Not helping peers? (1 Viewer)

king chopper

HSC
since rankings are so important ... should you not help your class peers with homework/assignments or general questions?

HSC
Uni Grad
ummm yeah only if you're a douche who cares more about school than friendships

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Yes, I found it during Year 11 hard not to help people. However, I think you should still help them to the point by giving them hints and directions, not waste your precious HSC time on their behalf. If they ask, just simply say, "No thanks, I have to worry about my HSC because I have a course that I want to get into. Thank you for your understanding."

I think I should reiterate my statement. Help those who are struggling and give them direction rather than those who are closely ranked to you. But if you are kind, help them a tiny bit.

Last edited:

Aesytic

HSC
i thought that if you helped the rest of your cohort push the ranks up and more closely together then it'd benefit you anyway, so even if everyone else does better and your rank may drop, the fact that everyone is doing well will be more beneficial than having the ranks spread far apart [and of course there's also the chance that you might lose a few friends if you refuse to help]

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd pretty much answer anyones questions except if it's "What's your thesis on belonging," cos that shit took me ages to construct haha

michaeljennings

HSC
since rankings are so important ... should you not help your class peers with homework/assignments or general questions?
You might think ranks are important now (and they are) but youre better off helping out your peers because in the end the better your cohort does as a whole in the HSC the better. And by helping others you are pretty much revising knowledge you already know so in a way you are studying. You should always help out your peers.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Answer to people who actually need the help - not the people that can't be bothered to use a textbook index. I'm usually happy to help anyone in any subject to help but if it continually occurs then I start to get abit irritated.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
i thought that if you helped the rest of your cohort push the ranks up and more closely together then it'd benefit you anyway, so even if everyone else does better and your rank may drop, the fact that everyone is doing well will be more beneficial than having the ranks spread far apart [and of course there's also the chance that you might lose a few friends if you refuse to help]
^ That, in theory.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Also, personally, I would rather lose a "friend" than being a source of information for them - and a tool. As I said before - help those that genuinely need help but not if they just want to do less work.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
it really doesnt make that much of a difference to your atar

help others and dont be a cock

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You help others because it concretes the information for yourself anyway, you just don't literally do their work for them.

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle" etc., and the favour will likely by reciprocated to you in another subject or that.

I don't see why you wouldn't want to help people, what effect is it going to have in the state with 600 something schools really...it doesn't detract from your marks and can be beneficial if everything is closer at the higher end at your school.

Bobbo1

HSC
I would definitely help them because in the end 50% of your marks are going to come from your cohort. But when I mean help I say small helps like understanding things in class, motivation and giving them direction. However, I'm going to discourage people from sharing essays too early (even if they say they just want a "look") and doing other people's homework as such

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
If they're cocky fuckwits when they beat you then never.

Otherwise i'd say you have nothing to lose.

stillthinkin

HSC
I've had some shit experiences because I helped out this one crazy girl at my school. She borrowed my paper, took it to the teacher and asked for more marks because her writing was apparently in her mind, better then mine. She did this to me in english, maths and another one of my friends in business.

But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't help people if they are genuine about it and are not going to screw you over. In the end, your learning yourself, but don't be a doormat and let people walk all over your. It's your HSC too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)