NRL : The Official NRL Thread 2006 (4 Viewers)

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
at least you get to see Hodgson play.. there's the value rapaid already :)

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
brogan77 said:
HOLY SHIT BATMAN, I JUST REALISED THE NSW HALVES ARE THE ROOSTERS HALVES!!!

Mwahahhahahahhahahahha

and look how well we've been playing

bahahhahah, this is hilarious.
fucken finch. if he plays shit, im gonna seriously get myself drunk and run onto the field, chasing him with a fucken bat. Cant beleive this.

InFeRn0

HSC
na doesnt look like it will rain according to the weather forcast

Passing Clouds. Cool.
Humidity 61%
15 degrees

rewster

HSC
kimi said:
fucken finch. if he plays shit, im gonna seriously get myself drunk and run onto the field, chasing him with a fucken bat. Cant beleive this.
Sucked in, Finch played mad! Stop Bagging him, he isn't shit he's quality. I never doubted Finch when they chose him, I even put money on him for first try scorer! People should stop bagging Finch

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
You're in denial. You say that now, cos you see him improving and saving the day now but from watching him stuff up OUR season for the last two years- im not the only one who hates him. Sure, hes improved now but i still think hes shit. Soward kicks his ass anyday. And it makes me and many others question why he can play so brilliantly when it comes to games like City v Country and Origin, but preety friggen average for Roosters. The field goal tonight has been his ONLY ONE all year. Thats not quality. Its called being a fluke. If you REALLY want people to stop bagging Finch, go to the People's Wall or The Wall and start there. You're not gonna go far though. I dont care anyway, Soward's signed on for two years so Finch is gone by the arrival of 2007. He can kiss my ass.

(However, ive chosen to love him for about a week for saving the day tonight. Cos its Origin and Origin>everything else important cept Roosters.Thats all he gets).

Actually, i lie. I Love Finch. Love Love LOVE

Last edited:

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
Breaking News

Gasnier has resigned with dragons until 2011

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
kimi said:
And it makes me and many others question why he can play so brilliantly when it comes to games like City v Country and Origin, but preety friggen average for Roosters.
Ricky Stuart coaches the Roosters. He didn't coach City vs Country, and Murray coached NSW this year.

That's the difference.

He was pretty decent at Canberra. Ricky Stuart didn't coach there either.

On a non-league-related note, you've changed your mobile number and haven't told me. I tried to call you last night .. only to find that your number is disconnected. *Is hurt*

sando said:
Breaking News

Gasnier has resigned with dragons until 2011
Rofl, the difference between resigned and re-signed :p

But yes .. five years. Supposedly 400k a year from the club, and 350k from third party endorsement .. so $750,000 a season. That's pretty good, for him.

He'll also be the five-eighth, and the club captain supposedly.

Interesting times ahead ..

I would much rather Dean Young be the captain. Or Jason Ryles.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
kimi said:
Rob, three are assholes and disconnected that number. I didnt change it, but if you want to talk to me- email me or something. But keep the number, its still my number.

Ricky Stuart > Brown.
Difference= Ricky Stuart has taken us to 6 Grand Finals.
Ahh ok .. so are you going to get the number back? 3 aren't assholes .. they're much better than Orange, at any rate. Hehe. Incidentally, they are both controlled by Hutchinson Telecommuncations. Or is it just Communications? Meh.

No point debating about Stuart vs Brown, because the statistics themselves prove otherwise. Those statistics being Grand Final appearances, obviously.

However, in almost every single Dragons (Brown) vs Roosters (Stuart) match, Brown has been better than Stuart tactically. Anzac Day this year was just one match to prove that.

I'm of the opinion that if Nathan Brown were coaching at ANOTHER club, he would be an amazing coach. His problem is that he is still good mates with half the team .. I mean, he used to play with half of them.

When he coached Jersey Flegg in his first season of coaching a few seasons back, he didn't really know any of the players, and he took them to the Grand Final. They weren't one of the two best teams player for player, but he got them there.

I have no doubt that once the "old firm" at the Dragons clears out, if Brown is still the coach then he will show how good a coach he really is.

With regards to Ricky Stuart, though .. I wasn't inferring that he was a bad coach. Merely that he is a halves killer. He is rapidly gaining a reputation for this among other clubs.

He's destroyed Finch. He's destroying Anasta. He's destroying Soward (but I use destroying lightly here). He's destroyed Wing (who used to play in the halves, was good in the halves, but is now shot).

Fittler was the only player to rise above it.

