nexttttt (1 Viewer)

dolbinau

HSC
pooja_107 said:
Yeah even i think sooo
It can be confirmed in part b) when they say any ectotherm can reflect curve II. Just a typo, perhaps.

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
guys has anyone doe 2006 HSC PAPER Q22 c)
Discuss ONE ethical issue arising from the use of transgenic species?

if so what ethical issue could you discuss for a 4 marker?

Last edited:

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Transgenic species:
- Interference of human into natural evolution by altering the genomes of these animals to benefit human's demands is considered, by many, as unethical.
From an animal's right activist point of view, all those tests on mice, pigs and sheeps are cruel because the scientists are playing with their lives while complications and death are likely. This interference can give the animals a survival advantage over the wild ones and they become dominant, push the others to disappearance due to not enough food, competition of habitats and even as predators. If mating, as said, new kind of animal can emerge; in case of bacteria, they evolve rapidly to pose myriad problems or for some plants, when they escape to the wild, weeds become resistant to herbicide and thrive.

lil-monkey

HSC
imqt said:
guys has anyone doe 2006 HSC PAPER Q22 c)
Discuss ONE ethical issue arising from the use of transgenic species?

if so what ethical issue could you discuss for a 4 marker?

u could discuss:
the loss of diversity
genes from engineered species entering the wild
long term loss of gentic diversity
fear of release of harmful agents, long-term effects unknown
ownership of species by companies

(OH GOD this one reminded me of The Truman Show- English, will never forget that stuff will I ='[

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
'Define the term 'threshold' and explain why not all stimuli generate an action potential' [from communication option topic]
my class didnt do alot on it, but i researched some info. what do you guys know about it?

frogbutt

Ugliest Member
HSC
boony3 said:
I still havent looked at Blueprint of life and communication....my two worst topics :S
uh ohhhh anyways questionn

A standard NSW vaccination schedule for diptheria/pertussis/tetanus (DPT) is shown:

4 months
6 months
18 months
4 years

Propose reasons for the frequent vaccination between 2months and 4years.
babies have weak immunity. you make the primary immune response happen, then reinforce immunological 'memory' for the kid's immune system by frequent vaccinations at this time.

(well that's what these answers say)

lil-monkey

HSC
anyone doing Communication??? its my worst topic.

and can someone tell me (simply) the differences between T cells and B cells.
im :confused:

lil-monkey

HSC
gloworm14 said:
'Define the term 'threshold' and explain why not all stimuli generate an action potential' [from communication option topic]
my class didnt do alot on it, but i researched some info. what do you guys know about it?
is it-
the threshold is the point of excitement that causes the neurone to 'fire' - creating a reaction.
not all stimuli geneate an action potential because when a neuron 'fires' it is a all or nothing response that is to say the reaction must occur at its maximum or it does not fire at all.

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
pbillabong said:
i am not sure what technologies to do and how many?
Well i am using
CLONING- this can be used for organ transplants, stem cell research and reintroduction of extinct organisnms. Food can be made to grow disease-free, increasing yeild and quality and thus furthering life expectancy. All these methods increase human populations
CONTRACEPTIVES: these are used as a means of birth control. These are very important in poorer countries, whereby the pressure to feed enormous numbers can be reduced. This improves quality of life, and in the long-run increase human health and control over the environment
RECOMBINANT DNA: Joining DNA from different organisms can produce better crops for less money and reduce environmental effects such as herbicides an pesticides. This leads to increased food supply and decreases susceptibility to disease. It can also be used to alter/delete genes particularly in the embryo stage. This improves human health and decreases chance of abnormalties. This reduces mortality rates.

