• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

NRL Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
DRAGONZ said:
So they could get another amazing crowd of about 10,000 at Telstra Stadium?

If there's an Australia vs New Zealand final, it should be played across the Tasman.

Because, put simply, noone in Australia really cares about it. If there was actually competition, then perhaps people would.
New Zealand are improving with every game, and without Andrew Johns anything is possible.

When I said closer to home I actually meant either to Australia or NZ. Guess I should've clarified.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
MuffinMan said:
hey hey dont forget nz beat us in the first test
Both in 2004 and then this series so far, Australia have shown an alarming ability to be complacent.

Why? Because they KNOW the other teams aren't difficult to beat.

In Sydney, Australia pulled their finger out for fifteen minutes. In that times, they scored 22 points or 24 points, whatever it was.

In Auckland, the exact same thing happened. They decided to play for the ten minutes either side of halftime, and they scored 24 points?

In 2004, they did jack for the whole series, and then decided in the final that they would play. Only for one half, though .. and at halftime, they were leading 38 - 0.

MuffinMan, if you can see that this is the extent of the competition that the world can offer, I think you will understand my point.

snickerdoodle said:
New Zealand are improving with every game, and without Andrew Johns anything is possible.

When I said closer to home I actually meant either to Australia or NZ. Guess I should've clarified.
They are improving. We'll see what happens during the course of the series. Bennett should play Barrett as halfback, but I bet he'll use either Gower or Prince.

Point taken about the venue thing.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
To the total of ZERO people who seem to care ...

Prince selected at half ahead of Barrett and Gower ..

I hear that Prince is off-contract at the end of 2006 ..

I also hear that Brisbane are looking for a quality halfback ..

He deserves his spot, but put two and two together. You'll get four and a Brisbane coach trying to inflate the price of a Wests Tigers halfback.

No coaches of NRL clubs should be allowed to coach rep teams. I think it destroys the integrity of representative fixtures ..

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
DRAGONZ said:

He deserves his spot, but put two and two together. You'll get four and a Brisbane coach trying to inflate the price of a Wests Tigers halfback.

No coaches of NRL clubs should be allowed to coach rep teams. I think it destroys the integrity of representative fixtures ..
yeh i agree, nrl coaches shouldnt coach rep sides they always put more of their players in there or try to inflate another players price. especially with ricky stuart choosng anasta for nsw and he moves to the roosters, he used his rep coach power as a bonus incentive.

HSC
DRAGONZ said:

I'll watch how prince goes as halfback with interest, always good to shake up the establishment.

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
If Prince goes to Broncos, i will be so psd. Hes too adorable to go there. Anywhere but Broncos.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Sharks circling if Dragons drop Thompson
Friday Nov 4 16:08 AEST
The Sharks will consider offering Lance Thompson an NRL lifeline if the disgruntled St George Illawarra forward is offloaded by the Dragons.

Thompson is contracted to the Dragons for next season, but his future remains clouded because of salary cap pressures on the club.

Cronulla general manager Steve Rogers said Thompson would be a welcome addition to the Sharks pack, particularly after the loss of experienced frontrower Jason Stevens.

"He's a quality player and you can never have enough quality players," Rogers said.

"Of course (we are interested). There is a lot of interaction between St George and Cronulla players.

"It's something we would consider, but like every club it will come down to salary cap considerations.

"In saying that, that's not the only issue, obviously."

A veteran of 200 first grade games, Thompson has been offside with Dragons officials since walking out on the club's awards night last month over claims he would be squeezed out of the club for next year.

The 27-year-old, who has not yet spoken to Dragons CEO Peter Doust or coach Nathan Brown since the issue flared, will meet Dragons officials some time in the next two weeks to learn his fate.

It is unlikely the Sharks could to afford to buy out all of Thompson's contract, believed to be worth close to $200,000, but would consider paying out a percentage of his remaining year with the Dragons.

Rogers said he would watch the developments at the Dragons with interest, as the Sharks may have some room to move under the salary cap for next year.

"It's not something I could openly commit to at this time, as we obviously have some limitations on what can be said," Rogers said.

"Obviously that's the case. That needs to run its course over there before we can do anything with the anti-tampering laws. We'll wait and see what transpires.

"There are a lot of other circumstances that need to be taken into consideration.

"At this time of the year most clubs have spent the majority of their dollars and we are no different."

Rogers also denied rumours that backrower Paul Gallen was unhappy at the Sharks and may be swapped for Thompson.

"There's nothing in that. I have spoken to his manager and I know the player is happy," Rogers said.

