Nihongo Dake (dispute resolved, thread re-opened) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

is a roflcopter
HSC
< takuya> hey newbie do you like tubgirl?
< takuya> i like that stuff a lot
< newbie> k
< takuya> im also a chikan and i like enjo kosai too
< newbie> whats that?
< takuya> ;)

kt san

oh gosh
this has turned into a battle field....
and Takuya is starting to degrade bored users...
this is quite interesting....
is it natural to assume that 4u english people don't do japanese...

Takuya

Banned
A blazing inferno of blood and despair...
Originally posted by kt san
oh gosh
this has turned into a battle field....
and Takuya is starting to degrade bored users...
this is quite interesting....
I am trying to give useful information for foreigners about Japanese Universities. Too many times have I seen ambitious foreigners go straight to University in Japan but then come out with some fabulous degree and end up teaching English. Well guess what, due to the economical condition at the time, they have had to return to their home countries!

But this idiot comes and turns it into a "My University is better than yours" argument, which is very disappointing.

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
Originally posted by kt san
i did that at the beginning of yr 12 :p ext 1 jap + ext II eng
but i had no time to work on english that xmas holiday, therefore had to drop it... and i don't like ext i eng that much, so dropped that in term 2... thus 4-> 2
so there may be ppl who did that..hehe :p

kt san

aye ya
Originally posted by Takuya
I am trying to give useful information for foreigners about Japanese Universities. Too many times have I seen ambitious foreigners go straight to University in Japan but then come out with some fabulous degree and end up teaching English. Well guess what, due to the economical condition at the time, they have had to return to their home countries!

But this idiot comes and turns it into a "My University is better than yours" argument, which is very disappointing.
despite wat u've said...have u noticed ur expressions in da pass couple of posts...
first u argue
then u argue furiously
then u swear
then degrade ppl
then swear...and...i think u get da idea.
it's not very constructive

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I agree. Takuya, this is incongruous with your usual nature. Most of the time you ARE helpful, and you give a lot of accurate and useful information. However in this thread you've shown a completely different approach, one that (it seems) has not worked. I'm not going to say either of you has the more appropriate opinion of argument, but I will say that your delivery is incomparable.

Edit: Takuya, Psychology is not for "idiots who couldn't get into medicine". It is for those who want a better understanding of the human mind as well as how, what and why people think. If failed Medicine applicants choose to enter this course they are up for a surprise. Also, if this is your real attitude to Psychologists then you will make an extremely POOR doctor, especially since you will have to take some of their subjects in your degree. People go to their doctor to deal with problems, and oft times those problems are not physiological.

(also, please don't make fun of someone because of their GOOD English?)

Last edited:

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
hey i'm sorry if i swore in my post before.. i was just 'mirroring' Takuya's words that I quoted.. i hate swearing really, it's ugly :eek:

2. If you don't [expletive removed]ing know why I am in Australia then you need to go back and learn some more English girl. Where the [expletive removed] did you learn English so good anyway? Reading your posts seems so nice, "J Girl".
My english may not be that great, but I made an effort to work REALLY hard at it (speaking, listening, writing) before I even thought about leaving Japan.

3. What the [expletive removed] is with psychology being flavor of the month? You know what psychology is - it's a course for the idiots who want to do a medical degree for the sake of it but aren't good enough to study medicine.
How much do you know about psychology to say something like this? Remember that psychology and med are interrelated fields anyway. As lexi has said, if you want to become a Dr, you will probably have to learn to work with psychologists - not all problems in life are physiological. Some problems arise from psychological causes and turn into physiological problems, and vice versa. Being a good doctor or psychologist means being open to both fields for knowledge. At present, you sound pretty close-minded to one of them.

4. Let me get this right. You are a high school student coming from Japan to study in University in Australia, or high school student coming from Japan to study in University in Japan?
From High School in Japan to University in Australia.

