• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Novels!!! (2 Viewers)

Aznmichael92

HSC
agua.fuego said:
Is this the Unforgiving/Unforgettable Gem one? Who's it by?
Amela Pung or something like that. I dont have the book here with me. But certain her first name starts with A and her surname is Pung.

agua.fuego

HSC
Aznmichael92 said:
Amela Pung or something like that. I dont have the book here with me. But certain her first name starts with A and her surname is Pung.
Alice Pung? Read that one... can't remember the title properly though either :)

HSC
Year 7: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe (most people have read this)
Year 8: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (was borderline okay), Northen Lights (EW fantasy), Lord of the Flies (conceptually interesting), Merchant of Venice (average, didn't really care)
Year 9: (read Pride and Prejudice in January holidays. intially could not get into it- probably read chapter one about 15 times. ended up lovingit. I am now an Austen girl) Wuthering Heights (gothic romantic classic), The Chocolate War (sounds very year 5 but is explicitly high school-ness), 1984 (modern classic; orwell is genius), Jane Eyre (girly but gothicy classic), Emma (very good austen; arguably the best; clueless is loose adaptation!) Romeo and Juliet (loved it. everyone should watched Luhrmann's film version with Leonardo DiCaprio and Clare Danes- you will either love it or hate it. i am now a shakespare girl) To Kill a Mockingbird (brilliant)
Year 10: To Kill A Mockingbird (again), The Color Purple (graphic, racist issues, feminist-y american novel), The Catcher in the Rye (found it amazing. 2nd on the banned books list), Macbeth (am about to start studying it.)

I love English, am an English nerd, so really find most novels (except fantasy. yes, i am a bit weird like that) quite enjoyable...

agua.fuego

HSC
want2beasenior said:
I love English, am an English nerd, so really find most novels (except fantasy. yes, i am a bit weird like that) quite enjoyable...
Yeah, I love reading the books that we get. They actually have been really good, the ones that I have read, except for An Open Swimmer. (To any Tim Winton fans, sorry, I personally couldn't get into it). My personal favourites were Maestro and Animal Farm, I willingly read those over and over because they were so good.

I'm still waiting hopefully for Jane Austen.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
from what I can remember-
year7: Midsummer Night’s Dream [play], Catherine called Birdy, Taronga... can’t remember anything else
year8: Merchant of Venice [play], Cage of Butterflies, Z for Zachariah, the Witch of Blackbird Pond, Soldier Boy, Across the Baricades, Fortress
year9: Taming of the Shrew [play], 10 Things I Hate about You [movie], Strictly Ballroom [movie], Animal Farm, To Kill a Mockingbird
year10: One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest, Away [play], Macbeth, about to start Lord of the Flies

Favourites would have to be 10 Things and Strictly Ballroom. Or maybe I just like comedy and dancing =]

agua.fuego

HSC
x jiim said:
from what I can remember-
year7: Midsummer Night’s Dream [play], Catherine called Birdy, Taronga... can’t remember anything else
year8: Merchant of Venice [play], Cage of Butterflies, Z for Zachariah, the Witch of Blackbird Pond, Soldier Boy, Across the Baricades, Fortress
year9: Taming of the Shrew [play], 10 Things I Hate about You [movie], Strictly Ballroom [movie], Animal Farm, To Kill a Mockingbird
year10: One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest, Away [play], Macbeth, about to start Lord of the Flies

Favourites would have to be 10 Things and Strictly Ballroom. Or maybe I just like comedy and dancing =]
You got to do STRICTLY BALLROOM? Wow, I loved that movie. Also 10 things I Hate About You. Love that movie (and Taming of the Shrew :) :) )

Aznmichael92

HSC
pitty i wont be doing shakespeare again this year as already done it for genre study (power)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Aznmichael92 said:
pitty i wont be doing shakespeare again this year as already done it for genre study (power)
Don't worry. You soon will (next year).

bawd

HSC
Aznmichael92 said:
You could always do your own research and read Shakespeare yourself.