It's not just coincidence that Finch and Anasta played well. Much like it was never coincidental that Barrett's best games have always been for NSW and Australia, when the halfback was the playmaker and Barrett's role was as a ball-runner.

Different players are suited to different coaching styles. Finch would go really well at the Tigers, in my opinion. I think Tim Sheens recognises that, and it is why he is quite interested in him.

One last thing for the night .. I told you guys last week that Gaz would re-sign with us. From memory, I wrote two years? Close enough :p

rewster

HSC
kimi said:
You're in denial. You say that now, cos you see him improving and saving the day now but from watching him stuff up OUR season for the last two years- im not the only one who hates him. Sure, hes improved now but i still think hes shit. Soward kicks his ass anyday. And it makes me and many others question why he can play so brilliantly when it comes to games like City v Country and Origin, but preety friggen average for Roosters. The field goal tonight has been his ONLY ONE all year. Thats not quality. Its called being a fluke. If you REALLY want people to stop bagging Finch, go to the People's Wall or The Wall and start there. You're not gonna go far though. I dont care anyway, Soward's signed on for two years so Finch is gone by the arrival of 2007. He can kiss my ass.

(However, ive chosen to love him for about a week for saving the day tonight. Cos its Origin and Origin>everything else important cept Roosters.Thats all he gets).

Actually, i lie. I Love Finch. Love Love LOVE
Yeah, heaps of people hate him. But I reckon he's underated. He hasn't kicked a F/G for thr Roosters this year because we have been in a position where we needed one. And why do people put all the blame on him for us not going well last season? Freddy left and we didn't have a replacement, Finch can't do it all on his own. In 2004 he was runner up for Dally M medal, but he was still bagged out that season. Finch is heaps good!

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
brogan77 said:
Better than your page long propaganda dissertations which go nowhere, say nothing and are based upon uninformed opinion but spoken as fact. Absolute garbage, champ.
If you are referring to the stuff about the coaching, then ok, point taken.

If it's about all the posts regarding player transfers, then I'll argue, because the opinion is very informed. The only inconsistencies have been Cooper signing for three years instead of two, and Gasnier signing for five instead of two.

Anyway, Dragons smashed the Knights. Line speed in defence for the first time in a season and a half was a joy to watch, and Gasnier carved it up out wide. They actually won a match coming off the bye .. two wins from nine now. But seven from nine at Energy Australia Stadium.

Andrew Johns whinged all night, and then stormed off home after the match. He just went straight into the changerooms, got his stuff together and went home five minutes after fulltime. And then Hagan was trying to defend him. Piss-poor effort from a player who I have a huge amount of respect for.

Luke Bailey was awesome, but hopefully he won't get selected for Origin II. Mason, O'Meley and Simpson were good enough in the first match.

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
Canberra are currently beating NQLD :eek:

GO THE RAIDERS

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
Clinton Schifcofske (howevr u spell it) is a bloody legend... Sucked in NQLD

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
sando said:
Clinton Schifcofske (howevr u spell it) is a bloody legend... Sucked in NQLD
Actually it was Todd Carney that kicked the field goal. I thought it was Schifcofske too but it was the winger. It was a sweet kick, especially from 40 out.

The Bulldogs sucked major ass tonight. The only player who looked like he wanted to be there was Maitua, and he only got the ball about 2 times. Sherwin's kicking is getting more confident (he even tried a chip kick tonight) but his defence is shocking - in saying that, so was everyone elses.

I get so frustrated by this stupid team. You expect so much going up against a team the calibre of Brisbane...and you get nothing. Grr.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
brogan77 said:
The former, Rob.
Ok, sweet :)

snickerdoodle said:
Actually it was Todd Carney that kicked the field goal. I thought it was Schifcofske too but it was the winger. It was a sweet kick, especially from 40 out.

The Bulldogs sucked major ass tonight. The only player who looked like he wanted to be there was Maitua, and he only got the ball about 2 times. Sherwin's kicking is getting more confident (he even tried a chip kick tonight) but his defence is shocking - in saying that, so was everyone elses.

I get so frustrated by this stupid team. You expect so much going up against a team the calibre of Brisbane...and you get nothing. Grr.
Carney's the five-eighth. He's a very good player, one to watch out for. Doesn't get the press he deserves because he plays for Canberra .. much like Steve Bell when he used to play for Melbourne and was never talked about, but he comes to Manly and he's the talk of the town.

The Bulldogs have had a gifted run in 2006 until tonight. They kept coming up against teams who were either out-of-form or understrength. Granted, they won the games. But their position wasn't a true reflection on how they have played this season. Tonight they came up against a committed, disciplined, near-full-strength side in Brisbane, and they were well-beaten.