Also while I am at it, I want to stop hearing the words "jap" and "engrish". Why? Because I have words to call foreigners, and describe the way they speak Japanese, but I don't use them here. i.e. learn to type 5 extra characters.
This I can empathise with, because I know how some people get a kick out of Japanese people's sentence structure and word use and label it engrish, and when lexi said he thought he saw some in mine, it was a touch upsetting because I've worked hard at my english. I know it's not great or anything, but I'm trying :) (Hopefully they were just typos!)

What the [expletive removed] is this [expletive removed]: "even though Tokyo is meant to be equal number 1 in the world -proportionately- with New York, in terms of number of psychologists working"
this was in response to lexi's question about why I wanted to come to Aus to study psych/med -psych is a lot further advanced in Aus even though it's more commonly practiced in Japan.

I never said any university was better than another.

Takuya, if you just keep trying to insult me or my views, I think it will just continue to make you look worse. I don't have any negative feelings against you, but that's because I don't take these posts too much to heart. Just cool it a bit, and be happy that you can help the local students interested in Japan about our cool home country :)

Last edited:

Takuya

Banned
A blazing inferno of blood and despair...
BLAH BLAH BLAH

All I really wanted to say through all this bullshit was: "JAPS HAVE FEELINGS TOO YOU KNOW".

Now, ignore the swearing and listen to what I've had to say about Japanese Universities, because Koizumi's welfare reforms won't help lost foreigners!

kt san

BLAH BLAH BLAH

All I really wanted to say through all this bullshit was: "JAPS HAVE FEELINGS TOO YOU KNOW".

Now, ignore the swearing and listen to what I've had to say about Japanese Universities, because Koizumi's welfare reforms won't help lost foreigners!
all of a sudden takuya sounds so adorable
if any japanese are offended by our laziness to types those five extra letters...i apologize :)

but with ur l337 english skills, i'm sure u can get ur msg accross without any of those naughty naughty words
so yea
play nice...

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
J-Belle, I think your English is perfectly fine. It's always good to seek improvement. However, no-one can be perfect at any language, even the native speakers. We all have the tendency to pick on other's mistakes but often we fail to realise our own. :p So don't get put off by other people's comments but accept them as advices - and perhaps you could give your feedback as well. That is a lesson I've come to learn only 3 years after I've arrived in Australia. Confidence is very important in learning a language!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
To be blunt J-belle, your English is verifiably on par with mine. I say this without false modesty, because I too have worked very hard at polishing off my third language. What I said was an attempt to balance my comments between the two of you, as I'm not really in a position to take sides. :)

Essentially, Takuya's usually excellent English slipped because he became annoyed and typed hurriedly. Overall you are both of an excellent calibre, much higher than the standard of English used by Japanese nationals. Please don't be offended by my comments, as you are already revered for having accomplished so much.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm... I looking back I really should have ended this thread long ago. Of course, everyone seemed to enjoy the crossfire, and I'm sure you'll agree when I say it was most educational. I doubt we'll ever get two honest opinions on Japanese tertiary institutions again. Anyway, this is enough. :)

Closed

j-belle

HSC
N/A
Conditionally Re-opened

Attempt to stay on-topic please, unless anyone has any questions regarding Japanese Universities or anything else interesting to say or ask :)

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Having done EE2 last year, and entering the foray of japanese in uni this year ( oh my god its so intensive ) ... and not being a natural english speaker, i think ive done quite well to get a 49/50 for ee2 :)

j-belle

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by AsyLum
Having done EE2 last year, and entering the foray of japanese in uni this year ( oh my god its so intensive ) ... and not being a natural english speaker, i think ive done quite well to get a 49/50 for ee2 :)
Yes (we can see the 49/50 in your custom ;)), but you're jumbling everything together! Did you study Japanese in high school?

Based on your posts, I'd say that your original non-English language was a Latin-derived language (eg Italian, Spanish etc). I'm assuming that you're asian, so I'll deduce that you spoke Tagalog.

From Tagalog (which is similar to Spanish) to English isn't that tricky is it (especially at a younger age)? I mean, don't several Filipinos speak English (with the American accent hehe) already?

I'd better get a prize if I got that ^ correct!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Tagalog is not similar to Spanish in terms of construction, though about 60% of its vocabular load is derived from Spanish.

