North Sri Lankan refugees (1 Viewer)

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
We have no way of knowing, but it would be stupid to assume its above the mean.

Why is it that all the low-IQ countries are like this in the first place? You might consider that you have the causal relationship backwards.

You claimed that we need more low-IQ people, so you prove it.

YOU LITERALLY FUCKING SAID IT YOURSELF.

So you're saying Sri Lanka is the only nation in the whole region that doesn't have an IQ significantly below Australia? How convenient.
how the hell is it stupid to assume?

Also, are you implying that the political situation in countries is a direct result of slight discrepancies in mean IQ? You do realise that there is more to how a person lives their life than an arbitrary number attached to measure their "intelligemce" right?

And once again this is all irrelevant because the study you got your data from has no actual data on sri lanka but rxtrapolates an average figure from that if surrounding countries. Its a stupid as hell system considering there are so many variables that determine IQ that are different in each country. China is virtually a neighbour of India yet there is anenormous difference in mean IQ, why cant Sri Lanka be the same?

I didnt claim we needed more low IQ people, but IQ is by no means a sole determinant of productivity. How do you know that a "low IQ" Sri Lankan wont have a better work ethic than an Australian with the same IQ? People hire people for jobs based in factors other than IQ. The notion of IQ becomes particularly obsolete when hiring for the "average job" where factors such as work ethic come into play.

You do know immigration for refugees requires INDIVIDUAL applications already, right? Applications that take relevant factors into account and exclude factors such as IQ because in the end IQ has very little relevance as to how much a person contributes to society, unless of course it is at a severely mentally impaired level below 70, but not many refugees fit into that anyway.

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
Just a general observation if and, and I emphasize the IF, we take in more refugees, where does the cycle end? I mean then the argument becomes, if you can take them in why not us?

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
You do know immigration for refugees requires INDIVIDUAL applications already, right?
Great, then let's give them all cognitive ability tests.

Applications that take relevant factors into account and exclude factors such as IQ because in the end IQ has very little relevance as to how much a person contributes to society,
1. IQ is the best way of predicting the socio-economic outcomes of a person.

2. That is NOT why its excluded.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Great, then let's give them all cognitive ability tests.

1. IQ is the best way of predicting the socio-economic outcomes of a person.

2. That is NOT why its excluded.
How do you know its the "best" way? Is there really that much of a statistical difference in productivity between small discrepancies in IQ? And if there is, how do you know that other factors dont play an even larger role?

Its excluded for a reason, care to tell me what it is yourself?

hayabusaboston

HSC
how the hell is it stupid to assume?

Also, are you implying that the political situation in countries is a direct result of slight discrepancies in mean IQ? You do realise that there is more to how a person lives their life than an arbitrary number attached to measure their "intelligemce" right?

And once again this is all irrelevant because the study you got your data from has no actual data on sri lanka but rxtrapolates an average figure from that if surrounding countries. Its a stupid as hell system considering there are so many variables that determine IQ that are different in each country. China is virtually a neighbour of India yet there is anenormous difference in mean IQ, why cant Sri Lanka be the same?

I didnt claim we needed more low IQ people, but IQ is by no means a sole determinant of productivity. How do you know that a "low IQ" Sri Lankan wont have a better work ethic than an Australian with the same IQ? People hire people for jobs based in factors other than IQ. The notion of IQ becomes particularly obsolete when hiring for the "average job" where factors such as work ethic come into play.

You do know immigration for refugees requires INDIVIDUAL applications already, right? Applications that take relevant factors into account and exclude factors such as IQ because in the end IQ has very little relevance as to how much a person contributes to society, unless of course it is at a severely mentally impaired level below 70, but not many refugees fit into that anyway.
No it is not.

Well that certainly doesnt shine well on your intellect, claiming china is "virtually a neighbour of sri lanka" and india is not. m8.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
No it is not.

Well that certainly doesnt shine well on your intellect, claiming china is "virtually a neighbour of sri lanka" and india is not. m8.
They share a border along india-controlled kashmir and are literally separated by the tiny nations of nepal and tibet. This leads me to another example, nepal being a neighbour of china and having a significantly lesser mean IQ

hayabusaboston

HSC
They share a border along india-controlled kashmir and are literally separated by the tiny nations of nepal and tibet. This leads me to another example, nepal being a neighbour of china and having a significantly lesser mean IQ
um, no? Sri lanka has no boarders m8?

Srsly...

On a related note, the reasoning ability of a border collie has been calculated to be equivalent to that of a person with an IQ of 60. This means border collies are theoretically more productive workers for the economy than a bunch of countries like equatorial guinea.

