate the production of antibodies
hey, thanx. so do you mean the helper t cells release the chemokines to activate the plasma b cells? :)

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
pbillabong said:
imqt said:
hey, thanx. so do you mean the helper t cells release the chemokines to activate the plasma b cells? :)

yep...they send a chemical message to B cells to differentiate into Plasma B cells and Helper B cells

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
pbillabong said:
hey

and a question from past paper was something like this
Q What is the role of the nervous system in maintaining homeostasis, using an example.

If you were going to use heat as an example, is the hypothalamus the receptor and control centre?

Heat, you mean increasing temperature?
i would say that thermoreceptors detect the increase in body temperature. The PNS carries this informations to the CNS (Control centre; i doubt you need to be anymore specific) which receives, interprets and initiates a response.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)