Most natural speakers of Tagalog don't have too much trouble when they come to an English speaking country because English is one of the languages of instruction in all Philippine schools. However, the English used is crap. Really. It's based on the American dialect, which is flawed enough, but it's also poorly taught and pronounciation is given no emphasis. So, they tend to have very strong accents (which are never completely lost, even after extensive immersion).

I think it's an amazing loss from the old days, when Spanish, English and Tagalog were evenly used. Those Filipinos who could afford an education came into the world trilingual! That's why people like my parents could become quite affluent overseas, whilst now even people from the very best universities are discriminated against outside Asia. Very sad.

j-belle

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Tagalog is not similar to Spanish in terms of construction, though about 60% of its vocabular load is derived from Spanish.
Think of saying something simple like "hi, how are you?" in both Spanish and Tagalog - aren't they the same construction?
I must have been thinking of the vocabular load when I said they were similar.

Most natural speakers of Tagalog don't have too much trouble when they come to an English speaking country because English is one of the languages of instruction in all Philippine schools. However, the English used is crap. Really. It's based on the American dialect, which is flawed enough, but it's also poorly taught and pronounciation is given no emphasis. So, they tend to have very strong accents (which are never completely lost, even after extensive immersion).
What is so flawed with the American dialect?
I agree wholly with the strong accent part.

I think it's an amazing loss from the old days, when Spanish, English and Tagalog were evenly used. Those Filipinos who could afford an education came into the world trilingual! That's why people like my parents could become quite affluent overseas, whilst now even people from the very best universities are discriminated against outside Asia. Very sad.
Trilingual sounds good in theory, but what good is it knowing how to speak Spanish or Tagalog in the business world? (Outside of Spain/South America/Philipinnes).

Do you Lexi (or anyone else here), know much about the connection between the Philippines and Japan in history? I have Filipino friends who have Japanese surnames (yet their parents both appear and are Filipino). It's quite confusing, and one of them went as far to say that Filipinos are a mix of Japanese, Chinese and Spanish (but I don't believe that).

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by j-belle
Think of saying something simple like "hi, how are you?" in both Spanish and Tagalog - aren't they the same construction?
I must have been thinking of the vocabular load when I said they were similar.
No, they are very different actually. See if you can find them and you'll see what I mean. :)
What is so flawed with the American dialect?
I agree wholly with the strong accent part.
It's awful. They can't spell, they can't pronounce word properly, they have NO linguistic or etymological knowledge (some of them can't even identify German as related to English!) and they completely IGNORE what little grammar normal English has left. It's terrible. I prefer Indian English.
Trilingual sounds good in theory, but what good is it knowing how to speak Spanish or Tagalog in the business world? (Outside of Spain/South America/Philipinnes).
Well, Spanish is the most widely spoken Romance Language in the world (instant key to Europe, All the Americas (except Canada). Tagalog is quite good for SE Asia (since it is so close to Indonesian) and English is excellent anywhere.
Do you Lexi (or anyone else here), know much about the connection between the Philippines and Japan in history? I have Filipino friends who have Japanese surnames (yet their parents both appear and are Filipino). It's quite confusing, and one of them went as far to say that Filipinos are a mix of Japanese, Chinese and Spanish (but I don't believe that).
I must say that's an interesting theory...I had heard much about the trade links between China and the Philippines before Spanish Conquest, though Japan has never been mentioned to me before 1941. I do know that many Japanese had the approval of the Filipinos (since more often than not they believed the "saviour of our asian brothers" propaganda) though many old wounds still throb. Despite these, a number of "aiko" are to be found with not American but a Filipino parent, which I think is an excellent thing.

At the moment my position is that although the war wounds should be left to heal, they probably won't until my grandparents' generation have been gone a decade or two. This won't be for another thirty years or so. In fact, it may take even longer (since their children will have been almost equally affected by the war they witnessed through their parents' testimony).

Sorry about the tangent. No, I haven't read or heard much about Japan and the Philippines historically at all. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)