We're doing Emma for EX1 right now, and doing 'Protest' for Advanced. We've looked at Sigfried Sassoon's poems and Barack Obama's Philadelphia speech. All excellent, except maybe for Emma. :rolleyes: We watched a hilarious version of Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow in class which was good (movie itself wasn't very good, but it was funny in a quirky manner).

Prior to this, we did Merchant of Venice for EX1, Mudrooroo's Wild Cat Falling and Othello for Advanced. I enjoyed all of them.

bored of sc

HSC
want2beasenior said:
Year 7: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe (most people have read this)
Year 8: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (was borderline okay), Northen Lights (EW fantasy), Lord of the Flies (conceptually interesting), Merchant of Venice (average, didn't really care)
Year 9: (read Pride and Prejudice in January holidays. intially could not get into it- probably read chapter one about 15 times. ended up lovingit. I am now an Austen girl) Wuthering Heights (gothic romantic classic), The Chocolate War (sounds very year 5 but is explicitly high school-ness), 1984 (modern classic; orwell is genius), Jane Eyre (girly but gothicy classic), Emma (very good austen; arguably the best; clueless is loose adaptation!) Romeo and Juliet (loved it. everyone should watched Luhrmann's film version with Leonardo DiCaprio and Clare Danes- you will either love it or hate it. i am now a shakespare girl) To Kill a Mockingbird (brilliant)
Year 10: To Kill A Mockingbird (again), The Color Purple (graphic, racist issues, feminist-y american novel), The Catcher in the Rye (found it amazing. 2nd on the banned books list), Macbeth (am about to start studying it.)

Wow, that's so comprehensive!

Aznmichael92

HSC
bawd said:
You could always do your own research and read Shakespeare yourself.

We're doing Emma for EX1 right now, and doing 'Protest' for Advanced. We've looked at Sigfried Sassoon's poems and Barack Obama's Philadelphia speech. All excellent, except maybe for Emma. :rolleyes: We watched a hilarious version of Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow in class which was good (movie itself wasn't very good, but it was funny in a quirky manner).

Prior to this, we did Merchant of Venice for EX1, Mudrooroo's Wild Cat Falling and Othello for Advanced. I enjoyed all of them.
i probably could do it myself but it is kinda hard to comprehend if you are reading the play by yourself

Aznmichael92

HSC
sikhman said:
we've just started a modest proposal....damn its clever :)

everyone seems to have done othello....yet we haven't and probably won't....interesting....
othello sounds pretty cool well at least thats what people told me and so missing out on it might not be a good thing

bawd

HSC
Aznmichael92 said:
i probably could do it myself but it is kinda hard to comprehend if you are reading the play by yourself
Isn't it easier to comprehend if you read it quietly/aloud to yourself? :confused: I find it easier to initially read the text, then have educated class discussions.

Aznmichael92

HSC
bawd said:
Isn't it easier to comprehend if you read it quietly/aloud to yourself? :confused: I find it easier to initially read the text, then have educated class discussions.
well i find it easier to read with at least one more person so you can easily tell who is talking. Otherwise it is like one person talking the whole way through

akrinis

HSC
One thing I have to say I'm guilty of, is that when I'm given a novel to read, I can sometimes get lazy and go to websites like Spark Notes and Cliffs Notes instead of reading the novels..

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Aznmichael92 said:
I always read plays to myself. Also in my head.

bawd

HSC
Aznmichael92 said:
well i find it easier to read with at least one more person so you can easily tell who is talking. Otherwise it is like one person talking the whole way through
I do the voices when I read plays by myself. :p

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
akrinis said:
One thing I have to say I'm guilty of, is that when I'm given a novel to read, I can sometimes get lazy and go to websites like Spark Notes and Cliffs Notes instead of reading the novels..
I do that and it works till your given some random novel that isnt on Sparknotes and you actually have to read it. :mad1:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)