"Paul is contracted for two years and we have just recently discussed the possibility of extending that."

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Thanks a bunch, Kim :D

First it was BBSF comparing his players to former Dragons players.

Now it's Steve Rogers wanting to buy them.

Not saying that Thommo is a former player yet .. but the odds aren't in his favour, that's for sure.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Hmmm, lets see.

Pros - Thommo is an extreme workhorse. Pissing Stains off.

Cons - Former Stain, former stain crowd fave, drongo, Sharks already have too many quality backrowers, its the one spot we dont need to fill.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Yeh whatever. All rumours. Gallen isnt leaving btw.

Anyway. The draw was released.

Round 1 10-12 March 2006
Knights v Eels
Rabbitohs v Roosters
Sea Eagles v Raiders
Broncos v Cowboys
Warriors v Storm
Sharks BYE
Tigers v Dragons
Bulldogs v Panthers

Round 2 17-19 March 2006
Sharks v Broncos
Raiders v Knights
Rabbitohs BYE
Dragons v Panthers
Roosters v Storm
Eels v Warriors
Cowboys v Sea Eagles
Bulldogs v Tigers

Round 3 24-26 March 2006
Tigers v Warriors
Knights v Bulldogs
Rabbitohs v Dragons
Roosters v Raiders
Sea Eagles v Sharks
Broncos v Eels
Panthers BYE
Cowboys v Storm

Round 4 31 March-2 April 2006
Knights v Warriors
Sharks v Rabbitohs
Eels v Cowboys
Dragons v Broncos
Sea Eagles v Roosters
Tigers v Storm
Raiders v Panthers
Bulldogs BYE

Round 5 7-9 April 2006
Storm BYE
Sharks v Roosters
Warriors v Sea Eagles
Eels v Panthers
Bulldogs v Raiders
Cowboys v Tigers
Dragons v Knights
Broncos v Rabbitohs

Round 6 14-17 April 2006
Roosters v Broncos
Sea Eagles v Dragons
Rabbitohs v Bulldogs
Raiders v Warriors
Tigers v Sharks
Knights v Cowboys
Eels BYE
Panthers v Storm

Round 7 21-25 April 2006
Eels v Tigers
Storm v Knights
Broncos v Panthers
Dragons v Roosters
Raiders BYE
Sharks v Cowboys
Warriors v Rabbitohs
Bulldogs v Sea Eagles

Round 8 28-30 April 2006
Panthers v Sharks
Warriors v Bulldogs
Broncos v Raiders
Storm v Dragons
Sea Eagles v Eels
Rabbitohs v Knights
Tigers BYE
Cowboys v Roosters

Test Match 5-May 2006

Round 9 6-7 May 2006
Cowboys v Panthers
Knights v Broncos
Eels v Raiders
Warriors BYE
Tigers v Sea Eagles
Roosters v Bulldogs
Rabbitohs v Storm
Sharks v Dragons

City v Country 12-May 2006

Round 10 13-14 May 2006
Storm v Cowboys
Tigers v Knights
Broncos v Sea Eagles
Dragons v Warriors
Raiders v Sharks
Bulldogs v Eels
Panthers v Rabbitohs
Roosters BYE

Round 11 19-21 May 2006
Broncos BYE
Dragons BYE
Cowboys BYE
Roosters v Rabbitohs
Knights v Raiders
Warriors v Tigers
Bulldogs v Sharks
Sea Eagles v Storm
Panthers v Eels

State of Origin 1 24-May 2006

Round 12 26-28 May 2006
Sharks v Warriors
Broncos v Bulldogs
Cowboys v Raiders
Storm v Panthers
Knights v Dragons
Sea Eagles BYE
Rabbitohs v Tigers
Eels v Roosters

Round 13 2-4 June 2006
Panthers v Sea Eagles
Storm v Roosters
Dragons v Eels
Raiders v Rabbitohs
Tigers v Cowboys
Bulldogs v Knights
Sharks BYE
Warriors v Broncos

Round 14 9-11 June 2006
Raiders v Bulldogs
Panthers v Dragons
Eels v Storm
Knights BYE
Roosters v Warriors
Rabbitohs v Broncos
Cowboys v Sharks
Sea Eagles v Tigers

State of Origin 2 14-June 2006

Round 15 16-18 June 2006
Broncos v Dragons
Tigers v Roosters
Bulldogs v Cowboys
Storm v Raiders
Warriors v Knights
Eels v Rabbitohs
Sharks v Sea Eagles
Panthers BYE