Well the sad truth is that border collies are actually more productive for the economy than a pretty huge proportion of people even in developed countries, especially australia, the world's welfare bitch.

Last edited:

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

Srsly...
I was referring to your comment that china is not virtually a neighbour of india. As I demonstrated, you are factually wrong

Lynn's "IQ and the Wealth of Nations" which contains this data on IQ which SylviaB mentioned, has been criticised heavily for the way it accumulated this data, its enormous assumptions and unreliability. A basic google search can confirm this.

hayabusaboston

HSC
I was referring to your comment that china is not virtually a neighbour of india. As I demonstrated, you are factually wrong

Lynn's "IQ and the Wealth of Nations" which contains this data on IQ which SylviaB mentioned, has been criticised heavily for the way it accumulated this data, its enormous assumptions and unreliability. A basic google search can confirm this.
I didnt say that, I said sri lanka is not virtually a neighbour of china.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

Srsly...

On a related note, the reasoning ability of a border collie has been calculated to be equivalent to that of a person with an IQ of 60. This means border collies are theoretically more productive workers for the economy than a bunch of countries like equatorial guinea.

Well the sad truth is that border collies are actually more productive for the economy than a pretty huge proportion of people even in developed countries, especially australia, the world's welfare bitch.
Which goes to prove that IQ is a stupid measure of productivity because even if that statistic was true a person of 60 IQ would still have superior physical ability, discipline and work ethic, making them vastly more productive than a border collie despite, as you claim, having the same IQ

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
It's called mateship, the fair go and international solidarity. The fair go must be shinning forward providing hope, reward opportunity for all Australians.
if you, like me, believe in always shinning forward, you will vote for comrade sathius and his north sri lankan refugee plan

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Seriously, this has become a pretty stupid discussion that really isn't going anywhere.

As previously stated, IQ is not the main reason (for good reason) why we don't take too many refugees. However, human rights (as mentioned by nerdasdasd) is a much bigger and should be the more discussed problem. We need to think long term and if you want to consider IQ, you need to consider why Sri Lankans probably have a much higher IQ when they live in Australia than when they live in Sri Lanka or any developing country, for that matter. Second generation Sri Lankans who can speak English and speak fluent English are definite a positive contribution to society, however, to get second generation Sri Lankans, you need to take in first generation Sri Lankans which become the issue has they are probably not well-educated.

The problem with considering IQ is that lifestyle plays a huge role in the brain development. In Australia, the overwhelming majority are well-nourished and hence, have good brain development. However, in other countries, especially developing countries, malnutrition is a major problem which hinders brain development as the body is required to invest in other parts of the body before brain development. Therefore, in doing this, if you allow first generation Sri Lankans into the country, educate them with strong nutrition, it is likely that they will grow to be a good contribution to society - in the long term, allowing Sri Lankans into Australia is a benefit but yes, it does come with some short term problem but with an Aging population, I honestly don't see the problem of taking some of them in.

year120

HSC
this is just bullshit Australia doesn't need to increase the amount of refugees from "North Sri Lanka". don't call them "north Sri Lanka" because they're tamils and they've come from India which they can go back to. obviously you don't know the real story because they came into Sri Lanka to get Sri Lanka's land so obviously Sri Lanka would retaliate. How would you like it if I came to your house and was like 'yep that looks good i'll take it'. so it was them that started the war in the first place. bringing them to Australia would do no good for them because they wouldn't even know how to speak English and then tax payer money will go to teach them how to behave within society. all your facts are wrong, before talking about bullshit at least look at the correct facts and look at both sides of the story. obviously you didn't do that because you don't even know that it was the Tamil peoples fault and they bought it upon themselves.

Geneveeev96

HSC
this is just bullshit Australia doesn't need to increase the amount of refugees from "North Sri Lanka". don't call them "north Sri Lanka" because they're tamils and they've come from India which they can go back to. obviously you don't know the real story because they came into Sri Lanka to get Sri Lanka's land so obviously Sri Lanka would retaliate. How would you like it if I came to your house and was like 'yep that looks good i'll take it'. so it was them that started the war in the first place. bringing them to Australia would do no good for them because they wouldn't even know how to speak English and then tax payer money will go to teach them how to behave within society. all your facts are wrong, before talking about bullshit at least look at the correct facts and look at both sides of the story. obviously you didn't do that because you don't even know that it was the Tamil peoples fault and they bought it upon themselves.
Well unfortunately this is what you get year120, when you elect pitifully stupid people into government haha. A mentality of communism.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
How can facts be wrong?

year120

HSC
what I mean is all the bullshit you've written that YOU think are facts are wrong

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)