It will be interesting to see how they respond against Newcastle next week.

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
DRAGONZ said:
Carney's the five-eighth. He's a very good player, one to watch out for. Doesn't get the press he deserves because he plays for Canberra .. much like Steve Bell when he used to play for Melbourne and was never talked about, but he comes to Manly and he's the talk of the town.

The Bulldogs have had a gifted run in 2006 until tonight. They kept coming up against teams who were either out-of-form or understrength. Granted, they won the games. But their position wasn't a true reflection on how they have played this season. Tonight they came up against a committed, disciplined, near-full-strength side in Brisbane, and they were well-beaten.

It will be interesting to see how they respond against Newcastle next week.
Aahhh, I could've sworn I saw a five on his back. Stupid people kept blocking my view at the Leagues club.

I agree that the Dogs have beaten some very poor sides on the day, but I've seen flashes of brilliance, particularly in the past 4 weeks, that no team in the NRL could've stopped. I don't think we've been playing badly, per se. A consistent, 80 minute performance could've seen us annihalate Canberra and Parramatta (who played just plain BAD), who were the only two teams that were really out-of-form. It's a discipline thing that turns on and off - last weeks first half was reminiscent of 2004, then we lost it again. We even looked like getting on top for a 20 minute period in the second half today. Considering the up and down form of every other club in the League, we haven't been playing as bad as you say.

But you're right - whenever we've met a side who was willing to give it back to us, we crumble. Williams needs to get back into the second row. Maitua needs to play lock. Armit needs to start instead of coming off the bench. Sherwin and Holdsworth need to work on their tackling. Hughes needs to NOT give out so many penalties, and Ngawini needs to move to first grade. Tonight it just seemed like nobody wanted to be there.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
You raised heaps of good points in that post. If we still had rep, I'd give it to you!

In the NRL today (and for the last few years), it's not about who has the best team. It's about who can be the most consistent. Last year, in comparison to others, the Tigers had a crap team. But they were consistent running into the Finals, and only lost one of their last fourteen or so games.

Melbourne and Brisbane have been the most consistent sides this season thusfar, and it's no surprise that Brisbane is first, with Melbourne probably joining them .. they should beat Penrith.

Canterbury severely lack in discipline. The slide started when Steve Price left.

Williams is wasted out wide, but Folkes will be hesitant to throw him back in towards the centre of the field. IMO, he should be employed as an extremely wide second rower .. he tore the Dragons a new one in Round 1, 2005 playing in that position. However, with the torn hamstring suffered by Willie Tonga tonight, there is little option.

I'm divided on whether Armit is even good enough for First Grade or not. Whenever I watch the Bulldogs, it seems like he goes crap.

With all due respect to the halves, they aren't there for their defensive capability, hehe. Mathew Head is the Dragons worst defender, but he's considered by many to be their most important player. Likewise with Darren Lockyer -- go to a few forums and you'll see those "player look-a-like" threads .. on many an occasion, they put Lockyer next to a turnstile .. rofl.

Often you'll find halves who are defensive liabilities play one inside the centres. Effectively defending in the second row. So perhaps Sherwin could take one side, Holdsworth the other.

Ngawini was a wonderful buy from North Sydney Bears. He'll be an excellent hooker, he should get the gig ahead of the incumbents. Look at how good some recent debutants have been going for their clubs .. Wicks and Leaeno for Dragons, Tuiaki for Tigers.

Overall, I think Canterbury will be somewhere between 6 - 8 at season's end. They'd have to pull something special out in the Finals.

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
DRAGONZ said:
You raised heaps of good points in that post. If we still had rep, I'd give it to you!
*Sniff*, that's the nicest thing anyone has said to me all day :p.

The Williams thing really annoys me. Granted, he gets injured. But wrapping a player of that calibre in cotton wool and giving him 3 touches a game is doing no one any favours. He looked like he was going to fall asleep on the field tonight. I actually didn't know Tonga tore the hamstring, thanks for the heads up. I guess Williams is there for another 4 weeks.

Armit is not as bad as you think! He less of a "wow look at him go" player and more of a quiet reserved player that gets the job done.

The halves thing is definitely true, but they both do a really half assed job tackling. Sherwin always bounces off, and Holdsworth considers himself lucky if he's got them by the shoelaces. IMO it's nothing a little practice won't fix, but therein lies the discipline problem. I have no doubt Steve Folkes puts them through the paces at training, and it shows at some stages of the game until poof...it's gone again. And it's. so. frustrating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)