Round 16 23-25 June 2006
Panthers v Tigers
Dragons v Cowboys
Storm v Bulldogs
Rabbitohs v Warriors
Eels BYE
Raiders v Roosters
Sea Eagles v Broncos
Knights v Sharks

Round 17 30 June-2 July 2006
Warriors v Panthers
Sea Eagles v Knights
Roosters BYE
Broncos v Sharks
Raiders v Eels
Tigers v Bulldogs
Dragons BYE
Storm BYE
Cowboys v Rabbitohs

State of Origin 3 5-July 2006

Round 18 7-9 July 2006
Roosters v Sea Eagles
Sharks v Tigers
Bulldogs v Warriors
Dragons v Rabbitohs
Panthers v Raiders
Cowboys BYE
Storm v Broncos
Eels v Knights

Round 19 14-16 July 2006
Roosters v Sharks
Panthers v Cowboys
Knights v Storm
Broncos BYE
Warriors v Eels
Rabbitohs v Sea Eagles
Raiders v Tigers
Dragons v Bulldogs

Round 20 21-23 July 2006
Sea Eagles v Panthers
Tigers v Eels
Knights v Rabbitohs
Bulldogs v Roosters
Storm v Sharks
Warriors BYE
Cowboys v Broncos
Raiders v Dragons

Round 21 28-30 July 2006
Panthers v Warriors
Roosters v Cowboys
Rabbitohs v Raiders
Broncos v Tigers
Bulldogs BYE
Eels v Sea Eagles
Dragons v Storm
Sharks v Knights

Round 22 4-6 August 2006
Storm v Tigers
Roosters v Knights
Warriors v Sharks
Rabbitohs v Panthers
Cowboys v Bulldogs
Sea Eagles BYE
Eels v Dragons
Raiders v Broncos

Round 23 11-13 August 2006
Broncos v Storm
Bulldogs v Dragons
Panthers v Roosters
Knights v Sea Eagles
Tigers v Raiders
Rabbitohs BYE
Sharks v Eels
Warriors v Cowboys

Round 24 18-20 August 2006
Sea Eagles v Rabbitohs
Sharks v Panthers
Cowboys v Knights
Bulldogs v Broncos
Raiders BYE
Dragons v Tigers
Roosters v Eels
Storm v Warriors

Round 25 25-27 August 2006
Rabbitohs v Cowboys
Eels v Broncos
Warriors v Roosters
Knights v Panthers
Dragons v Sharks
Raiders v Storm
Tigers BYE
Sea Eagles v Bulldogs

Round 26 1-3 September 2006
Broncos v Warriors
Tigers v Rabbitohs
Storm v Sea Eagles
Sharks v Raiders
Cowboys v Eels
Knights BYE
Roosters v Dragons
Panthers v Bulldogs

Discuss.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Haven't had a chance to sit down for a couple of hours and look at the draw properly. Will attempt to do so after the HSC ends, I guess. Next Saturday, maybe.

Checked out our draw, though, and it doesn't look too tough.

Even though we're not in the easiest pool, it certainly lends itself to seeing the Dragons win the minor premiership.

I'll check it out more next weekend.

Australia 44
Great Britain 4

Australia to lead 38 - 0 at halftime ... then score almost immediately in the second half. They will take their foot off the pedal, and Great Britain score a solitary try.

Seriously, if they play like they did last week, we could see a cricket score tonight ...

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
Final Result: Australia 20
Great Britain 6

Our Stats were so shit - we had less possession than GB but we managed to still win. I guess it was preety wet so i cant really be psd off that there was so many drop balls (fucken O'Donnell). I didnt watch the first half but i turned on the tv when Cooper got his try. God that was awesome. Morley was so beautiful for GB :) He even scored their only try :| but i didnt like that tackle he did on Tate. That was plain mean. And Fitzy can actually convert now *shock horror*. Go the Roosters People :D

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Luke O'Donnell was the best player on the field last night.

Followed by Fitzgibbon, Cooper, Mason and Lockyer.

The final try was a beaut. Ben Kennedy once again shows with that offload that he is the best forward in the world.

Soft defence at times from Australia. They just don't look to have the same zest and passion for the rugby league that New Zealand do. The Morley try was deadset embarrassing.

Prince was horrendous. Started off alright but then went missing .. so much so that Minichiello wasn't even seen in attack. When Barrett came on, it helped Lockyer settle down and play much better, eventually setting up the Minichiello try.

