• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ngyuen's Execution (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Keep in mind there is no international standard on harshness of the sentence.

Light crime in Australia's legal system might be punished 100 times more severely in other country because they think these crimes are 100 times more serious than what is in Australian's view. '
Alot of work has been done on the issue of the death penalty, critical studies and supportive studies... with most comming to the conclusion that it is not a good practice for the state to undertake. As Australia (and most other western nations) are opponents of the death penalty, it is their duty to put pressure on singapore and entertain a debate with them on the issue of the death penalty (especially when it affects one of their citizens).

Obviously there is no right or wrong about 1 particular legal system.
Of course it is very hard to come to conclusions about what is morally right or wrong, but this is why we require discussion on the issue of the death penalty. Most western socities have come to the conclusion that it is not a good thing, so they have to put pressure onto the people who believe it is... and challenge their morals.

Behind the issue of the death penalty there are facts, these facts can be attacked and analysed (which has been done many times)...

As I argue, whether or not we view something as 'ok' is irrelevant, because we're not a part of that society.
So you would allow apartheid to continue,
you would allow jews to be gassed... etc etc

With no pressure, no discussion, no argument...

As I said above, behind every one of these issues there is a set of facts... these facts can be attacked and a debate about the merits of a nations laws / practices can occur. For example the commonly held belief that capital punishment is a deterent to crime.

Last edited:

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
3 days. 9am adst. {8am qld, 6am perth}
i feel extremely sorry for this guy, he had to do it so that his family wouldn't get hurt. he got caught because his sunglasses had metal in them when he went through the metal detector

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
The whole idea of not letting him having physical contact with his family and friends is so slack =\... i mean ok, he mite be criminal, but this is just so slack!!

2 Dea

HSC
I dont see the point of not letting him hug his mother one last time before he dies. Just to say goodbye.

lawforever

HSC
perfectionist said:
The whole idea of not letting him having physical contact with his family and friends is so slack =\... i mean ok, he mite be criminal, but this is just so slack!!
well that could be the revenage for Australian's protests.

HSC
I'm still tossing up to whether i believe he will die, or whether they will give an 11th hour .. thingy.. not pardon..Reprieval? God i don't know the word, i'm tired.

Hanzo

HSC
yeh its sad dat he is getting executed.. he probably could of changed and be a better man
i haf seen friends full bad and stuff in high school. but now dey haf changed.. and are good people !!

but still... if singapore dont hang him.. den der will be more trafficking in future years to come..
this is to set an example to show all the kiddies dat playing wit drugs is no game.. its real deal and u can die for getting involved..

peace^^

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i came to vent that it's so wrong that they think they can kill people, like wtf, think about it, they think that because a person has millions of dollars of drugs, they can tell them they have a week and they will never live again

K

katie_tully

I don't have a problem with him being executed. Singapore have the death penalty. He broke the law in Singapore, thus he should be subject to their legal system. Those of you who have a problem with it, heed its warning.

Don't smuggle drugs over seas. Preferably, don't smuggle drugs at all!

Generator

HSC
N/A
Another fool.

Nobody is suggesting that he should now be released for the simple fact that he is an Australian, Damage Inc. Rather, a number of people are arguing that the death penalty is not an appropriate punishment (be it in this instance or in general).

K

katie_tully

i came to vent that it's so wrong that they think they can kill people, like wtf, think about it, they think that because a person has millions of dollars of drugs, they can tell them they have a week and they will never live again
They have every right. Look at it like this. Australia is the only country in South East Asia that doesn't have the death penalty. Everybody else does, because they don't tolerate bullshit hippies who think that drug smuggling is not an offence on the same level as say, murder or rape.
Ha. What is it that drugs do? Because you've all seem to have forgotten.

K

katie_tully

The thing is, you know, I know, we all know that the death penalty is no longer a deterrent.
Therefore many people argue against the death penalty for this very reason. I think though that due to the nature and the publicity of the recent hanging, people may actually stop and think twice before drug smuggling.

0o0

o0o
HSC
N/A
i feel the death penalty is wrong for these types of crimes. if i was in charge, i would reserve it for paedophiles, rapists, murderers and other sick mother fuckers. trafficking drugs although is a serious crime, just isnt as bad. i mean, its not as if the guy made little kids take the drugs, its double sided, he supplies the goods, which is bad, but someone has to make the decision and a choice to actually snort that shit. which is totally different to murder, where the victim doesnt have a choice.

im not downplaying drug trafficking or drugs, its bad and should be punished, absolutely but not by hanging. theres no evidence that hanging drug traffickers decreses drug trafficking in comparison to just giving them life sentences.

now of course what you and i have to say is irrelevant, but just because it is an official policy of a country doesnt mean i have to agree with it, so what if its a law in another country? it was once law to fuck jews over in germany, get it?. i mean, hanging someone is so fucking babaric, if they have to kill someone, at least do it with lethal injection where they supposedly die painlessly or something, now the fuckers wont let his mother give him a hug? fuck that. look, he's a dumb mother fucker for doing this shit and i wont be giving him a minutes silence, but its my oppinion that executing people for smuggling drugs just isnt a punishment that fits the crime

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
they don't have the right to take away someone's life. why i am in two minds though is that locking someone in gaol forever is also taking away their life, but it doesn't seem the same as killing them.

