NRL Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knights_chick

I cannot stand the Bulldogs, but I have to admit they are a very good team. Especially when you have an utstanding player in Sonny Bill Williams ( sorry I cannot get over the way he layed out Marcus Bai in the WCC with THAT shoulder).
I cannot see the Sharks beating them unless they have an off day or there are players missing due to injuries. Although, I don't think the Bulldogs will be as good as last year.
My top 8 would be, in no particualer order (except for 8th place):
Dragons
Roosters
Panthers
Bulldogs
Knights
Storm
Eels
Cowboys/Tigers/Broncos (cannot decide on who can make 8th spot)

Jiga

I can see the Sharks beating them, by your own admission there not as good as last year, and well we have a better side, add to this we barely lost to them last year and well......the answer is simple - we will beat them.

In short, whenever they play the dogs, Ill be down at the local TAB putting $20 on the Sharks!

VonDavis

(",) ..... *'\_/'*
HSC
I don't think panthers will be up there this year (i'ma panthers supporter) I'm with M l l< E and the line up for this year but I don't argee with where you put Newcastle and New Zealand ....

Knights_chick

I can't believe some people think the Knights will get the spoon. I am saying this because they have too many good players for this to happen. I can't see them getting it in front of Souths, Manly and Sharks ( Schoolies 2004 sorry mate)

VonDavis

(",) ..... *'\_/'*
HSC
I'm with you iluvtheknights I don't think Newcastle is going down but they aren't going to be all the way up there though sorry.... Not trying to diss your team.

Jiga

Get off it Iluvtheknights, not even I rate Knights as getting the spoon! Not even Manly will, they bought up big! Sharks will defintely not get it as well, I would bet my life on it!

Souths will!

Jiga

*'We are the Champions' Playing in the Background*

TRIAL MATCH
Sharks : 24
def
Parra : 18

Oh yea, Sharks will be wooden spooners. The funniest part of this....the Sharks played a FULL STRENGTH Parramatta with a PREMIER LEAGUE sharks side, No Kimmorley, Dykes, Mellor, Peachey, Sullivan, Stevens, Maiava, Bailey and a host of other players!!!!!!

Sharks 'Premier League' that beat Parra

1. David Simmons
2 Nathan Merritt
3 Vince Mellars
4 Ryan McGoldrick
5 Luke Covell
6 Greg Bird
7 Russell Aitken
8 James Stosic
9 Matt Hilder
10 Keith Galloway
11 Phillip Leuluai
12 Reece Williams
13 Daniel Dumas

14 Lafi Manua
15 Luke Harlen
16 Cameron Ciraldo
17 Beau Scott
18 David Hall
19 Rhys Lovegrove
20 Clifford Manua

Premiership 2005 - Sharks

Last edited by a moderator:

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Schoolies_2004 said:
*'We are the Champions' Playing in the Background*

TRIAL MATCH
Sharks : 24
def
Parra : 18

Oh yea, Sharks will be wooden spooners. The funniest part of this....the Sharks played a FULL STRENGTH Parramatta with a PREMIER LEAGUE sharks side, No Kimmorley, Dykes, Mellor, Peachey, Sullivan, Stevens, Maiava, Bailey and a host of other players!!!!!!

Sharks 'Premier League' that beat Parra

1. David Simmons
2 Nathan Merritt
3 Vince Mellars
4 Ryan McGoldrick
5 Luke Covell
6 Greg Bird
7 Russell Aitken
8 James Stosic
9 Matt Hilder
10 Keith Galloway
11 Phillip Leuluai
12 Reece Williams
13 Daniel Dumas

14 Lafi Manua
15 Luke Harlen
16 Cameron Ciraldo
17 Beau Scott
18 David Hall
19 Rhys Lovegrove
20 Clifford Manua

Premiership 2005 - Sharks
You really are pathetic. How can you claim that the premiership already belongs to the sharks after one insignificant trial match. I'm sure that the 'dogs would have won by at least 3 times as many points.

Jiga

Maybe not the Premiership, but it just puts shame to all these people who are saying the sharks will be in the bottom 3 doesnt it? Our Premier Side beat a side packed with 1st graders, yes it was a trial, but I dont think a 1st grade side would want to be beaten like that, so thats hardly an excuse.

Im sure Sharks first grade would have also won by '3 times a many points' as well, Brian Smith has obviously done a great job with the Parra players in the off season.

From NRL site about why players didnt play against Leeds

"Willie Mason (foot), Mark O'Meley (knee) and Andrew Ryan (knee), halfback Brent Sherwin (hip), centre Ben Harris (hip) and winger Matt Utai (ankle) "

Half the teams injured, what have they been doing? Must have had some big nights up at Coffs Harbour again aye?

Jiga

Heres an article, sounds like the Sharks are ready for da Premiership to me!

After missing the NRL finals for the past two seasons, Cronulla skipper Brett Kimmorley says it's time for the club to deliver the goods.