Australia vs New Zealand final now .. they should seriously go and play it in Auckland.

Random_87

HSC
N/A
Bookie said:
I woke up and watched the rugby. Viva le France!

Man, all the french players are hot [most of them at least - all the subs were ugly though].

Matty Rogers played well.
Yeah, me too. Watched the stupid union. And im sooooo tempted to bitch about the union in the league thread, but i'll resist and "wont go there girl friend." I'll just say that Australia have not, and will not change their play style, and until they do they can expect to lose to the other 'good' Rugby nations around the world.

Yeah, Matty Rogers was the best starter on the field, also Phil Waugh was everywhere (like always) and George Smith was very good too (but thats a given, i guess). And the two reserves Clyde Johansson and Drew Mitchell were bloody good. I want those two and a few other young guys to start next game for the wallabies. The wallabies need to blood the young guys if they want to win. Drop Tuirinui and since they will never drop Tuquiri, move him to the wing. And drop Latham and move Rogers to Full Back or Keep Latham at Full back and move Rogers to 5/8 and push Giteau to inside centre...

... This got soo outta hand... uhh, how can i make this right? Go Sharks!!!??

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
Random_87 said:
Yeah, me too. Watched the stupid union. And im sooooo tempted to bitch about the union in the league thread, but i'll resist and "wont go there girl friend." I'll just say that Australia have not, and will not change their play style, and until they do they can expect to lose to the other 'good' Rugby nations around the world.

Yeah, Matty Rogers was the best starter on the field, also Phil Waugh was everywhere (like always) and George Smith was very good too (but thats a given, i guess). And the two reserves Clyde Johansson and Drew Mitchell were bloody good. I want those two and a few other young guys to start next game for the wallabies. The wallabies need to blood the young guys if they want to win. Drop Tuirinui and since they will never drop Tuquiri, move him to the wing. And drop Latham and move Rogers to Full Back or Keep Latham at Full back and move Rogers to 5/8 and push Giteau to inside centre...

... This got soo outta hand... uhh, how can i make this right? Go Sharks!!!??
One word: Giteau. :chainsaw:
Bastard played so shit.

HSC
Well it seems that NZ may have a real shot at winning the title now with Lockyer being ruled out along with hindmarsh, although barret will probably step up well. They have called Wingy into the squad, which i'm not too happy about considering he was supposed to use this time to recover from some chronic injuries:

SMH said:
Injury-hit Kangaroos turn to Wing

Sydney Roosters utility Craig Wing has been called up for the Kangaroos squad after captain Darren Lockyer and Nathan Hindmarsh were ruled out of the Tri Nations tour in a double injury blow.

Lockyer was diagnosed with a broken bone in his foot suffered at training in Paris yesterday and he will be out of action for two to three months.

Hindmarsh also re-injured the knee which kept him out of the NRL finals during the same training session and will not be risked on tour.

It is likely Lockyer will remain with the team, while Hindmarsh will fly back to Australia for treatment.

Further compounding the Kangaroos' injury dramas is the fact that Lockyer's obvious five-eighth replacement, Trent Barrett, is in serious doubt for Saturday night's one-off Test against France in Perpignan with a foot injury of his own.

Wing is currently holidaying in Hawaii and arrangements are being made for him to fly from there to the US and then France.

The 25-year-old was initially overlooked for the Tour after being named in the train-on squad but got the nod over Cowboys playmaker Johnathan Thurston due to his Test match experience and ability to play anywhere in the backline.

Wing played the last of his 12 Tests during Australia's 32-16 win over New Zealand in the Anzac Test in April.

The selectors decided not to name a replacement for Hindmarsh, with up to seven players capable of playing in the backrow for the Kangaroos.

The ARL today also confirmed Newcastle hooker Danny Buderus will captain the side in Lockyer's absence.

"Danny has captained Australia before and he has captained his state, we are confident he'll do the job well again," Australian Rugby League chairman Colin Love said today.

Injury has now claimed both Australia's star halves with Andrew Johns forced out on the eve of the tour with a recurrence of an old knee injury.

"We're pretty strong men, we play for Australia," Bennett said.

"We lost Joey Johns and we got on with life. We will get on with life after this one too.

"We'd like to have Darren here and we'd love to have Joey and anyone else who should be in the team as well that can't play.

"But somebody else will seize the opportunity."

Lockyer - the hero of Australia's 44-4 Tri Nations final win 12 months ago - fractured a bone in his left foot during a game of touch football near the end of a lively session.

Almost at the same moment, Hindmarsh broke down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)