K

katie_tully

It was never legal to "fuck jews over" in Germany. If it were legal, they wouldn't have had to do it in secret would they.

You again fail to realise the impact that drugs have on people. Sure, people who take drugs are morons, especially if they mad a concious decision to do so. The problem generally is that drug smugglers are not drug users themselves, and instead they merely catalyse the drug problems by making drugs more readily available.

Drug smugglers have the frame of mind to cease what they are doing. The less smugglers, the less drugs are available. All drug users do, is burden the heath system, clog up the streets and then breed, thus repeating the cycle. It always comes back to the smugglers and the producers though, because they are the ones who catalyse the reaction.

A drug user hurts themself. A drug smuggler has the potential to hurt many.

Generator

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
The thing is, you know, I know, we all know that the death penalty is no longer a deterrent.
Therefore many people argue against the death penalty for this very reason. I think though that due to the nature and the publicity of the recent hanging, people may actually stop and think twice before drug smuggling.
As iamaware said, people like you and I are deterred (but in saying that, we would be deterred by a prison sentence of any length, too), but not those mules who are clearly of the opinion that the potential gains make the risk more than worthwhile.

There will always be mules for the syndicates, no matter how many people are killed. This isn't to say that such people shouldn't be punished, it's just to say that death penalty shouldn't be a part of the solution.

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i feel the death penalty is wrong for these types of crimes. if i was in charge, i would reserve it for paedophiles, rapists, murderers and other sick mother fuckers. trafficking drugs although is a serious crime, just isnt as bad
Before I argue against your point I want to make a disclaimer that I don't condone drug trafficking or breaking other countries' laws in any way...nor do I support the death penalty/capital punishment
You imply that other types of crimes are worse than drug trafficking...but have you thought about the repercussions of that heroin had Nguyen brought them into Australia? Indirectly, he would be contributing to heroin addicts OD'ing on their drugs and associated crimes such as theft and burglary. Not saying that he's a murderer of course, but he does (did) play an important role in the supply chain. So think about the consequences.
Also, where would you draw the line for the death penalty to be meted out?
Given that, I'm totally opposed to any form of capital punishment whatsoever...even for those Bali bombers whilst others were crying for blood.
My heart goes out to the guy- he was so young and had so much to live for, but it will all be gone in an instant

ey Suga Buni whens the date of your interview on 60 minutes? That might be worth watching :p

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
I'm was thinking on the train ...no matter how much the media says he has accepted his fate... you have got to think how scared you would be right now with little under 16 hours to live.

If you knew the exact time and moment you were going to die i think i wouldnt be in any sort of state of mind to accept that a government has decided it has the right to cancel out my life.

0o0

o0o
HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
It was never legal to "fuck jews over" in Germany. If it were legal, they wouldn't have had to do it in secret would they.

You again fail to realise the impact that drugs have on people. Sure, people who take drugs are morons, especially if they mad a concious decision to do so. The problem generally is that drug smugglers are not drug users themselves, and instead they merely catalyse the drug problems by making drugs more readily available.

Drug smugglers have the frame of mind to cease what they are doing. The less smugglers, the less drugs are available. All drug users do, is burden the heath system, clog up the streets and then breed, thus repeating the cycle. It always comes back to the smugglers and the producers though, because they are the ones who catalyse the reaction.

A drug user hurts themself. A drug smuggler has the potential to hurt many.
you dont understand my point. i know drugs is bad and all that shit, but what i said is about the death penalty itself and how it helps to stop drug smuggling.

"There is not one shred of evidence that the mandatory death penalty in Singapore for trafficking in illegal drugs is more of a deterrent against drug crimes than alternative sentences such as life imprisonment," - Bond University Professor Paul Wilson

Prof Wilson said in a statement released on Friday there was no evidence the death penalty deterred drug trafficking.

you are telling me how bad drugs are, and i agree, those who smuggle that shit needs to be punished, but NOT through execution, especially hanging, its just babaric and as above, theres no evidence that hanging someone is more of a detterent then life in jail. im not saying he should be released, fuck no, he needs to be punished, but execution in my oppinion is wrong and wont do much to save drug users lives.

and actually, discriminating against jews was a legal policy in nazi germany. have a read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg_Laws

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)