The Sharks have bought well in the off-season, strengthened in key areas and look strong on paper.

No excuses this time.

"We've got a great squad. On paper, we're as good as any other side," said halfback Kimmorley, who will play his first match since the Tri Nations final last November in a trial against Newcastle in Gosford on February 26.

"Where Canterbury and Easts have been regularly good, we've certainly let ourselves down a few weeks in a row.

"We've bought really well and it's time we started living up to a bit of expectation."

Last year inconsistency and a lack of discipline cursed the Sharks, who disposed of top sides Brisbane and Sydney Roosters but too often dropped games they were expected to win in lacklustre efforts.

In his second year at the club, coach Stuart Raper agreed that a repeat of the club's 2004 finish of 11th on the ladder was not acceptable.

"This year we've identified areas where we need to improve and I think our personnel is strong enough to up the ante and perform," said Raper, highlighting defence as the main area of concern.

"We should be coming out and performing at a higher level than we did last year on a weekly basis.

"I know these guys are a lot better prepared this year, both physically and mentally.

"We've got a lot more depth than last year and a better standard of player.
"We're stronger all-round. Irrespective of who we're playing, I'm just looking for a good performance."

Raper brought five-eighth Adam Dykes back to the club after an injury-plagued three-year stint with Parramatta, a move Kimmorley believes will take pressure off him as chief playmaker.

The Eels released Dykes, who joined the club from Cronulla at the end of 2001, from the final year of his contract.

"I've spoken to people who've played with him in the past and they've said he plays his best footy when all he does is float around the field," said Kimmorley.

"That's what I really like. He can take some pressure off me. I can use the forwards and he can use the backs."

Bring in super sub Michael Sullivan, who played 22 of his 24 games as a strike weapon off the bench in 2004, and the Sharks will have a three-pronged attack.

Raper said: "A lot of emphasis has put on Adam but with the season that Michael Sullivan had last year, we now have three crucial areas of creativity that we didn't have last year."

Another key buy is big centre Paul Mellor (Castleford), who will add some strength to complement Nigel Vagana's speed and sublime skills. It also allows Phil Bailey to shift back into the forward pack.

Raper said fullback David Peachey would be given first shot at the No.1 jersey, despite the promising form of David Simmons last season.

Peachey, the subject of much speculation about his future before he re-signed with the Sharks on a one-year deal, will play a trial against North Queensland in Mackay on February 19.

The good news for the Sharks is that a fit Andrew Johns is likely to force Kimmorley out of the NSW Origin squad, freeing him up to concentrate on club duties.

"My main factor is that we get our club to where it should be," said Kimmorley.

"We've missed the semis for the past two years after being so close to the grand final the year before that (2002).

"The players we've bought and the expectation from the (Sutherland) area is that we should be a top side and certainly we need to prove that this year."

M | |< E

HSC
Did that article come from a local newspaper? If so it's bound to have alot of bias. The Manly Daily has been claiming that Manly will be one of the fittest teams in the NRL this year but Im reserving that judgement until Ive seen a portion of this years season. I got a huge pile of articles that have talked up the team for the 2005 season.

I'd also like to see the stats of the Parramatta v Sharks trial if you got those.

Jiga

It came from the NRL website, it hasnt got to much bias but it has quoted the players + coach so they aernt exactly going to knock their own side. Still, they sound confident!

As for stats, cant find anything, partially because it was just a trial match. All I know is that the Sharks led something like 18-0 in first half and then let Parra get back into the game.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Schoolies_2004 said:
"Willie Mason (foot), Mark O'Meley (knee) and Andrew Ryan (knee), halfback Brent Sherwin (hip), centre Ben Harris (hip) and winger Matt Utai (ankle) "

Half the teams injured, what have they been doing? Must have had some big nights up at Coffs Harbour again aye?
Have you noticed that unlike your sharkies, most of these players represented their country in the Tri-nations....this may help you to understand why they are injured. As for Brent Sherwin and Ben Harris...they have both carried hip injuries since before the Grand final.

Jiga

Kimmorley had an injury before the Tri-Nations (A hamstring, was out for 2 months with a huge tear) and played in the tri-nations and it now ok. Vagana also had an injury ealier in the year and played in the tri-nations and is ok. Apart from this, the tri-nations is ancient history, it was finsihed a while ago, long enough for ankle injuries etc to mend.

Doesnt matter, when the Sharks play the dogs there will be many injuries incured upon the dogs :)

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Schoolies_2004 said:
Doesnt matter, when the Sharks play the dogs there will be many injuries incured upon the dogs :)
The sharkies can injure our whole team if they like...but it still dosen't change the fact that the 'dogs will win.

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
the tri-nations is ancient history, it was finsihed a while ago, long enough for ankle injuries etc to mend.
ankle injury??? more like ankle surgery....

and please dont compare the best forward pack in the NRL (Bulldogs) to any other team, its an insult

Jiga

What about Masons foot injury, thats an injury that would take ages to heal....

What was he doing to get that, running from the cops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)