• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

nexttttt (1 Viewer)

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
anyone wanna answer my banana question? lol

pbillabong

HSC
imqt said:
Heat, you mean increasing temperature?
i would say that thermoreceptors detect the increase in body temperature. The PNS carries this informations to the CNS (Control centre; i doubt you need to be anymore specific) which receives, interprets and initiates a response.
yeh sorry i mean temperature change, should explain better lol. ok thanx for that, is PNS primary nervous system and CNS central?

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
pbillabong said:
yeh sorry i mean temperature, should explain better lol. ok thanx for that, is PNS primary nervous system and CNS central?

no PNS is peripheral nervous system; its the communication channel
and yeh CNS is central nervous system and this includes the brain and spinal cord.
let me know if you need anything clarified

Last edited:

pbillabong

HSC
imqt said:
no PNS is peripheral nervous system; its the communication channel
and yeh CNS is central nervous system and this includes the brain and spinal cord.
let me know if you need anything clarified
ahk thanx so is PNS like the network of nerve cells leading/attatching onto spinal cord? soz not so good with the nervous system lol

danz90

HSC
imqt said:
HEY i have answered this question but i would like a range of answers to see how others would answer it

ITS THE BANANA QUESTION IN THE 2002 PAPER Q 24
Traditionally banana plants in australia have been propagated asexually by cutting out and planting suckers from the adult plant. There is a growing trend to produce disease-free plants in laboratories through a process of cloning from disease-free tissues from exisiting plants. ASSESS THE POTENTIAL IMPACT OF THIS CLONING PROCESS ON THE GENETIC DIVERSITY OF BANANA PLANTS IN AUS.
Cloning produces genetically identical individuals, by using the same set of genetic material in nucleating other ennucleated cells. Hence, by using cloning to produce disease-free banana plants in the lab, greatly reduces genetic diversity of banana plants, since all plants would be of identical genotype. As a result, any pathogen or plant that successfully attacks any ONE of the cloned banana plants, can also easily spread to the other plants, since they would also be susceptible. As a result, if cloning processes are adopted for banana plantations, there is a great risk of an extinction of that species due to infection by a particular pathogen or pest. This would lead to great economic losses and disastrous ramifications for biodiversity. Hence, it is evident that the cloning process has a greatly adverse impact on the genetic diversity of banana plants in Australia, with the potential for the entire cloned-species to be wiped out if infected or infested.

dolbinau

HSC
EY i have answered this question but i would like a range of answers to see how others would answer it

Traditionally banana plants in australia have been propagated asexually by cutting out and planting suckers from the adult plant. There is a growing trend to produce disease-free plants in laboratories through a process of cloning from disease-free tissues from exisiting plants. ASSESS THE POTENTIAL IMPACT OF THIS CLONING PROCESS ON THE GENETIC DIVERSITY OF BANANA PLANTS IN AUS.
hehe, I almost fell for this trick. I don't want to write an answer but basically they'd be no impact on the genetic diversity of the banana plants as propagation = cloning. And it has appeared Danz has fallen for it too :p.

Info from Faculty of Pharmacy @ USyd is that the 2009 stat cut-off for BPharm will be 150/200.
Is that a raw mark? I heard it's between 100 and 200. But 150 is only like 50% then.

YO dolbinau, did you figure out that question in the end? sorry i wasn't much help LOL.
Kind of. You did help, I just hope I can apply the knowledge if/when it comes up :p.

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
pbillabong said:
ahk thanx so is PNS like the network of nerve cells leading/attatching onto spinal cord? soz not so good with the nervous system lol

Yh, the PNS is a system of branching nerves that connects receptors and effectors (eg. muscles, pores) It just transmits info. from the CNS and back. Thats all you need to know. I doubt there would be a great deal of this in the exam

pbillabong

HSC
imqt said:
Yh, the PNS is a system of branching nerves that connects receptors and effectors (eg. muscles, pores) It just transmits info. from the CNS and back. Thats all you need to know. I doubt there would be a great deal of this in the exam
ok thanx for that :)

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
danz90 said:
Cloning produces genetically identical individuals, by using the same set of genetic material in nucleating other ennucleated cells. Hence, by using cloning to produce disease-free banana plants in the lab, greatly reduces genetic diversity of banana plants, since all plants would be of identical genotype. As a result, any pathogen or plant that successfully attacks any ONE of the cloned banana plants, can also easily spread to the other plants, since they would also be susceptible. As a result, if cloning processes are adopted for banana plantations, there is a great risk of an extinction of that species due to infection by a particular pathogen or pest. This would lead to great economic losses and disastrous ramifications for biodiversity. Hence, it is evident that the cloning process has a greatly adverse impact on the genetic diversity of banana plants in Australia, with the potential for the entire cloned-species to be wiped out if infected or infested.

i initially thought that....but they are asexual reproducers with no genetic diverisity....i just dont know how you could write an answer. 4 marks worth with 12 lines.... your answer would be considered incorrect

dolbinau

HSC
Question: Haemoglobin; does it increase oxygen carrying capacity by 200 or 100 times (compared to equivilant volume of dissolved oxygen). I have conflicting info.

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
dolbinau said:
hehe, I almost fell for this trick. I don't want to write an answer but basically they'd be no impact on the genetic diversity of the banana plants as propagation = cloning. And it has appeared Danz has fallen for it too :p.
how could you write 12 lines worth on this? thats what i am having problems with

hoochiscrazy

HSC
imqt said:
HEY i have answered this question but i would like a range of answers to see how others would answer it

Producing banana trees by asexually reproduction produces offspring with the same genetic material as the parent. This can be beneficial as all plants will have identical requirements grow in similar ways to produce similar yields at the same time. As well as this the plants that have desirable characteristic can be reproduced making that characteristic dominant within the population. However this can make the identical offspring susceptible to the same diseases as the genetic variation has been reduce. Also makes them susceptible to any other environmental changes.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
imqt said:
pbillabong said:
yep...they send a chemical message to B cells to differentiate into Plasma B cells and Helper B cells
Isn't that interleukin, or do interleukins fall under chemokines/cytokines?

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
hoochiscrazy said:
Producing banana trees by asexually reproduction produces offspring with the same genetic material as the parent. This can be beneficial as all plants will have identical requirements grow in similar ways to produce similar yields at the same time. As well as this the plants that have desirable characteristic can be reproduced making that characteristic dominant within the population. However this can make the identical offspring susceptible to the same diseases as the genetic variation has been reduce. Also makes them susceptible to any other environmental changes.

ok thanks, i didnt include benefits in my answer

Kujah

HSC
N/A
imqt said:
Kujah said:
interleukines are a type of cytokine...thats just getting more specific.
So can we interchange cytokines and chemokines for each other? i.e. are they the same thing?

hoochiscrazy

HSC
imqt said:
ok thanks, i didnt include benefits in my answer
Depends on how much its worth i guess because it does say talk about the impact on the genetic diversity so you might not have to include that info.

pbillabong

HSC
Kujah said:
imqt said:
So can we interchange cytokines and chemokines for each other? i.e. are they the same thing?
so is cytokines the general name covering both interleukines and chemokines, or do they all have a seperate role?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)