Not being allowed to do maths extension 2 (1 Viewer)

hayhay2012

HSC
i really, really, really, really want to do extension 2 maths, it has been a dream of mine for so long, but this year I did well in my 2u exams, but not so great in the 3u. I got ranked 15/20 ( it wasn't extension though for the3u since we haven't started it, it was just harder 2u) im not sure if people get what i mean but yeah...so today I went to speak to the maths coordinator about whether i can take up 4u and she said she will check on my results and let me know tomorrow...i just want to know whether they can stop me from doing it if thats what i want? i mean cant they at least let me try, i will have 13 units to start with as a safety net. thanks in advance

powlmao

Banned
HSC
i really, really, really, really want to do extension 2 maths, it has been a dream of mine for so long, but this year I did well in my 2u exams, but not so great in the 3u. I got ranked 15/20 ( it wasn't extension though for the3u since we haven't started it, it was just harder 2u) im not sure if people get what i mean but yeah...so today I went to speak to the maths coordinator about whether i can take up 4u and she said she will check on my results and let me know tomorrow...i just want to know whether they can stop me from doing it if thats what i want? i mean cant they at least let me try, i will have 13 units to start with as a safety net. thanks in advance

If they run it they shouldn't stop you from being able to do it. Call the Board of Studies if they don't and they will sort it

Also a member called 'Cem' is a actually teacher on these forums and she would know exactly what is allowed.

interesting

HSC
N/A
They're not allowed to but they will STRONGLY ADVISE you not to do it..

hayhay2012

HSC
They're not allowed to but they will STRONGLY ADVISE you not to do it..
Oh OK, but the way they speak about things like' cut off marks' etc sounds like they are making it very exclusive. also my friend said it was an 'invitational subject'

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Oh OK, but the way they speak about things like' cut off marks' etc sounds like they are making it very exclusive. also my friend said it was an 'invitational subject'
I don't believe they can make it a invite only subject.

Legit call the Board of Studies if they don't let you and they will force the school to let you in.

I believe the only reason a school can prevent you from doing a subject is if that, a) Not enough people to make a class, or b) the class is too full

HSC
Uni Grad
Depends, some places like Ruse can be really arseholey and refuse you if they don't think you're good enough without even letting you try.

HSC
Uni Grad
If a course is too full would they not just split it (unless they didnt have another teacher qualified for it)?

nightweaver066

HSC
I don't believe they can make it a invite only subject.

Legit call the Board of Studies if they don't let you and they will force the school to let you in.

I believe the only reason a school can prevent you from doing a subject is if that, a) Not enough people to make a class, or b) the class is too full
Are you absolutely sure about that?

I have heard from the head mathematics teacher at my school that even when a child and mother were bawling their eyes out and pleading to let him in to the 4U class, he said no and to take it up with the principal. The same thing happened with the principal as well, told him to that 'he can do extension 2 mathematics, but at another school.'

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Are you absolutely sure about that?

I have heard from the head mathematics teacher at my school that even when a child and mother were bawling their eyes out and pleading to let him in to the 4U class, he said no and to take it up with the principal. The same thing happened with the principal as well, told him to that 'he can do extension 2 mathematics, but at another school.'
Yep, a school cannot prevent you from doing a subject and the Board of Studies can be contacted if the school fails to provide equal chances for everyone

FTW

HSC
This same topic came up last year. Like the other have said, they can't stop you, only advise you.
If they try to, you can call the board of studies, like someone did, and their school had to let them.

HSC
Uni Grad
Kinda lame, I know 4u maths at my school had between like 2-6 students for past few years and it always ran, the two pure 2u classes had like 6 in one class and 12 in the other and there were a few other classes with only a handful of people, so poo to deny people a course based on numbers if there are teachers who can teach it.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Kinda lame, I know 4u maths at my school had between like 2-6 students for past few years and it always ran, the two pure 2u classes had like 6 in one class and 12 in the other and there were a few other classes with only a handful of people, so poo to deny people a course based on numbers if there are teachers who can teach it.
True.

I am lucky I got to do Economics, my class has only 10 people in it and most are dropping it for next year.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I know!!

Everyone doing it next year actually like the subject!

Sadly my legal class is dropping to around 8, and everyone besides me is a drop kick :( I guess it will be easy to top but annoying since no one will put any smarts into the course.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I know!!

Everyone doing it next year actually like the subject!

Sadly my legal class is dropping to around 8, and everyone besides me is a drop kick :( I guess it will be easy to top but annoying since no one will put any smarts into the course.
Yeh i fking hate bludgers who just stay in subs even though they put no effort into it whatsoever. Just ruin it for us. Fml.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Yeh i fking hate bludgers who just stay in subs even though they put no effort into it whatsoever. Just ruin it for us. Fml.
Welcome to my whole school. There are ~120 people in my year and only ~12 put any effort in.

Currently 20 people are at risk of not going to year 12 and failing year 11 ( they probably won't because they just need to finish assignments and not get a N award.

i think i'm one of them.. :( but ill put in effort this year!!
Your not if you try your best

HSC
Uni Grad
Like everyone said, they can't just say "Nah, we won't allow you to do it". I was 'refused' to do Ext. Japanese because it was "too much work for me to do it via correspondence" (there is an ACTUAL teacher for Japanese who is qualified and all that jazz and there is one girl who is allowed to do French Extension through a teacher and not through OHS) and because of my exam mark. T.T"

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Like everyone said, they can't just say "Nah, we won't allow you to do it". I was 'refused' to do Ext. Japanese because it was "too much work for me to do it via correspondence" (there is an ACTUAL teacher for Japanese who is qualified and all that jazz and there is one girl who is allowed to do French Extension through a teacher and not through OHS) and because of my exam mark. T.T"
Some schools are horrible.

I am happy that at my school everything is base of filling classes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)