3's a good number

Last edited:

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
Undermyskin said:
Transgenic species:
- Interference of human into natural evolution by altering the genomes of these animals to benefit human's demands is considered, by many, as unethical.
From an animal's right activist point of view, all those tests on mice, pigs and sheeps are cruel because the scientists are playing with their lives while complications and death are likely. This interference can give the animals a survival advantage over the wild ones and they become dominant, push the others to disappearance due to not enough food, competition of habitats and even as predators. If mating, as said, new kind of animal can emerge; in case of bacteria, they evolve rapidly to pose myriad problems or for some plants, when they escape to the wild, weeds become resistant to herbicide and thrive.

thanks

hoochiscrazy

HSC
lil-monkey said:
anyone doing Communication??? its my worst topic.

and can someone tell me (simply) the differences between T cells and B cells.
im :confused:
B-cells work on infections in the blood, created in bone marrow. differentiates into:
plasma b-cells-creat anti-bodies
memory b-cels- recognise antigen if it reappears.

T-cells are cell mediated so work on infections in body cells, created in thymus gland. Differentiates into:
helper t-cells- activates cytotoxic (killer) t-cells and the b-cells
Cytotoxic(killer) T-cells~attach to infected cell and destroy pathogen
Memory T-cells-long term immunity
Suppressor T-cell~suppresses numbers of B and T-cells

Hope that helps a bit

pbillabong

HSC
imqt said:
Well i am using
CLONING- this can be used for organ transplants, stem cell research and reintroduction of extinct organisnms. Food can be made to grow disease-free, increasing yeild and quality and thus furthering life expectancy. All these methods increase human populations
CONTRACEPTIVES: these are used as a means of birth control. These are very important in poorer countries, whereby the pressure to feed enormous numbers can be reduced. This improves quality of life, and in the long-run increase human health and control over the environment
RECOMBINANT DNA: Joining DNA from different organisms can produce better crops for less money and reduce environmental effects such as herbicides an pesticides. This leads to increased food supply and decreases susceptibility to disease. It can also be used to alter/delete genes particularly in the embryo stage. This improves human health and decreases chance of abnormalties. This reduces mortality rates.

3's a good number
hey, thanx for that :)

lil-monkey

HSC
hoochiscrazy said:
B-cells work on infections in the blood, created in bone marrow. differentiates into:
plasma b-cells-creat anti-bodies
memory b-cels- recognise antigen if it reappears.

T-cells are cell mediated so work on infections in body cells, created in thymus gland. Differentiates into:
helper t-cells- activates cytotoxic (killer) t-cells and the b-cells
Cytotoxic(killer) T-cells~attach to infected cell and destroy pathogen
Memory T-cells-long term immunity
Suppressor T-cell~suppresses numbers of B and T-cells

Hope that helps a bit
thanks =]
im not as confuseded

boony3

HSC
can anyone please help me with the whole chromosome/gamete/crossing over/meiosis thing? or tell me where i can find some handy info that is easy to understand.
I have no idea what this stuff is on about cept for the fact it provides variation within a species or something...help pleaseee

homijoe

HSC
boony3 said:
can anyone please help me with the whole chromosome/gamete/crossing over/meiosis thing? or tell me where i can find some handy info that is easy to understand.
I have no idea what this stuff is on about cept for the fact it provides variation within a species or something...help pleaseee
basically the important information u need to know about crossing over and random segregation is:

crossing over: is basically the exchange of genetic material between 2 chromatids as a result they increase the combination of genes on the same chromosoem, thus increase variation in offsprings.

Random segregation: the order in which chromosome lie relative to one another during first meiotic divison is random this then dictates how they segregate to opposite pole which is therefore also random. as result the gametes produced have different combinations of maternal and paternal chromosomes and thus increase variation amongst the offsprings.

nasralla

HSC
gloworm14 said:
basically the threshold of reaction is the point of excitation that causes the neuron to fire... now when the neuron fires it is known as the 'all or none' response when the reaction either occurs at maximum or not at all.. the action potential only occurs if the stimulus causes enough sodium ions to enter the neuron to change the membrane potential to a certain threshold level therefore if the depolarization is not great enough to reach this threshold then the action potential (and thus impulse) will not be produced..

if you dont have an 'action potential in a neuron' graph it might be a little difficult to grasp what im saying so google it.. goodluck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)