No ATAR (1 Viewer)

Alexrules01

HSC
Hey Guys. Due to not having enough units, I'm not getting an ATAR...but I'm still at school. I just want to know, what is the point of studying? Because my parents are forcing me to study, but knowing that I'm not getting an ATAR, I'm really not motivated to spend hours studying for virtually nothing. I have thought about leaving school, but I would like to get my HSC and still hang with friends while I can.

bouncing

HSC
The HSC isn't entirely about the ATAR.
it isnt...?

@OP is it too late to pick up some units or perhaps do a 2 year thing so you can finish and get an ATAR since you'll need it for university admission.. and like tim said dont give up and seriously ... FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
it isnt...?

@OP is it too late to pick up some units or perhaps do a 2 year thing so you can finish and get an ATAR since you'll need it for university admission.. and like tim said dont give up and seriously ... FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED
the completion of year 12 is an achievement in itself, disregarding whether a person achieved an ATAR or not

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
The HSC isn't entirely about the ATAR.
the completion of year 12 is an achievement in itself, disregarding whether a person achieved an ATAR or not
Are you two HIGH? Whatever it is you guys are smoking, I want some of it, RIGHT NOW! :cold:

You finish school with an ATAR to get into Uni, or to at least get a job. Try coming up to an employer and saying: "yeah i kinda finished my HSC, but like didnt get an ATAR", thats no different to saying you got an asterix, and thats the impression your employers will get!

Unless you guys have been doing no work this year, you would know that its one hell of a torturous year that causes demoralising depression amongst most individuals, and if you dont even have a chance to get an ATAR, it is the biggest waste of time... causing nothing but stress and hatred towards life (temporarily haha).

@ OP: Drop out ASAP, or dont do any study if you CANT get an ATAR. Do EVERYTHING in your power to try and get more units to be eligible for an ATAR, as you're just wasting your time. I'm really sorry to hear this is happening to you... good luck ;)

Last edited:

random-1006

Banned
HSC
Are you two HIGH? Whatever it is you guys are smoking, I want some of it, RIGHT NOW! :cold:

You finish school with an ATAR to get into Uni, or to at least get a job. Try coming up to an employer and saying: "yeah i kinda finished my HSC, but like didnt get an ATAR", thats no different to saying you got an asterix, and thats the impression your employers will get!

Unless you guys have been doing no work this year, you would know that its one hell of a torturous year that causes demoralising depression amongst most individuals, and if you dont even have a chance to get an ATAR, it is the biggest waste of time... causing nothing but stress and hatred towards life (temporarily haha).

@ OP: Drop out ASAP, or dont do any study if you CANT get an ATAR. Do EVERYTHING in your power to try and get more units to be eligible for an ATAR, as you're just wasting your time. I'm really sorry to hear this is happening to you... good luck ;)

drugs arent cool man :p

i do agree with you however, it is important to have some sort of ranking that you can show to employers, just having a piece of paper is not really much.

Last edited:

jazzzod

HSC
Hey Guys. Due to not having enough units, I'm not getting an ATAR...but I'm still at school. I just want to know, what is the point of studying? Because my parents are forcing me to study, but knowing that I'm not getting an ATAR, I'm really not motivated to spend hours studying for virtually nothing. I have thought about leaving school, but I would like to get my HSC and still hang with friends while I can.
Okay man, listen to me.

70% of the people on this forum are Asian from elite sydney schools who are whipped if they do not get 99.5+ ATAR. Seriously, this is by no accounts a reflection of the real world. There are many employment opportunities even if you don't get an ATAR.

Consult your schools careers advisor. I'm sure they will provide suitable advice based on your subjects and possible career pathways.

izzy88

HSC

An ATAR is a rank for entrance into university- it is run by the universities (ie. UAI University Admissions Index or now ATAR whatever). If you do not want to go to university, then you do not need an ATAR. The completion of the HSC is an achievement in itself- and there are employers out there for jobs that will want you to have completed the HSC (over for example, just the School Certificate), but will not require a university degree- so why would they ask for your ATAR? Just give them your certificate for your HSC, your marks for your subjects.

If these employers are concerned about what ATAR you got (to not hire you because you didn't get one), then they will probably also want you to be studying at university/going to get a degree.

Don't just drop because you're not getting an ATAR. You've already completed year 11, only the last bit of this year to go- it would be a waste of the work you've done for the past year and a half to drop now. The HSC is better than the School Certificate in terms of qualifications. I would also think about what you want to do after school- talk to your careers advisors and see what qualifications are generally required.

Last edited:

Kralex

HSC
For your mum its a different story
Yeah it is. A completely different story at that too.

ATAR and HSC are 2 different things. Some combinations of subjects won't get you an ATAR, do you think these people do no work for the whole year? They come to school to further their education to take into say, an apprenticeship.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad

I go to a shit ranked school (180~) and so i come into contact with dumb-arsed drop out kids. Partaking in the HSC itself holds some sort of relevance for the future. You probably wouldn't notice that in your awesome ranked school where you awesome people have the 'Atar is everything' message nailed into your head

Lukybear

HSC
Depends on what you want to do? If uni, repeat yr 12 or smthing. But if just cruise through life, then get the HSC and that will count. Im not even sure that ATAR will make a heaps big impression on employeers.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
I go to a shit ranked school (180~) and so i come into contact with dumb-arsed drop out kids. Partaking in the HSC itself holds some sort of relevance for the future. You probably wouldn't notice that in your awesome ranked school where you awesome people have the 'Atar is everything' message nailed into your head
I go to a shit school as well, and this year is literally one of the worst of your life. If you bother going through this hell and not even get an ATAR out of it... you... are... an ... IDIOT! ;)

Yes, the ATAR isnt everything OVERALL, but in terms of completing year 12 and post-graduation stuff... IT IS EVERYTHING :cry: Sad... but... true

bouncing

HSC
Depends on what you want to do? If uni, repeat yr 12 or smthing. But if just cruise through life, then get the HSC and that will count. Im not even sure that ATAR will make a heaps big impression on employeers.
doubt atar will really matter to employees its just ATAR for university applications ... and then getting some mad qualifications :D

getting an ATAR is a pretty big deal if u wanna get into uni and do the course u need to get the qualifications for ur future job.. PLUS... its like 1 entire year of your life.. if u come out with nothing youd b pretty damn pissed off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)